Freddy File Finder: Finding Disk Files By Content

Freddy File Finder: Finding Disk Files By Content

Post by Arthur Colli » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 16:37:37

                        NEWS RELEASE

                FRUSTRATED?  CAN'T FIND A FILE IN A HURRY?

                        CALL FREDDY FILE FINDER!

FREDDY FILE FINDER, Inc.                        (916) 486-2557 Voice / Fax

Carmichael, CA 95608  USA                     June 23, 1994          $35.00

        FINDER:  Finding Files By Content       Copyright 05/28/94

        FINDER by Art Collins of Sacramento, California based FREDDY FILE
FINDER, Inc., successfully finds text, word-processing, data base, spread
sheet, EXE, and COM files by phrase content.  It matches input character
strings to the text in one or more files.  The search can cover a complete
disk drive or diskette, a directory with sub-directories, or a single
directory.  The output gives complete path names of all files for which a
match is found.  The paragraphs containing the match can be viewed.  Match-
ing can be on the basis of a complete input phrase, the words in the phrase
scattered throughout the file, or the same words "near" each other.

        FINDER helps if:

1)      You are up against a deadline and need a critical file to complete
        the job, but can't remember what you called it, or where it is.

2)      Data base research requires tabulation of all the files on a disk
        drive or in a group of directories, which contain a specific phrase
        or word, such as the customer or project name.

3)      The names or locations of files on a disk drive are unknown, due
        to unavailability of a key employee, or because the data base is
        ten years old.

        Disk drives are getting larger and larger.  They can now contain
1000s of files in 100s of directories.  If strict records of files and
directories are not kept, it is easy to "lose" files.  Locating them by
content can be virtually impossible.

        FREDDY FILE FINDER finds those "lost" files with a single command.
The program is user friendly, and input is simple yet effective.  FREDDY
FILE FINDER finds your files and outputs the complete file paths to an
output file for easy reference now and in the future.

                        Art Collins, FREDDY FILE FINDER Inc.
--

Post by Jon Machtyng » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 21:34:05

:                       NEWS RELEASE
:               FRUSTRATED?  CAN'T FIND A FILE IN A HURRY?
:                       CALL FREDDY FILE FINDER!
:       FREDDY FILE FINDER finds those "lost" files with a single command.
: The program is user friendly, and input is simple yet effective.  FREDDY

: FILE FINDER finds your files and outputs the complete file paths to an
: output file for easy reference now and in the future.

$ ln -s FreddyFileFinder /bin/grep

Jon

Post by Jack Park » Fri, 24 Jun 1994 23:53:05

> :                  NEWS RELEASE
> :          FRUSTRATED?  CAN'T FIND A FILE IN A HURRY?
> :                  CALL FREDDY FILE FINDER!
> :  FREDDY FILE FINDER finds those "lost" files with a single command.
> : The program is user friendly, and input is simple yet effective.  FREDDY

> : FILE FINDER finds your files and outputs the complete file paths to an
> : output file for easy reference now and in the future.

> $ ln -s FreddyFileFinder /bin/grep

> Jon

Very close in my book.  We have an in-house script that pairs find & grep,
so you can tune your search a little.  Optionally we pipe it through another
home-rolled tool which displays 'key word in context' - the preceeding 10
lines, the line in question in RVideo, and the succeeding 10 lines.  Maybe
Freddy is thinking of the DOS environment.

j.
Jack Parker                            |
Hewlett Packard, BSMC Boise, Idaho, USA|  If you put all of the lawyers in

(208) 396-5388 (W)  (208) 384-1623 (H) |  it would be a good thing.
   Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employers.

Post by David Hil » Sat, 25 Jun 1994 12:22:34

>                    NEWS RELEASE

>            FRUSTRATED?  CAN'T FIND A FILE IN A HURRY?

>                    CALL FREDDY FILE FINDER!

>FREDDY FILE FINDER, Inc.                    (916) 486-2557 Voice / Fax

>Carmichael, CA 95608  USA                 June 23, 1994          $35.00
[stuff deleted]
>    FREDDY FILE FINDER finds those "lost" files with a single command.
>The program is user friendly, and input is simple yet effective.  FREDDY
>FILE FINDER finds your files and outputs the complete file paths to an
>output file for easy reference now and in the future.

    Isn't this what the unix "find" command is for?

    I find the ability to execute any command on a matched path and filename
    (-exec) very usefull.  Does you program do that?

   -----------
   David Hiltz

   Network System Administrator
   Northeast Fisheries Science Center

Post by Jon Berg » Sun, 26 Jun 1994 07:59:23

>     Isn't this what the unix "find" command is for?

Just a wild guess here, but the reference to COM and EXE files, and the
mention of diskettes, makes me suspect that this product runs on platforms
other than Unix, which might make it a little less totally useless than you
guys seem to think it is.  Not to say it's the hottest software product
since Dartmouth Basic or anything, but there _is_ a world outside of Unix,
or so I've been told.

Quote:>     I find the ability to execute any command on a matched path and filename
>     (-exec) very usefull.  Does you program do that?

I generally use -print and pipe to xargs, myself.
   -__ __ /_   Jon Berger              "If you push something hard enough,

_/ ---------                              - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Post by William Kaufm » Tue, 28 Jun 1994 00:15:21

] :                     NEWS RELEASE
] :             FRUSTRATED?  CAN'T FIND A FILE IN A HURRY?
] :                     CALL FREDDY FILE FINDER!
] :     FREDDY FILE FINDER finds those "lost" files with a single command.
] : The program is user friendly, and input is simple yet effective.
]
] $ ln -s FreddyFileFinder /bin/grep

    Sorry, Jon, this is a FAR MORE COMPLEX tool than that!  It searches
WHOLE DIRECTORIES and TREES!

        $ alias FreddyFileFinder `find . -type f -exec fgrep \!:* {} \;`

(Note: no mention of regular expressions, or even case independence, in
the original note.)

    On Windows, the File Manager probably does the same thing; on Mac,
you've got the Finder.  The original poster didn't even mention whether
I could get it for AOS/VS or Tandem, where it would actually be useful.

    To anyone else so tempted: commercial adverti*ts are unwelcome
outside *.forsale newsgroups.  Unless it's a MAKE.MONEY.FAST posting, of
course.

    [Note followups.]

                                           -- Bill K.

Bill Kaufman               | "ENJOY LIFE!