creating a synomym with dissimilar db_locale settings

creating a synomym with dissimilar db_locale settings

Post by captainho » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:23:45

We are running SAP, which sets the db_locale to de_de (I guess because SAP
is German). The interesting this is that the sysmaster and sysutils
databases are set to 'en_US.819' per the sysdbslocale table, but the SAP
databases have a setting of 'C'.

I have another database (on another machine) with the db_locale set to
en_US.819. I am trying to create a synonym from the SAP database to the
'normal' database, yet I keep getting db_locale errors.

I have tried setting the DB_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE environment variables,
but without success. If I set either of these variables to anything
(en_US.819 or  C), I can't connect to the SAP database.

Is it possible to change the db_locale setting for a database, or would that
corrupt the data?

Or, does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

1. How do I copy records between dissimilar tables?

I'm trying to add several new records to a table with several fields. I
have another table that has one field in it that I want to use to
populate the new records in the first table. Is there a way to do this
in SQL?

Here's an example of what I want to do:

TABLE 1:
ID       Name         Field1       Field 2
(empty table)

TABLE 2:
ID       Description
1        Dog Food
2        Cat Food
3        Elephant Food
4        Snake Food

** PERFORM MAGICAL SQL OPERATION HERE **

TABLE 1:
ID       Name         Field1       Field 2
1
2
3
4

Table 2 is the same.

Can I do this? In every case, I just want to append new records to the
end of the 1st table with the ID field filled in from the 2nd table and
all the rest of the fields blank.

Thanks a lot.

-= Jim Lowell =-

2. It's Here!!

3. Restoring SQL server to dissimilar hardware

4. limits of mdb databases

5. Replication w/ multi dissimilar db's

6. Creating ODBC alias at runtime

7. PDX 5.0: How to Export to a dissimilar table

8. SQL Trace Tools

9. question: grouping dissimilar items

10. DB_LOCALE error

11. DB_LOCALE

12. db_locale and SAP database

13. VALUE OF DB_LOCALE AND CL_LOCALE PARAMETER