ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

Post by Reinhard Habichtsber » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dear all,

we are working with IDS 7.31 on a Siemens Rm600 with Reliant Unix 5.43.

Our Windows NT Clients provide mixed 16-Bit and 32-Bit applications, which
need
to connect to the IDS.

Actually we use SCO Vision 2K Sql Retriever as an ODBC - Driver Version
4.17.xxx.
This driver can be used with 16-bit _and_ with 32-bit programs.

I know that Client SDK includes two ODBC - Drivers: The first, Informix 2.80
32 Bit is recommended not to use because of bugs :-).

The second, the Intersolv 3.11 32-Bit INFORMIX 9 does not support 16-Bit
programs.

Because of a growing number of users needing ODBC - connections to the
Database Server and growing costs for lizenzes we wish to change to the
ODBC - Drivers shipped with (costfree) Client SDK.

Can anybody give me some informations if the Intersolv Driver is usable with
32-bit applications like MS Access, MS Query, Delphi-Programs and C/C++
applications?

And does anybody know a solution for the older 16-bit applications?

Thanks in advance
Reinhard Habichtsberg

ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

Post by lexhe.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hoi , Reinhardt,

We didnt have any problems working with any 16-Bit and 32-Bit
applications using Informix CLI 2.50 on wfw, nt and 95 to our RM600
and 400. Working now with sinix 5.44 without problems.
Also using 2.50 for a HP (D310) server with10.20

BTW, shouldnt you be upgrading to 5.44 before 2000 and if you do,
dont install 5.44 B0033 but 5.44 C20. With B0033 you becomes shared
memory problems with informix.

Alex

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:33:05 +0200, "Reinhard Habichtsberg"

>Dear all,

>we are working with IDS 7.31 on a Siemens Rm600 with Reliant Unix 5.43.

>Our Windows NT Clients provide mixed 16-Bit and 32-Bit applications, which
>need
>to connect to the IDS.

>Actually we use SCO Vision 2K Sql Retriever as an ODBC - Driver Version
>4.17.xxx.
>This driver can be used with 16-bit _and_ with 32-bit programs.

>I know that Client SDK includes two ODBC - Drivers: The first, Informix 2.80
>32 Bit is recommended not to use because of bugs :-).

>The second, the Intersolv 3.11 32-Bit INFORMIX 9 does not support 16-Bit
>programs.

>Because of a growing number of users needing ODBC - connections to the
>Database Server and growing costs for lizenzes we wish to change to the
>ODBC - Drivers shipped with (costfree) Client SDK.

>Can anybody give me some informations if the Intersolv Driver is usable with
>32-bit applications like MS Access, MS Query, Delphi-Programs and C/C++
>applications?

>And does anybody know a solution for the older 16-bit applications?

>Thanks in advance
>Reinhard Habichtsberg

ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

Post by Reinhard Habichtsber » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> We didnt have any problems working with any 16-Bit and 32-Bit
> applications using Informix CLI 2.50 on wfw, nt and 95 to our RM600
> and 400. Working now with sinix 5.44 without problems.
> Also using 2.50 for a HP (D310) server with10.20

Hallo Alex,

thanks for the tip.

With client sdk there comes INFORMIX 2.80 32 ODBC Driver. I tested it
and it brought error messages after AFAIK 10 or 100 rows. I opened a call
on Informix Support. They said, I should not use that driver.

Do you know, where or how I can get CLI 2.50. I think it is an older release
but
if it works it is ok.

Quote:> BTW, shouldnt you be upgrading to 5.44 before 2000 and if you do,
> dont install 5.44 B0033 but 5.44 C20. With B0033 you becomes shared
> memory problems with informix.

I will not upgrade to 5.44 because I dont want to update from 32 to 64 bit
technology.
We use 5.43 C4001 which is certified Y2K.

Regards, Reinhard

ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

Post by Alex » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hoi Reinhardt,

We bought(got!) CLI 2.50 a couple of years ago with our ERP-application.
But a little while ago, I asked the Dutch Informix Support, how many
installation I could make with our license?
They said I can install as much as I want, Because its for free!
So, ask your Informix support or maybe there is a site were you can
download it, maybe on http://www.intraware.com

Alex

Reinhard Habichtsberg schreef:

> > We didnt have any problems working with any 16-Bit and 32-Bit
> > applications using Informix CLI 2.50 on wfw, nt and 95 to our RM600
> > and 400. Working now with sinix 5.44 without problems.
> > Also using 2.50 for a HP (D310) server with10.20

> Hallo Alex,

> thanks for the tip.

> With client sdk there comes INFORMIX 2.80 32 ODBC Driver. I tested it
> and it brought error messages after AFAIK 10 or 100 rows. I opened a call
> on Informix Support. They said, I should not use that driver.

> Do you know, where or how I can get CLI 2.50. I think it is an older release
> but
> if it works it is ok.

> > BTW, shouldnt you be upgrading to 5.44 before 2000 and if you do,
> > dont install 5.44 B0033 but 5.44 C20. With B0033 you becomes shared
> > memory problems with informix.

> I will not upgrade to 5.44 because I dont want to update from 32 to 64 bit
> technology.
> We use 5.43 C4001 which is certified Y2K.

> Regards, Reinhard

ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

Post by scha.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

The Openlink Multi-Tier driver suite is perfectly suited for such an
environment, and can work with 16-bit applications in special cases as
well (there is a specific driver for this).

Visit http://www.openlinksw.com for more info and a non-expiring trial
copy of the software.

Regards,
Stephen

Quote:> Dear all,

> we are working with IDS 7.31 on a Siemens Rm600 with Reliant Unix
5.43.

> Our Windows NT Clients provide mixed 16-Bit and 32-Bit applications,
which
> need
> to connect to the IDS.

> Actually we use SCO Vision 2K Sql Retriever as an ODBC - Driver
Version
> 4.17.xxx.
> This driver can be used with 16-bit _and_ with 32-bit programs.

> I know that Client SDK includes two ODBC - Drivers: The first,
Informix 2.80
> 32 Bit is recommended not to use because of bugs :-).

> The second, the Intersolv 3.11 32-Bit INFORMIX 9 does not support 16-
Bit
> programs.

> Because of a growing number of users needing ODBC - connections to the
> Database Server and growing costs for lizenzes we wish to change to
the
> ODBC - Drivers shipped with (costfree) Client SDK.

> Can anybody give me some informations if the Intersolv Driver is
usable with
> 32-bit applications like MS Access, MS Query, Delphi-Programs and
C/C++
> applications?

> And does anybody know a solution for the older 16-bit applications?

> Thanks in advance
> Reinhard Habichtsberg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. ODBC driver installation conflicts (between 16 bit and 32 bit drivers) on NT

: Hi there,
: we've installed the Oracle ODBC driver two weeks ago (the one which
: came with the Oracle Workgroupserver 90 day trial edition). After we
: deinstalled this we have trouble installing Microsofts new ODBC
: drivers. I guess the trouble lies in the conflict that there are two

NT supports both the 16bit ODBC subsystem, which uses the usual config
files (ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI), and the 32bit subsystem, which
uses the registry.

To get rid of 16bit files, examine the .INI files and delete all
.DLLs specified by the various settings for the appropriate drivers,
then remove the driver entries from both ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI.

To get rid of 32bit files you'll need to use REGEDT32 and find the
appropriate ODBC entries. Remove the .DLL files specified by
the ODBC entries, then remove the registry entries. The usual
caveats re: mucking with the registry apply.

Oracle's workgroup drivers are 16bit, if I remember correctly, so
they should be installed using the appropriate version of ORAINST. Any
32bit drivers are best installed either using the 32bit version of
ODBCADM or through the control panel ODBC applet - if the driver
diskettes include an ODBC.INF file. If they don't, you'll just have
to trust that the installation program uses the 32bit routines...

--

Fax: +358 0 33 88 22                                    " Why me? "

2. Inetractive BCP

3. dBase to db2 converter

4. 16-bit/32-bit ODBC drivers - NT Environment

5. Process cube with DTS

6. 16 bit ODBC drivers in the 32 bit environment

7. PUBLISHING GRAPHICS IN IIS AUTOMATICALLY BROUGHT FROM MS-SQL SERVER 6.5

8. 32 bit BDE with 16 bit ODBC Drivers

9. 16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

10. 16-bit ODBC v2.0 from 32-bit NT APP

11. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

12. Migrating 16-bit ODBC DLL (SQLServer) to 32-bit ODBC DLL (MS Access)