Setup of disk chunks for online under AIX 4.1.3

Setup of disk chunks for online under AIX 4.1.3

Post by Stewart Hag » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I know that buy the manual, Informix recommends using raw disk for it's disk
chunks under online, but our supplier has said that it should be configured
using "cooked" files.

They argue that the AIX operating system is reliable enough to protect the
disk updates, and the use of  "cooked" files makes the set up and mamagment
much easier.

I was wondering if anyone had any facts/experiances with this.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post by Peter Tashko » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I know that buy the manual, Informix recommends using raw disk for it's disk
>chunks under online, but our supplier has said that it should be configured
>using "cooked" files.
>They argue that the AIX operating system is reliable enough to protect the
>disk updates, and the use of  "cooked" files makes the set up and mamagment
>much easier.
>I was wondering if anyone had any facts/experiances with this.
>Any feedback would be appreciated.
>Thanks.

Will your 'supplier's' job be on the line (as yours may be)
when the system crashes with unflushed transactions still
sitting in the AIX buffers?
Online is designed and optimised for use with raw partitions,
there are lots of reasons for this.  Is your 'supplier' giving you
geniune advice or does he just not want to own up to
not knowing about raw partitions, what they are used for,
and how they work?
--

Peter Tashkoff
Auckland, New Zealand

Setup of disk chunks for online under AIX 4.1.3

Post by Mark Sigle » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Indeed you should be using raw partitions against the logical volumns
for performance and integrity.

--
Mark Sigler
Client Services Engineer

Post by Billy Wheel » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I know that buy the manual, Informix recommends using raw disk for it's disk
>chunks under online, but our supplier has said that it should be configured
>using "cooked" files.
>They argue that the AIX operating system is reliable enough to protect the
>disk updates, and the use of  "cooked" files makes the set up and mamagment
>much easier.

Yes, but using cooked files can cause a serious performance
bottleneck. Also, using cooked files means that Informix cannot
guarantee the integrity of the data. I would *seriously* not advise
the use of cooked file - they sound like they're just to lazy to
figure out how to do it! :)

Quote:>I was wondering if anyone had any facts/experiances with this.

Only IMHO's ! :)

Quote:>Any feedback would be appreciated.

You're welcome...

Welcome to the place where the weird is normal and the normal
is banned ...

Setup of disk chunks for online under AIX 4.1.3

Post by Stuart Hemmin » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Yes, but using cooked files can cause a serious performance
> bottleneck. Also, using cooked files means that Informix cannot
> guarantee the integrity of the data. I would *seriously* not advise
> the use of cooked file - they sound like they're just to lazy to
> figure out how to do it! :)

The generally agreed wisdom here is that you should you raw files but let
AIX/hardware do the disk mirroring.

These are *my* opinions. Please don't make the mistake of believing
anybody else is stupid enough to think like this!

 The Data Base                      | Tel: + 44 (0) 115 925 0005
 Nottingham UK                      | Fax: + 44 (0) 115 925 0951

1. Setup of disk chunks for online under AIX 4.1.3

->
->
->I know that buy the manual, Informix recommends using raw disk for it's disk
->chunks under online, but our supplier has said that it should be configured
->using "cooked" files.
->
->They argue that the AIX operating system is reliable enough to protect the
->disk updates, and the use of  "cooked" files makes the set up and mamagment
->much easier.
->
->I was wondering if anyone had any facts/experiances with this.

When we first came up on OnLine under AIX (I think 3 1/2 years ago), we
had separate databases in the same OnLine instance, 1 in raw space two
in cooked space.  The only trouble we ever had was the cooked chunks
going down.  After the second time this happened, we converted all cooked
spaces to raw spaces.  I wouldn't use cooked again, call me superstitious,
but...

Regards,

- Cathy

Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital     Fax:   (970) 491-1205

2. HELP : updating an attached ORACLE-table from ACCESS2.0

3. Grrrrrr.......Online 7.1 on AIX setup

4. moving data from sybase/ms sql server to oracle

5. NT MS-SQL

6. AIX disk mirroring versus specifying separate physical disks

7. Opinions - Teach Yourself SQL Server 2000 in 21 Days

8. DB2 Client(AIX) -> Server(AIX) setup

9. Disk mirroring using a RAID disk setup

10. IBM AIX, Raw Chunks

11. Adding chunks (Informix 5, under AIX 4)