Need benchmarks for LARGE db's on Unix (10's of Gig)

Need benchmarks for LARGE db's on Unix (10's of Gig)

Post by Kevin Dombros » Thu, 11 Jun 1992 06:55:13

Hi,
        We are scoping/designing a system's integration project and need numbers
that show how Unix performs with a LARGE database. Information on Teradata would
also be helpful. The current debate is where to put the database: on the Unix
box or on the Mainframe? Obviously a high-end (mainframe equivalent) Unix
machine must be involved. I'm interested in benchmarks for large databases - in
the range of 10's of gigabytes. If you have worked with any databases of this
size on Unix and could provide any of the following, it would be greatly
appreciated:

Platform:
Database Size:
Performance:
Aids/Tools to tune:

Any other information would be helpful as well. ADVthanksANCE.

                        Kevin Dombroski

Kevin M. Dombroski                  | "One good thing about music,
Cambridge Technology Partners       |  When it hits, you feel no pain...."

Need benchmarks for LARGE db's on Unix (10's of Gig)

Post by Naomi Walk » Sun, 14 Jun 1992 16:43:12

Quote:

> Hi,
>    We are scoping/designing a system's integration project and need numbers
> that show how Unix performs with a LARGE database. Information on Teradata would
> also be helpful. The current debate is where to put the database: on the Unix
> box or on the Mainframe? Obviously a high-end (mainframe equivalent) Unix
> machine must be involved. I'm interested in benchmarks for large databases - in
> the range of 10's of gigabytes. If you have worked with any databases of this
> size on Unix and could provide any of the following, it would be greatly
> appreciated:

> Platform:
> Database Size:
> Performance:
> Aids/Tools to tune:

I would also be interested in this information.  We use informix, and soon
will have a customer coming online with a 60 gig database.  I cringe to
think of how long it will take to maintain this puppy (ie. emergency table
unloads/dbexport type stuff).

We have seen firsthand that creating and dropping indicies on huge tables
(>1 million or so rows) causes problems.  I'm sure there are more gotchas.

--
  Naomi Walker  (aka N7FSA)        Anasazi Inc.  Phoenix, Arizona

  Imagine the Universe Beautiful, Just, and Perfect. (Messiahs Handbook)

1. Need benchmarks for LARGE db's on Unix (10's of Gig)

[...]

2. Enterprise Manager fills up the log

3. 10 GIG DB....growing to 20 GIG....suggestions?

4. Can't resize Canvas

5. Replicating a large (10 Gig) with Merge

6. PostgreSQL article

7. Other with large 15 Gig + system 10 databases

8. recursivity sucks!

9. Large Unix Sun DB 12 Gig

10. EBF's and Sybase 10.0.2.5 vs 10.0.2.7

11. Big User's Group Mtg - Orlando 10/24 to 10/28

12. CONVERT(DATETIME, '2003-08-29 09:58:10', 102))

13. Network error '-10'