Our company is a s/w house located in Singapore. We have developed an C/S
application using Informix Online 6.0 and Gupta SQLWindows 4.01. The
middle-wares we used are FTP's PC/TCP s/w for DOS/Win ver 4.31, I-NET for
DOS 4.10 and Gupta SQLrouter ver 2.1.
For cost reason, currently we are thinking of having a Standard Engine
version of our application. According to the Informix FAQ, following are
the difference between SE and Online Engine:
Standard Engine (or just "SE")
* Low administration requirements
* Suitable for small to medium databases
* Runs on "cooked" file-systems.
* Relatively high administration requirements
* Copes well with large databases
* Enhanced data types to cope with binary data, like pictures and
sounds (ie: BLOBs and BYTEs)
* Runs on "raw" file-systems (so faster than SE)
* Gives the ability to backup while the DB is still running
* Gives the ability to handle distributed databases (Informix-STAR)
Can anyone who has the working experience on both the above engines
provides us with a details comparison on the SE and the Online Engine, and
may be suggest the areas to look into before porting our application from
the Online Engine to SE.
Thanks in advance.