Informix 9.4 fails on Red Hat: Beware of glibc-2.3.2-4.80

Informix 9.4 fails on Red Hat: Beware of glibc-2.3.2-4.80

Post by John Chant » Fri, 16 May 2003 04:52:23

I had the same issue while trying
to upgrade from Informix 9.21 to 9.4 on Linux to glibc 2.2.x.

ADM VP and "oninit -i" just hangs.

So what is IBM Informix 's recommendation for Informix 9.4 on Red Hat ?

JohnC

> I have spent a painful few days trying to get any version of Informix (from
> 9.21 up to 9.40) to "init -i" on a fresh Red Hat 8.0 install. I would
> completely reinstall Red Hat 8 (reformat & partition), get the system
> configured, run up2date, and then install Informix. However, I could not get
> the "oninit -i" to work - it kept dying after trying to bring up the ADM VP.
> When I did the same steps as above without running up2date, the oninit -i
> worked!!!! (I do remember an Informix vs. glibc issue back around the 7.1
> version, so that's what made me think that the glibc might be the issue).

> The glibc that is part of the Red Hat 8.0 install is 2.2.93-5 and the
> version that up2date installs is 2.3.2-4.80 (I remember some kind of
> security bug that was "fixed" sometime in the last 2 weeks).

> Just passing my experience on - from all the googling I did trying to
> research this, I saw a few other reports of the issue, but didn't see any
> solutions.

Informix 9.4 fails on Red Hat: Beware of glibc-2.3.2-4.80

Post by David William » Fri, 16 May 2003 06:36:04

Quote:> I had the same issue while trying
> to upgrade from Informix 9.21 to 9.4 on Linux to glibc 2.2.x.

> ADM VP and "oninit -i" just hangs.

  What does oninit -ivy give?
  strace of the vp's at the hang gives?
  Is RESIDENT set to 0 or 1, set to 1 gives complete system hangs on some
versions
  of Linux/glibc/Informix! Try set to 0.

> So what is IBM Informix 's recommendation for Informix 9.4 on Red Hat ?

> JohnC

> > I have spent a painful few days trying to get any version of Informix
(from
> > 9.21 up to 9.40) to "init -i" on a fresh Red Hat 8.0 install. I would
> > completely reinstall Red Hat 8 (reformat & partition), get the system
> > configured, run up2date, and then install Informix. However, I could not
get
> > the "oninit -i" to work - it kept dying after trying to bring up the ADM
VP.
> > When I did the same steps as above without running up2date, the
oninit -i
> > worked!!!! (I do remember an Informix vs. glibc issue back around the
7.1
> > version, so that's what made me think that the glibc might be the
issue).

> > The glibc that is part of the Red Hat 8.0 install is 2.2.93-5 and the
> > version that up2date installs is 2.3.2-4.80 (I remember some kind of
> > security bug that was "fixed" sometime in the last 2 weeks).

> > Just passing my experience on - from all the googling I did trying to
> > research this, I saw a few other reports of the issue, but didn't see
any
> > solutions.

Informix 9.4 fails on Red Hat: Beware of glibc-2.3.2-4.80

Post by Murray Woo » Fri, 16 May 2003 09:35:31

What glibc version did you purchase your IDS 9.4 for?  Do you have a
mismatch?

Post by Ronald Col » Fri, 16 May 2003 18:51:04

> > > I had the same issue while trying to upgrade from Informix 9.21
> > > to 9.4 on Linux to glibc 2.2.x.

> > > ADM VP and "oninit -i" just hangs.

> >   What does oninit -ivy give?
> >   strace of the vp's at the hang gives?
> >   Is RESIDENT set to 0 or 1, set to 1 gives complete system hangs
> >   on some versions of Linux/glibc/Informix! Try set to 0.

> > > So what is IBM Informix 's recommendation for Informix 9.4 on
> > > Red Hat ?

Yuk!  I think I got the attributes right when I reformatted this
"wretched" top-posted mess.  Apologies if I didn't.

Anyway, Red Hat *horribly* botched glibc-2.3.2-4.80.  You'll need to
be getting and installing glibc-2.3.2-4.80.6 so your stuff works again.
See the Red Hat RHSA-2003:089-11 advisory for more info.

Quote:> What glibc version did you purchase your IDS 9.4 for?  Do you have a
> mismatch?

IDS-9.40.UC1 was built on RHL7.2, so a properly ported app *should*
run on any Red Hat release version 7.2 or greater.  That said, there
are known problems with IDS referencing errno directly and its i686
pthread library calling internal glibc functions (both porting
no-no's).  Also, IDS does not yet support NPTL (new feature in glibc)
in RHL9.

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

Informix 9.4 fails on Red Hat: Beware of glibc-2.3.2-4.80

Post by Adam Tauno William » Fri, 16 May 2003 22:50:44

Quote:> Anyway, Red Hat *horribly* botched glibc-2.3.2-4.80.  You'll need to
> be getting and installing glibc-2.3.2-4.80.6 so your stuff works again.
> See the Red Hat RHSA-2003:089-11 advisory for more info.
> > What glibc version did you purchase your IDS 9.4 for?  Do you have a
> > mismatch?
> IDS-9.40.UC1 was built on RHL7.2, so a properly ported app *should*
> run on any Red Hat release version 7.2 or greater.  That said, there
> are known problems with IDS referencing errno directly and its i686
> pthread library calling internal glibc functions (both porting
> no-no's).  Also, IDS does not yet support NPTL (new feature in glibc)
> in RHL9.

Yep, I upgraded our intranet server to RH9 last night and Apache/PHP now
just hangs whenever it tries to connect to Informix (gak!).  This is
only a client, server is else and using the same binaries as it did
before the upgrade.

It just stalls at -
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=83535, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1,
0) = 0x40017000
read(3, "#*******************************"..., 4096) = 4096
read(3, ", it will return the\n#    code-s"..., 4096) = 4096
futex(0x8355650, FUTEX_WAIT, -39, NULL

If you try to rebuild PHP it dies at -
/usr/local/informix/lib/esql/libifgls.so: undefined reference to
`__ctype_b'
/usr/local/informix/lib/esql/libifgls.so: undefined reference to
`__ctype_toupper'
/usr/local/informix/lib/esql/libifgls.so: undefined reference to
`__ctype_tolower'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [sapi/cgi/php] Error 1

So I have to reinstall RH8 just to be able to connect to the
database.... grrrr.....

1. Beware of glibc-2.3.2-4.80!!!

[...]

2. pgsql-server/src/pl/tcl Tag: REL7_3_STABLE pltcl.c

3. IDS 9.4 install on RED HAT 8.0

4. contract to perm job For a Sybase DBA in Austin Texas

5. Red Hat 7.3 and Red Hat 8.0

6. "Contains" problems

7. Red Hat 8.0 glibc-2.3.2-4.80 update and IDS-9.30.UC2...

8. Move datafile

9. Informix 9.4 install failed

10. Informix 9.4 installs & initializes on Red Hat 9

11. PG7.2 gmake fails under Red Hat 5.2 due to peercred

12. Oracle 9i on Red Hat 7.3 - Default sysdba login failed