PDXWIN5.0; OPAL Changing DataModel

Post by John Bake » Fri, 24 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi all.  The situation is this:

A department had two tables that had a master-child relationship.  They
were HUGE.  For performance reasons they broke this table into 16
master-child pairs, for a total of 32 tables.  Of course, these tables
have the same structure as the originals.  This is done, and they will
not undo it.

I have a form with 16 buttons on it, where the user can press on the
button representing which table pair they want to view.

I want to design a form whose data model is changed on the fly by this
first form using OPAL, which displays one master record and a
table-object showing detail records.  This form will have heavy
customization of fonts, frames, colors, etc.  Could someone post/email
a code snippet for doing this?

By the way, the strategy of basing the form on a query result is much
too slow.

Thanks in advance if you can tell me how to do this.  I could hammer it
out; but this needs to get done soon and I'm already working overtime
on another project all through the Thanksgiving holiday. :(
--
John Baker
"What the hell does that mean?  Huh?  'China is here.'?

PDXWIN5.0; OPAL Changing DataModel

Post by Gene Griswol » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Beleive me when I say I've tried to do what you want and it can't be
done. You can't get paradox to resync the datamodel after changes to
links; and if you change to tablename of a TFrame, everything in it
changes as it is when you first dropped it in the design. Sucks.

The simple work-around is to create 16 forms plus one with the selection
buttons on it. Call the 16 from the 1.

Gene G.

1. Help pls..Datamodel change control

Are there any tools for datamodel changes control for informix database.

database    change controls.  In this case, the development team wants to
understand what
   changes have been made to the underlying data model -- what fields or tables
   or relationships have been added or deleted or modified.  Also, it's the
kind of tool that   is more likely to be very database specific.  That is, the
tools developed
   and used for SQL Server would be quite different than those used for
   Informix,

2. Multiple languages in cube

3. changing datamodel

4. Data tranformation from MS Access

5. Change ALIAS in DataModel

6. Integration with Phone Systems

7. How to change db dir in datamodel?

8. Updating Columns That Are Part Of Indexes

9. How can I change the screen font used in the OPAL editing window

10. Changing Top Margin of report using OPAL

11. Changing field types in opal....

12. Changing working Dir unde OPAL?

13. Changing linked fields using OPAL