??: 32 bit vs. 64 bit Informix

Post by Dirk Moolma » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:20:35

I am using 7.31UC7 at the moment.  We are moving to another machine, so my
plan of action is:

1. Install Solaris 8 on the new server
2. Install IDS 7.31UC7 on the server (have already tested it this way)
3. Do a backup on the old server and restore on the new server
4. Do an in place upgrade from 32bit to 64bit by bringing the engine down,
   installing 7.31FD3 and bringing the engine up again.

This is everything in a nutshell - I won't go into detail of setting up the
disk arrays on the new server, etc.

Just take note that you can't backup on 32bit and restore on 64bit. It is
not supported by Informix, and I've also tried it before - and actually
received a message in the line of "Invalid version ......"

If your database is small, and you want to reorganise your database and fix
extent sizes, a dbexport/dbimport is a good idea, but will be more work for
you.

If you do it the way I'm going to, just make sure you test it properly.
There are a couple of bugs that can occur when upgrading from 32bit to
64bit, so don't just assume it will work. Rather be safe.