Urgent :Migration of Informix 4GL to Web based application

Urgent :Migration of Informix 4GL to Web based application

Post by KAPIL KAPO » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:12:37

Hi

 I have a huge and very large and complex legacy 4GL application and
would like to migrate to web based forms without touching the server side
4GL logic . What is the easiest way to do so without rewriting the logic

Waiting for urgent reply

Urgent :Migration of Informix 4GL to Web based application

Post by Obnoxio The Clo » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:33:15

4Js?? Querix??

>Hi

> I have a huge and very large and complex legacy 4GL application and
>would like to migrate to web based forms without touching the server side
>4GL logic . What is the easiest way to do so without rewriting the logic

>Waiting for urgent reply

Urgent :Migration of Informix 4GL to Web based application

Post by Ira D. Baxte » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:41:06

If it is huge and complex, whatever you do will be hard.
So I'd prefer to characterize this as "least painful" rather than "easiest".

Large scale source code bases in practice are very
difficult to change manually.  What you need is a tool
that can carry out massive source code modifications
reliably.

We offer such a tool and related services.
The tool is strong enough to carry out conversions between
langauges, such as JOVIAL (a 1970s Defense langauge)
to C.   It is agile with respect to source and target languages,
and how the translation needs to be effected.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html.

If  you are interested in discussing the problem further,
please contact me.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D. CTO Semantic Designs, Inc.
http://www.semdesigns.com

> Hi

>  I have a huge and very large and complex legacy 4GL application and
> would like to migrate to web based forms without touching the server side
> 4GL logic . What is the easiest way to do so without rewriting the logic

> Waiting for urgent reply

Urgent :Migration of Informix 4GL to Web based application

Post by ROBERT B VORBROKE » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:43:14

No I don't get a cut but using Four J's Development tools to migrate 4GL
code to the Web is definitely the easiest and least painful.  No it is not
seemless or just plug and play.  Depending on how the 4GL code was
originally written you will have to move alot of the screen validations in
the input statements from AFTER INPUT to AFTER FIELD to realize the mouse
and point and click nature of web applications.  For more questions/advice

Rob Vorbroker

> If it is huge and complex, whatever you do will be hard.
> So I'd prefer to characterize this as "least painful" rather than
"easiest".

> Large scale source code bases in practice are very
> difficult to change manually.  What you need is a tool
> that can carry out massive source code modifications
> reliably.

> We offer such a tool and related services.
> The tool is strong enough to carry out conversions between
> langauges, such as JOVIAL (a 1970s Defense langauge)
> to C.   It is agile with respect to source and target languages,
> and how the translation needs to be effected.
> See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html.

> If  you are interested in discussing the problem further,
> please contact me.

> --
> Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D. CTO Semantic Designs, Inc.
> http://www.semdesigns.com

> > Hi

> >  I have a huge and very large and complex legacy 4GL application and
> > would like to migrate to web based forms without touching the server
side
> > 4GL logic . What is the easiest way to do so without rewriting the logic

> > Waiting for urgent reply

Urgent :Migration of Informix 4GL to Web based application

Informix D4GL or 4Js universal compiler.

See demo at www.4js.com