JDBC Connection fails with SE 7.24

Post by Sujit Pa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello

Problem #1
===========
I was wondering if anybody has seen something similar before.
When I try to connect to my Informix SE database (version 7.24)
using a Java program and the Informix JDBC driver (1.40.JC2)
it fails with a

-329: Database not found or no system permission.

The same program works fine on the same JDBC driver running
IDS 7.30.

My JDBC URL for SE is:

jdbc:informix-sqli//hostname:portnumber//full/path/name:informixserver=$INFORMIXSERVER;user=username;password=password

where /full/path/name refers to a database called name.dbs located
in /full/path, say.

In case of IDS the URL was as follows:

jdbc:informix-sqli//hostname:portnumber/database:informixserver=$INFORMIXSERVER;user=username;password=password

I also noticed my sqlexecd log file while I was trying to connect
using JDBC and while connecting using DBD::Informix and Perl.
They are different. Here is how:

For Java and Informix JDBC driver (for DriverManager.getconnection(url))
1999-06-09 21:38:59.642705 sqlexec avalanche.myhome.net username -Xusername**

For Perl and DBD::Informix (for DBI->connect($db,$user,$pass,"Informix")
1999-06-09 21:38:16.169392 sqlexec avalanche.myhome.net username -Xdatabasename

Is it possible that the connect is not translating correctly for
the sqlexecd daemon, and this is a bug, or am I making some obvious
mistake?

Problem #2
==========
Another question? The JDBC manual says that it uses the sysmaster
database to support the MetaData methods. So does this mean that
I cant use getMetaData() on an SE database? Do we really need the
sysmaster database to get MetaData information, should not the
system catalog tables be used (eg systables, syscolumns, etc)?

I was hoping to try this one out myself before asking the NG but
since I cant even connect to a SE database, I thought I would
just ask if anybody has managed to do it.

TIA

Sujit

JDBC Connection fails with SE 7.24

Post by Bernd Mülle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello

I had the same problem #1. If you have a SE database elsewhere put
a symbolic link from the home directory of the user to the database
directory. This works fine for me. I was unable to tell JDBC where to
look for the database directory. (On the UNIX level there is an
environment variable DBPATH which has no JDBC eqivalent (to my knowlede)).

I also run into problem #2. No solution at all. On IDS everything
works fine.

best wishes
Bernd

--
Prof. Dr. Bernd Mller                 Tel:         03943/659-240

38855 Wernigerode                      http://www2.fh-harz.de/~bmueller

JDBC Connection fails with SE 7.24

Post by Dariush Shira » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The correct format for jdbc database connection is:

jdbc:informix-sqli//hostname:portnumber/path-from-your-home-directory/name:
informixserver=informixserver;user=username;password=password

If you want to pass have absolute path, then you have to trick informix jdbc
like this:

jdbc:informix-sqli//hostname:portnumber/ /full-path/name:....
                                        ^-note the space
I hope this helps.

> [...]

>> the sqlexecd daemon, and this is a bug, or am I making some obvious
>> mistake?

>> Problem #2
>> ==========
>> Another question? The JDBC manual says that it uses the sysmaster
>> database to support the MetaData methods. So does this mean that
>> I cant use getMetaData() on an SE database? Do we really need the
>> sysmaster database to get MetaData information, should not the
>> system catalog tables be used (eg systables, syscolumns, etc)?

>> I was hoping to try this one out myself before asking the NG but
>> since I cant even connect to a SE database, I thought I would
>> just ask if anybody has managed to do it.

>> TIA

>> Sujit

>--
>Prof. Dr. Bernd Mller                 Tel:         03943/659-240

 The University of Iowa - Hygienic Lab | Voice:    (319) 335-4500
 Oakdale Research Campus, OH-E5B       | Fax:      (319) 335-4555
 Iowa City, IA   52242                 |

1. Cannot connect with JDBC to Informix 7.24 SE on Linux

I am having no luck connecting to my database with 7.24 SE under
Linux.  The driver loads fine but can;t get the connection.  Here are my

particulars:

INFORMIXSERVER : asxdb
database: asxtest
hostname: quailman

sqlhost:
asxdb   sesoctcp    quailman    sqlexec

sqlexecd running as root:
sqlexecd asxdb

Running the informix SimpleConnection.java program with the following
'jdbc:informix-sqli://quailman:1533/asxtest:informixserver=asxdb'

The program runs fine and I'm sure the CLASSPATH is OK since I'm running
the java with
the -v option and I see it load classes from the informix jar file.

Do I also need the following in /etc/services?
asxdb           1533/tcp        sqlexec

Any help appreciated.  Getting crushed here...

-darrel

2. foxpro databases and the cdx driver in vb 5

3. Convert 4.0 SE db to 7.24 SE db

4. BTRIEVE without ODBC ??

5. Solaris 5.8 and Informix SE 7.24

6. Repopulating with a blank recordset

7. Informix SE 7.24 and Client SDK 2.80

8. Data Purging

9. C-ISAM 7.24 and SE 7.25 locking

10. SE 7.24/7.25 Compatabilty Issues

11. Remote server connect using SE 7.24

12. Lock problem with native driver PB Vs. Informix SE 7.24

13. SE 7.24 performance