Ver 5.03 client to Ver 7.11 server problem.

Ver 5.03 client to Ver 7.11 server problem.

Post by Mark Oberfiel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Greetings,

  We have a large set of applications which use ESQL/C and
  Informix 5.03 Online on an HP 9.01 system successfully.

  We have transferred these applications (no recompilations)
  to another HP system (ver 10.1) with Informix 7.11.

  A problem has appeared with tables containing a large
  number of BLOB columns (~80 columns).  Creating the
  blobspaces on the new system and exporting the databases
  from ver 5.03 to 7.11 went fine.  Oncheck -cD on the new
  tables did not find any problems.

  Specifically the problem occurs when applications try
  to fetch data out of the blob columns.  The result is
  very sporatic (sp) -- a few times it works, but most of the
  time the applications just "hangs" when trying to fetch
  the data out of the blob columns.  We can successfully
  fetch data out of "non-blob" columns.

  We can unload the offending blob columns via dbaccess
  normally.

  If it is a bug in the 7.11 relay module (SQLRM) and the only
  solution availible is that we have to recompile our ESQL
  library routines and relink our applications against the
  new library, fine.  But I was hoping that a suggestion
  or two from you INFORMIX genuses (or regular guys/gals ;-))
  out there would save us a week's worth of recompilations.

  Any ideas?

  TIA,

mgo
Mark Oberfield                          SSMC2, W/OSD25

                                        Rm 10126
                                        Silver Spring,MD 20910

Ver 5.03 client to Ver 7.11 server problem.

Post by David William » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Greetings,

>  We have a large set of applications which use ESQL/C and
>  Informix 5.03 Online on an HP 9.01 system successfully.

>  We have transferred these applications (no recompilations)
>  to another HP system (ver 10.1) with Informix 7.11.

  Recompile since the version of the Operating system has changed.
  I doubt HP-UX 9.01 and HP-UX 10.1 are compatible.

Quote:>  A problem has appeared with tables containing a large
>  number of BLOB columns (~80 columns).  Creating the
>  blobspaces on the new system and exporting the databases
>  from ver 5.03 to 7.11 went fine.  Oncheck -cD on the new
>  tables did not find any problems.

>  Specifically the problem occurs when applications try
>  to fetch data out of the blob columns.  The result is
>  very sporatic (sp) -- a few times it works, but most of the
>  time the applications just "hangs" when trying to fetch
>  the data out of the blob columns.  We can successfully
>  fetch data out of "non-blob" columns.

>  We can unload the offending blob columns via dbaccess
>  normally.

>  If it is a bug in the 7.11 relay module (SQLRM) and the only
>  solution availible is that we have to recompile our ESQL
>  library routines and relink our applications against the
>  new library, fine.  But I was hoping that a suggestion
>  or two from you INFORMIX genuses (or regular guys/gals ;-))
>  out there would save us a week's worth of recompilations.

>  Any ideas?

   Have you tried doing an
   onstat -
   when the application is hung.

   Also try onstat -u | grep <process id>

   Also check you messages in the online.log

   Also run netstat -i.

   What are the results?

Quote:

--
David Williams

1. server ver 7, client ver 8

Our company was just bought out by a bigger fish, so I am trying to learn
about Oracle.  This new company uses an Oracle database that is version 7.
Are there any licensing issues if I use the client version of 8 to attach to
the database?  Any major compatibility issues that happen if the client is a
higher version that the server?  Thanks in advance.

2. Openquery question

3. Microsoft sql7.0-client on odbc ver 2.65 and ver 3.70

4. DS_TOTAL_MEMORY configuration

5. Printing Problem Ver 5 to Ver 7

6. Dial up Updates?

7. How to Move my DAtabse from SQl 7Trial ver to SQl Server Full Ver

8. As Requested: Good SQL book and Examples of SQL's LIKE statement

9. Triggers in SQL ver 6.5 and SQL ver 7.0

10. Restoring data from ver 6 into ver 6.5

11. Pls Help, how to use Ms Access Ver 2 in Visual Basic Ver 3

12. Difference between ver 4.0 and ver 5.0