OnLine 5.10 w/CSDK & ESQL 5.10

Post by Colin McGrat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

A while back I asked about running D4GL with OnLine 5.10 and CSDK.
Art and Jonathan pointed out that I-STAR would be needed with that
mix of products when the ESQL/C version is above 5.10.

But Jonathan also wrote that:

Quote:> Another alternative, which is what I'd expect to do, is to use ESQL/C
> 5.10 to connect to the 5.10 database.  That won't require
> INFORMIXSERVER, of course.

> As a matter of idle fact, I believe that using CSDK to connect to a 5.x
> server is preferable when the client application is not running the same
> machine as the server; it avoids an intermediary process compared with
> using 5.x I-Star or I-Net.  When they are on the same machine, there is
> little difference when running.

Has anyone succeeded with this technique?  Any ideas how I'd go about it?

--

Washington Group International, Inc.         (215) 422-4144
Philadelphia, PA, USA

OnLine 5.10 w/CSDK & ESQL 5.10

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Which technique?  Jonathan here mentions two.  He says for local, on server,
access he would use ESQL/5.10 as he sees no gain from using the ESQL 9.xx
included with the SDK for local access.  He says use the SDK for remote
access because ESQL/C 5.10 would need to run a local sqlturbo process on
the client which would be eliminated by using the SDK.  ESQL 5.xx did not
include any communications code it was all in the sqlturbo process installed
by the I-Star product.  On the other hand SDK 2.xx/ESQL 9.xx includes all
the needed communications in the generated code.

Personally I have found that the later versions of ESQL (ie 7.xx and 9.xx)
perform slightly but noticeably faster and in addition there are new
features you can take advantage of like multiple connections and threads
that will help your programs work better than they could using only 5.xx
features.

Art S. Kagel