Kagel′s dostats installation in Linux

Post by Daniel Cast » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 05:08:30

I am a linux newbie and a informix dba newbie, so I am sorry about my
stupid questions " ;)
I need to know the pre-requisites and how to install Kagels dostats
in RH linux 7.3 with informix dynamic server . I am having a problem
with update statistics and my research in internet tells me that it
probably can be solved by this application.
Please if you can send a step by step installation ...

Thank you all for your attention,

Daniel Castro

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 05:22:11

> I am a linux newbie and a informix dba newbie, so I am sorry about my
> stupid questions " ;)
> I need to know the pre-requisites and how to install Kagels dostats
> in RH linux 7.3 with informix dynamic server . I am having a problem
> with update statistics and my research in internet tells me that it
> probably can be solved by this application.
> Please if you can send a step by step installation ...

Make sure you have the C development environment installed on your
machine.  You need cc or gcc; you also need make.  Without those, you
will get nowhere.

Make sure you have the Informix Client SDK installed, so you can
compile ESQL/C programs.  You should ideally ensure it works before
trying to build dostats - but if you're a newbie you probably don't
have a convenient simple test program to ensure that CSDK (ESQL/C)
does work.

Download the source from the IIUG web site -- utils2_ak.gz.

Unpack the source in a new, empty directory.  It is a gzipped shell
archive, so you do 'gzip -cd utils2_ak.gz | sh' (or you can use ksh or
bash - I doubt if C shell will work).

Check the contents of Makefile.

Run: make dostats

Copy dostats to a convenient bin directory on your PATH.  Maybe
install drive_dostats too.

Use it.

--
Jonathan Leffler                   #include <disclaimer.h>

1. dostats does not compile on Linux

Hi Roland,

I'm posting this to several of the IIUG lists and CDI since it's generally
useful, hope that's OK with you.

Arrgghh!!  This is due to a change I had to make because some UNIXes (notably
AIX) do not have a getopt.h but include the definitions for getopt() and optarg
in stdlib.h.  Because of this earlier releases of dostats would not compile on
AIX.  Linux does have getopt.h and it IS included from stdio.h (and unistd.h for
 that matter) which the new dostats.ec includes, unfortunately, which I did not
notice before, getopt.h is only included if you #define __USE_XOPEN or #define
__USE_XOPEN2K.  So either

- add a #define for one of these before the first #include statement
- add -D__USE_XOPEN to the esql commandline
- BEST OPTION (since I do not know what other side-effects the defines will
have):  uncomment the #include "getopt.h" that is commented out at the end of
the #include list (just before the first EXEC SQL INCLUDE line) probably around
line 218 or so.

Note for the lists:  I will replace the #include with a specific ifdef for Linux
 in the next release.  If anyone else has a problem compiling on some platform
please let me know and I'll add to the ifdef'd platforms that get the #include.

Art S. Kagel

2. FM 5 pro on Win NT 4: incorrect installation, missing system components

3. Art Kagel 'dostats.ec' - compiling on HP-UX

4. Non-linear performance

5. Mr Art Kagel

6. * ORACLE DBA Positions ($85-120K)

7. SQL View

8. Where is Art Kagel?

9. Record Locks - Continuing Saga... (RE: Art S. Kagel)

10. for Art S Kagel--iiug prog compilaton errors

11. PostgreSQL 7.1 Linux Installation