Debugger Out of Memory: Pdox7 for Win 3.1

Debugger Out of Memory: Pdox7 for Win 3.1

Post by R. A. Schombur » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have an application for which the .FSL file runs about 240 Kbytes, and the listing fills more
than sixty pages.  It's a tracking database for custom ic's used in our medical products.

The main form includes about ten buttons, each served by its wad of code.

This is running in a Gateway Pentium with 16 Mbytes of ram.

Any attempt to bring up the de* generates the out of memory error, and shows the spot in
the listing where it ran dry.

Same thing happens in a system with 20 Mbytes of ram.

I had seen this in version 4.5, from which I have just upgraded.

Wondering if this is due to a (modifiable) default parameter, or is it the end of the road ??

Any clue would be great !

Debugger Out of Memory: Pdox7 for Win 3.1

Post by Andrew Benne » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an application for which the .FSL file runs about 240 Kbytes, and the listing fills more
>than sixty pages.  It's a tracking database for custom ic's used in our medical products.
>The main form includes about ten buttons, each served by its wad of code.
>This is running in a Gateway Pentium with 16 Mbytes of ram.
>Any attempt to bring up the de* generates the out of memory error, and shows the spot in
>the listing where it ran dry.
>Same thing happens in a system with 20 Mbytes of ram.
>I had seen this in version 4.5, from which I have just upgraded.
>Wondering if this is due to a (modifiable) default parameter, or is it the end of the road ??
>Any clue would be great !

Check out compileInformation in the online help.  Put the code in a
button on your form and run it, and see how close you are to the 64k
code limit per form.

The de* adds overhead to the code limit, somewhere in the
neighborhood of 15-25k.  So, if your form has 40k or more of code, you
could be hitting this limit which doesn't allow you to use the
de*.

This applies to 16 bit versions of Paradox only.

Andrew
--
  Andrew Bennett

  http://www.veryComputer.com/~abennett/

Debugger Out of Memory: Pdox7 for Win 3.1

Post by R. A. Schombur » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello again:

Well, I looked into the situation and, following your advice, found that the compiled code
of my single form ran to nearly 62 Kbytes ... darn close to the 64K form limit !

So I am splitting things out into multiple forms served by a common library, and it feels much
better !

Thanks for pointing me down the right pathway !

Dick

Post by Daniel A. Morga » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have an application for which the .FSL file runs about 240 Kbytes,
> and the listing fills more than sixty pages.
> Any attempt to bring up the de* generates the out of memory error,
> and shows the spot in the listing where it ran dry.
> Same thing happens in a system with 20 Mbytes of ram.

I am not the least bit suprised.  The amount of RAM in the machine is
irrelevant to the problem that you have which is poor design.  Get that
code out of the form and into one or more libraries.  PdoxWin forms
and libraries can not be unlimited size.  This has nothing to do with
PdoxWin and everything to do with Windows resources.

Daniel Morgan
EXE Solutions

1. Formatted Fields Pdox7 Win 3.1

In a form a field displaying a formated memo.  Setting the font
properties in design mode effects the text displayed only with "complete
display" set to off. Once the field has focus the text displays in
(possibly) some other default font size.
Question:  How do you set the default font size of a formatted memo?
Is there not a property for this somewhere?
I can change the font size every time the field gets focus, but that is
a bit cumbersome.
Any help would be appreciated,
Mark

2. calling stored proc in UDB2 V7

3. Graph Disapears Pdox7 Win 3.1

4. Restructurering Paradox 7

5. Changing Open Order-Forms Pdox7 Win 3.1

6. Qustion about Object Models

7. Lost Clusters Pdox7 Win 3.1

8. US-FL-ORACLE APPS DBA

9. Restructuring an existing database in PDOX7 for Win 3.1

10. Using Debugger in a library method: Pdox 7 for Win 3.1

11. HELP!!Win 3.1 Client <==>Win NT Sql Server

12. VB3 program OK in WIn 3.1 but not in WIN 95

13. Creating Win 3.1 apps/network apps in win 95