How to create .WK1 files?

Post by Stu Mill » Mon, 30 May 1994 11:52:52

Hi,
Bit of a newbie question for you.  First of all, I am not a programmer but
I am responsible for installing and configuring (basically writing a bunch
of ACE reports and database definition) a "mission critical" application (a
Laboratory Information Management System or LIMS) sold to us by a 3rd
party in the U.S.
One of the requests from our clients is for data files (reports) from the
system in Lotus .WK1 format.  Remembering that I am not a programmer but
an adept hacker, is it possible to create a report that writes output to a
file in .WK1 format or does this require some fancy C application(s)?

Any advice or leads to pursue on this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Stu

O   N   T   A   R   I   O       Stu Miller - Data Management Tech
   _/_/_/    _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/   MNDM - GEOSCIENCE LABS

_/   _/_/ _/        _/    _/    voice:(705)670-5635  FAX:(705)670-3047
_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/  S  E  R  V  I  C  E  S    C  E  N  T  R  E

How to create .WK1 files?

Post by Stu Mill » Mon, 30 May 1994 12:23:55

>Hi,
>Bit of a newbie question for you.  First of all, I am not a programmer but
>I am responsible for installing and configuring (basically writing a bunch
>of ACE reports and database definition) a "mission critical" application (a
>Laboratory Information Management System or LIMS) sold to us by a 3rd
>party in the U.S.
>One of the requests from our clients is for data files (reports) from the
>system in Lotus .WK1 format.  Remembering that I am not a programmer but
>an adept hacker, is it possible to create a report that writes output to a
>file in .WK1 format or does this require some fancy C application(s)?
>Any advice or leads to pursue on this would be greatly appreciated.
>TIA,
>Stu
>--
>O   N   T   A   R   I   O       Stu Miller - Data Management Tech
>   _/_/_/    _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/   MNDM - GEOSCIENCE LABS

>_/   _/_/ _/        _/    _/    voice:(705)670-5635  FAX:(705)670-3047
>_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/   _/_/_/  S  E  R  V  I  C  E  S    C  E  N  T  R  E

Sorry forgot some NB info!

Application uses Informix for DOS v4.10 SE.

Stu

How to create .WK1 files?

Post by Dave Finl » Tue, 31 May 1994 07:43:04

Stu Miller wrote ....

Hi,
Bit of a newbie question for you.  First of all, I am not a programmer but
I am responsible for installing and configuring (basically writing a bunch
of ACE reports and database definition) a "mission critical" application (a
Laboratory Information Management System or LIMS) sold to us by a 3rd
party in the U.S.
One of the requests from our clients is for data files (reports) from the
system in Lotus .WK1 format.  Remembering that I am not a programmer but
an adept hacker, is it possible to create a report that writes output to a
file in .WK1 format or does this require some fancy C application(s)?

Any advice or leads to pursue on this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Stu
--

Stu and all,

You don't have to go to C. Instead, you should consider the following

1.- Put your output into a "simple" comma-delimited ASCII file. Lotus (and
most) spreadsheets can "easily" import this format.

2.- Use a Microsoft Access front-end, and attach your database to it.
MS-Access provides a "TransferSpreadsheet" action as part of Access Basic.
Use this to export your attached data to an appropriate spreadsheet file.

3.- If you prefer, you might also look into Visual Basic. You might be able
to provide something a little smaller and faster, but at the expense of
more development time.

Hope this advice is helpful.

Dave Finley

How to create .WK1 files?

Post by Stu Mill » Wed, 01 Jun 1994 02:53:24

Quote:>Stu Miller wrote ....

(stuf removed)

Quote:>One of the requests from our clients is for data files (reports) from the
>system in Lotus .WK1 format.  Remembering that I am not a programmer but
>an adept hacker, is it possible to create a report that writes output to a
>file in .WK1 format or does this require some fancy C application(s)?
>Any advice or leads to pursue on this would be greatly appreciated.
>TIA,
>Stu

(stuff added that was posted in a follow-up)
I neglected to mention that the application uses Informix for DOS v4.10SE
as a backend.

>--
>Stu and all,
>You don't have to go to C. Instead, you should consider the following
>1.- Put your output into a "simple" comma-delimited ASCII file. Lotus (and
>most) spreadsheets can "easily" import this format.
>2.- Use a Microsoft Access front-end, and attach your database to it.
>MS-Access provides a "TransferSpreadsheet" action as part of Access Basic.
>Use this to export your attached data to an appropriate spreadsheet file.
>3.- If you prefer, you might also look into Visual Basic. You might be able
>to provide something a little smaller and faster, but at the expense of
>more development time.
>Hope this advice is helpful.
>Dave Finley

Thanks to Dave and others for your responses.  However, (don't you hate
those) our clients are demanding native format .WK1 files to be loaded
into another application that is not a spreadsheet or database
application.  Apparently they aren't _comfortable_ (read into this as much
as you see fit) having to take an ASCII file into Lotus or Excel, parsing
and then saving as .WK1 files.

That said, how tough is it to create a native format Lotus .WK1 file?  If
any of you have tried to do this please let me know if you have had any
success.  Also, if you know of any source code (ACE or C) available to do
this I'd be greatful for any info.

Thanks again,
Stu

How to create .WK1 files?

Post by m.. » Wed, 01 Jun 1994 19:12:04

IM>One of the requests from our clients is for data files (reports) from the
IM>system in Lotus .WK1 format.  Remembering that I am not a programmer but
IM>an adept hacker, is it possible to create a report that writes output to a
IM>file in .WK1 format or does this require some fancy C application(s)?

We use ODBC to extract data from an ODBC source (our accounts package
database) directly into Excel and Lotus under the Windows environment.
It works great, and is very flexible.

The opinions stated are not necessarily those of the Houston BBS, or
Houston Crest, or of the person stating them. Everything is relative.

How to create .WK1 files?

Post by Douglas Mas » Fri, 03 Jun 1994 01:28:37

You can also use the DataLens feature of 1-2-3 for Windows to read in the
Informix file and spew out a .WK1 format file.

You could also use Approach for Windows from Lotus with the correct ODBC
driver.  It's a Windows database for end-users that is ODBC compliant and
can SaveAs a file into just about ANY file format.  I think that Q+E can
do this too...

--Doug

1. Open Lotus WK1 file - HELP!

The short version:

Please post code detailing how to open a Lotus WK1 file.  If there's
such a thing as "table" names for WK1 files, I won't know them as I'm
processing files coming from all over.

The long version:

Okay, I'm about to go THERMAL!  I've searched all over trying to figure
this out, and I just can't.  Perhaps it's right under my nose and I'm
too exasperated to see it, but I'd like some help.

I want to open a WK1 file in VB.  I'll use DAO/ADO/RDO, I don't care.
I just want to be able to open a WK1 file and inspect it's contents.
Could someone please post some sample code as to how to do this?

I've gotten close, but it seems I need to know the name of the table
within the file.  Well, there doesn't seem to be any, and more
importantly, if there are any internal names to WK1 files, I'll never
know exactly what they are.

Once again, I've gone stupid trying to figure this out, so I'm looking
for good, old-fashioned code samples here.

--
David

(remove YOURPANTS to email me, I don't check my dejanews account)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Btrieve ODBC problems

3. Accessing LOTUS files .wk1

4. SQL Formatter Wanted

5. Open Lotus WK1 file - HELP!

6. Paging through long text stored in single row and column

7. Export to *.wk1

8. How much memory?

9. Connect Lotus WK1?

10. VB4-16 bit no Lotus WK1 ISAM ???

11. Reading WKS/WK1 from VB

12. VB4-16 bit no Lotus WK1 ISAM ???

13. Paradox7 to Lotus123 .WK1 export problem