book

Post by Davi » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:26:29

anyone recommend a good book

book

Post by Neil Trub » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:48:02

Quote:> anyone recommend a good book

One of the best books I have ever read is "Before The Fact", by Francis
Iles.

The book is a study of the psychology of a *er, and the victim.
Written in the early 1930s, at a time when the genre was dominated by the
Agatha Christie style of mystery, red herring, and the last-minute
denouement, this book turns the crime novel on its head. The identity of the
*er is announced in the very first paragraph - just as in Iles's
earlier classic novel, "Malice Aforethought".

The book then goes on to describe the relationship between Johnnie Aysgarth
and his wife Lina, their meeting, their marriage, and the personality flaws
that lead one to * and the other to keep silent even as realisation
strikes.

The story builds up to an almost unbearable ending, which just makes you put
the book down, pause think for second or two, and just think "Wow".

An absolute classic. I urge you to read it. then buy Malice Aforethought and
read that too!

book

Post by Rob Vorbroke » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:03:05

Along that same line I would also recommend "In Cold *"
by Truman Capote.

Rob

[...]

sending to informix-list

book

Post by Andrew Ham » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:05:13

> Along that same line I would also recommend "In Cold *"
> by Truman Capote.

And try to find "The Story of San Michelle" by Axel Munthe in an antique
book store. It's about a doctor in the late 19th century in Europe,
variously working in Paris for the nobility, the slums of Naples during the
cholera outbreaks, Lapland, etc all while working feverishly to be able to
retire in an an ancient castle he purchased in the hills of Ana Capri. It's
a fascinating blend of fact and fantasy, blending details of real events
with fantasies about making deals with the Cold Moon to assist him with the
castle, Imps and Goblins in Lapland, the personalities of all the dogs he's
owned and vetted, etc etc etc. I've read it 15 times at least and still look
forward to the next reading.

book

Post by Andrew Ham » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:07:49

> anyone recommend a good book

Or do you mean a good book about Informix? We're all being smart-asses 'cos
your question was quite vague :o)

This question has come up a few times over the years, so you could find some
threads by searching the comp.databases.informix newsgroup at www.google.com
for any messages with "book" in the subject. There are a few books out there
about Informix, however they are a few years old at the least, so you might
have trouble finding one in a bookshop.

Look also in the "Informix Answers Online" CD for a complete set of manuals
from Informix. The "books" range from manuals to guides and the occasional
tutorial.

book

Post by Tsutomu Ogiwar » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:02:27

Hi David.

http://www.informixhandbook.com/

Regards.

--
Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan.
ICQ#:168106592

>Subject: book
>Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:26:29 +0000 (UTC)

>anyone recommend a good book

sending to informix-list

book

Post by David William » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:33:59

I second that..I wrote a chapter in that book!

> Hi David.

> http://www.informixhandbook.com/

> Regards.

> --
> Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan.
> ICQ#:168106592

> >Subject: book
> >Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:26:29 +0000 (UTC)

> >anyone recommend a good book

> sending to informix-list

book

Post by Art S. Kage » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:42:59

> anyone recommend a good book

Ron Flannery's "The Informix Handbook" is excellent but HUGE.  Check out
it's contents online at: www.informixhandbook.com

Another is Joe Lumley's "Informix DBA Survival Guide"

Art S. Kagel

book

Post by Mark D. Stoc » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:44:29

> I second that..I wrote a chapter in that book!

Even so, it's still worth a look. :-)

Cheers,
--
Mark.

+----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+

| Mydas Solutions Ltd            http://MydasSolutions.com |/////  / //|
|                      +-----------------------------------+////  / ///|
|                      |We value your comments, which have |///  / ////|
|                      |been recorded and automatically    |//  / /////|
|                      |emailed back to us for our records.|/  ////////|
+----------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+

sending to informix-list

book

Post by David William » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 08:11:22

> > I second that..I wrote a chapter in that book!

> Even so, it's still worth a look. :-)

 Miaow...oh you bit*h. We all know your looks are plastic.....they're fake!!

 Seriously Joe Lumbley's book is also good. Also read the FAQ at

 www.smooth1.demon.co.uk

> Cheers,
> --
> Mark.

> +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+

> | Mydas Solutions Ltd            http://MydasSolutions.com |/////  / //|
> |                      +-----------------------------------+////  / ///|
> |                      |We value your comments, which have |///  / ////|
> |                      |been recorded and automatically    |//  / /////|
> |                      |emailed back to us for our records.|/  ////////|
> +----------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+

> sending to informix-list

1. DBP&D article on book reviews / data modelling book

Hello to all:

If I recall correctly, within the past two years Database Programming
and Design published an article with book reviews.  One book that they
recommended for reading contained a list of sample data models.  So you
could copy solid models for common data, such as customer or address.

Do you recall the article or the book?  I am working for a startup
company and we don't want to have to reinvent the wheel with the
address section of the database.

Thank you in advance if you are able to help.

--
Philip Bondi, Database Administrator, home/bus.: (416)621-9177 fax: -2581
System Database Inc., 1403-299 Mill Rd., Toronto, Ontario, M9C 4V9, Canada

2. Registering SQL Server via DMO

3. Books Online - actual book version

4. access paradox blob field with ado

5. [ANNOUNCE] Commercial: New Book!! PostgreSQL book is

6. Moving or copying diagrams

7. Find the Best prices on Delphi Books - Searches 40+ Book sites for the best price

8. How much memory do I need

9. Book Book

10. 3 oracle dba certification books for 1 book's price

11. Pro*C books - Can anyone recommend a good pro*c book

12. Books selected just for you - Oracle Books

13. Books Books, which ones?