help help help help help help help help help

help help help help help help help help help

Post by r.. » Tue, 11 Jan 1994 23:23:37

Our machine crashed without warning. The reason for the crash
has not been determined as it automatically rebooted itself.

PROBLEM
-------

The machine rebooted and following appropriate file system
checks came up fine, however, Informix will refuse to go
into Quiescent mode. The shared memory seems to initialise
o.k but when the engine attempts recovery mode, the "tbinit"
process dies and dumps core. The "tbmonitor" program
reports the following error :- ** WARNING: Daemon Died **

Further details follow :-

ENVIRONMENT INFO:
-----------------

Machine = i80486
OS = SCO Unix 3.2v4.1

INFORMIX VERSIONS
-----------------

INFORMIX EMBEDDED SQL for C Version 4.10.UG1
Copyright (C) 1984-1991 Informix Software, Inc.
INFORMIX-4GL Interactive De* Version 4.10.UE2
Copyright (C) 1984-1991 Informix Software, Inc.
INFORMIX-4GL Development System Version 4.10.UE2
Copyright (C) 1984-1991 Informix Software, Inc.
INFORMIX-SQL Version 4.10.UE2
Copyright (C) 1984-1991 Informix Software, Inc.
INFORMIX-OnLine Version 4.10.UG1
Copyright (C) 1986-1991 Informix Software, Inc.
INFORMIX-STAR Version 4.10.UD2
Copyright (C) 1988-1991 Informix Software, Inc.

INFORMIX LOG FILE
-----------------

18:57:11  Logical Log 1186 Complete
18:58:09  Checkpoint Completed
19:03:29  Checkpoint Completed
19:14:09  Checkpoint Completed
19:19:28  Checkpoint Completed
19:24:49  Checkpoint Completed
19:30:08  Checkpoint Completed
19:41:20  Process Aborted Abnormally: pid=26767 user=217 us=80401ddc flags=1
19:46:09  Checkpoint Completed
19:51:28  Checkpoint Completed

Thu Jan  6 20:44:47 1994

20:44:47  INFORMIX-OnLine Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized
20:44:47  Physical Recovery Started
20:44:47  Checkpoint Completed
20:44:47  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored
20:44:49  Dropping temporary partition 10000cd, recovering 8 pages.
20:44:49  INFORMIX-OnLine Must ABORT
        Log Error 'logsetup() - Overwrite log'
        us 0x804019cc pid 366 us_flags 0x301
        tx 0x804026cc tx_flags 0x200003 tx_loguniq 0 tx_logpos 0x0
20:44:49  -- Online Aborting -- us=804019cc, pid=366, uid=201

Questions:

1. Is there any way of getting Informix-Online running again using
   the normal startup procedures ?
2. If the normal startup procedures cannot be used are there any
   tools or "back-door" procedures we could use ?.
3. If not, is there a way of at least getting to the databases and
   dumping out the data so that it can be loaded into a fresh
   installation ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

ron

help help help help help help help help help

Post by Yogen Sangha » Wed, 12 Jan 1994 02:05:58

WE had a similar problem a while ago, I don't remember all of the details
but I know that Informix wouldn't start after a hardware crash.  One of
the Informix tech support person logged on to our system and he managed to
start the online engine.  I think there is an undocumented way of starting
the engine without going through "Logical recovery phase".  If you do manage
to start the server please post on the net how you did it. Thanks.

-------
Yogen
ICon Inc.

(212)972-4266

: -------

: The machine rebooted and following appropriate file system
: checks came up fine, however, Informix will refuse to go
: into Quiescent mode. The shared memory seems to initialise
: o.k but when the engine attempts recovery mode, the "tbinit"
: process dies and dumps core. The "tbmonitor" program
: reports the following error :- ** WARNING: Daemon Died **

: Further details follow :-

: ENVIRONMENT INFO:
: -----------------

: Machine = i80486
: OS = SCO Unix 3.2v4.1

: INFORMIX VERSIONS
: -----------------

[...]

Post by Paul Hatche » Thu, 13 Jan 1994 01:06:17

They have a program that they put on our system to do just that, but then
removed it again :-(

Paul

help help help help help help help help help

Post by Karla Leibowi » Thu, 13 Jan 1994 06:46:38

We lost our root chunk for a moment and of course the database went
down in flames.  When we tried to recover we had a problem similar
to yours:  the DAEMON DIED message appeared and we could not convince
the database that it was no longer recovering.  What followed was,
of course, a very long evening.  We thought that the last log on
the tape was bad, and was causing the recovery to fail.

After several failed attempts to restore, I recovered the database
from an earlier archive and rolled forward.  It hung on the bad log.
So we restored again, and then rolled forward logs, this time stopping
before the latest tape.  The message "Recovery complete" appeared in
the Informix turbo.log .  The tbmonitor said something like "Please wait..."
but we also saw the "DAEMON DIED" message.  The tbmonitor ticked away
for about 45 minutes.  I got tired of waiting and killed off the four
orphaned tbinit -rs processes (spawn of a dead daemon perhaps???)
that I saw running and then killed off the hung tbmonitor process.
When I brought tbmonitor back up, I was able to bring the database into
quiescent mode and then online.  The turbo.log recorded some messages
that looked usual for database startup: some kind of recovery and a
cleanup of temp tables.  A succession of tbchecks confirmed that all
was right in the database, although we were a day behind.  Fortunately,
on that particular day for that particular database being a day behind
was not a problem.  I did not experiment with rolling through the bad
log and killing tbinits.  After 6 hours of spinning tapes, I went home.

Most of this disaster occurred after Informix tech support hours.

I reported the problem to Informix, and they tried to duplicate it but
failed.  They did not recover from tape, though.  I gave up with them
after they asked me to try it again here.

Our platform:
   SCO Unix 3.2.4.1 on a i80486
   Informix Online 5.01.UD2

Sigh.

Post by Rajhans G. Taw » Sat, 22 Jan 1994 02:11:06

[...]

You can boot the unix box in a single user mode (by logging into as root).
As the system is crashed, On-line is not shut down properly. You
need to bypass the normal start-up procedures and go in multi-user mode.
Then depending on the current mode of On-line, it can be brought-down or
brought-up in quiscent mode using tbmonitor. This may take some time, as it
may go into a recovery mode.
I do not claim that this will work perfectly, but it is worth giving a try.

: 3. If not, is there a way of at least getting to the databases and
:    dumping out the data so that it can be loaded into a fresh
:    installation ?

If you have another unix box, configured to the crashed one using I-STAR,
there is a possibility of recovering your data. You may have to read thru
manuals for this.

: Any help will be greatly appreciated,

: ron

 Regards.

- Rajhans.

CSC Intelicom                      Voice   : (303) 643 1476
116 Inverness Drive East           Fax     : (303) 792 0319
Englewood, CO 80112                Standard Disclaimers Apply.

1. help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,

Hi,
I have a small problem, and if you know the answer I would really be
thankful for your help.
I have an access database which is called "Client.mdb"
on a form, I displayed a dbcombox for the costumer's name
a textbox for the address
a textbox for the city
a textbox for the state
and a textbox for the zipcode

on all my textboxes and the dbcombobox I have set their Datasource and
Datafield properties to Data1,
when I run the program the information on the first record of the data shows
on the form,

but what I need to do is, when I change the costumer's name on the
dbcombobox (which displays all of the costumer's names on it) I want the
textboxes to show the address, city, state, and zipcode of the costumer I
have choosen,

Thank you in advance,
Enrique G Lugo

2. Default Databse won't stay selected

3. Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,

4. pgsql/src/backend/commands rename.c

5. SQL To ORACLE Help Help Help Help Help

6. Btrieve to Paradox

7. query:HELP! HELP HELP HELP HELP

8. Oracle won't guarantee HINT?

9. Help help help help

10. HELP HELP HELP HELP!

11. HELP HELP HELP HELP

12. HELP HELP HELP

13. Refresh Test Environment help help help