Re-licensing Informix V4 from AIX 3.1 to AIX 4.2 - considering WinNT

Re-licensing Informix V4 from AIX 3.1 to AIX 4.2 - considering WinNT

Post by Ian Cla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All,

We currently operate under the following conditions:

SE V4, SQL V4, RDS V4, AIX 3.1, RS6000/320, 64 MB RAM.

As you can see, old kit and old software :-)

In a planned move to AIX 4.2 I have to re-license our Informix
products.

Being new to RDS, having used 4GL previously, I have been made aware
that RDS is more memory hungry on a per user basis. Given that I am to
move to AIX 4.2 and an upgrade to a RS6000/370 with 96 MB RAM, would
any users care to comment on whether they consider the proposed box
will be suitable. There would be approximately 20-25 concurrent users
at any one time. AIX 4.2 is also more memory hungry than AIX 3.1 but
perhaps not enough in itself to suggest a massive jump in RAM.

As an aside, is this version of Informix supported on WinNT? If I were
to buy Informix fresh for a Unix box we would be talking a lot of
money and so to save on cost a re-license our current release for
whatever plaform we go to.

Also, as a Unix techie, when installing Informix it really is a
breeze; the database and applications sit in file systems and in
general it is fairly resilient. If the Unix box crashes, the file
systems are repaired automatically by AIX and then we do whatever it
takes to get the Informix database back into shape.

Is NT a good platform for running Informix? What cost savings are
there for Informix on the NT platform?

I think that is all for now :-)

Cheers, Ian.
Tedious 'office speak' part 3: "Let's go scuba in the think tank."