limits of SQL statement length

Post by Jochen Dau » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:02:06

Hi!

Where can I look up the length limit of an SQL statement for Informix
7.2?

Problem is, I have to "join" data in Informix and SQL Server and I
would like to do it by generating queries with a big where statement.

Thanks for any help.

Jochen

Post by rkusene » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:11:03

> Hi!

> Where can I look up the length limit of an SQL statement for Informix
> 7.2?

> Problem is, I have to "join" data in Informix and SQL Server and I
> would like to do it by generating queries with a big where statement.

32K

limits of SQL statement length

Post by Jochen Dau » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:46:28

Hi !

Quote:>> Where can I look up the length limit of an SQL statement for Informix
>> 7.2?

>> Problem is, I have to "join" data in Informix and SQL Server and I
>> would like to do it by generating queries with a big where statement.

>32K

Thanks

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:36:05

>>>Where can I look up the length limit of an SQL statement for Informix
>>>7.2?

(a) You probably shouldn't be using 7.2 unless it is SE you are using
(and if it is, you should say so).

Quote:>>>Problem is, I have to "join" data in Informix and SQL Server and I
>>>would like to do it by generating queries with a big where statement.

(b) Define big?

Quote:>>32K

(c) That might be correct for 7.2; it is 64 KB on more recent servers.

--
Jonathan Leffler                   #include <disclaimer.h>

limits of SQL statement length

Post by Jochen Dau » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:03:34

Hi Jonathan!

Quote:>>>>Where can I look up the length limit of an SQL statement for Informix

>(a) You probably shouldn't be using 7.2 unless it is SE you are using
>(and if it is, you should say so).

I must admit, that I don't know much about the differences between 7.2
and 7.2 SE. I'm working mainly on MS SQL Server, but will have to
interface reading only with an accounting system (called Acumen) which
runs on Informix (on AIX on RS/6000). Have to read the box again to
clarify.

Quote:>>>>Problem is, I have to "join" data in Informix and SQL Server and I

>(b) Define big?

Well, I will mostly do kind of outer joins for tables in MS SQl which
are "attached" to tables in Informix. I think this might be halfway
performant, if I request lists of records by listing column data:

(x=5 and y=3) or (x=6 and y=4) ....

As long as the selectivity is high, this should be faster than
fetching all rows and looping through with php.

Quote:>>>32K

>(c) That might be correct for 7.2; it is 64 KB on more recent servers.

Ok, good. That's why I asked where to look it up. I already went to
IBM, but didn't find anything, nor in the PDF guid to sql and pdf sql
syntax guide. But a rough number is enough, I will parameterize the
query split up anyway.

Jochen

1. ODBC SQL Statement length limit of 64k???

I have written a VB5 application that inserts data into a SQL Server table.
I am using an ODBCDirect workspace, and the EXECUTE method to run the sql
insert statement. The table has four fields, one of which is TEXT, allowing
very large text data to be inserted. When one of my users tried to insert a
row that resulted in a sql statement that exceeded 64k, he got an ODBC call
failed msg. When we shortened the data slightly, it worked. What are the
rules here?

Steve

2. Changing the order of dimension display?

3. SQL statement length limit?

4. DLL for class not found

5. SQL statement length limits

6. Server side database access - beginner

7. Limit to the Length of the SQL statement

8. invalids

9. String length limits hit in SQL statement

10. Limit to length of string displayed in SELECT statement

11. Row length limit in SQL Server 2000?

12. 128 character SQL String length limit??

13. Some problem due to the length limit of SQL sentence