C on Solaris

C on Solaris

Post by Dirk Moolma » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:29:21



Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on Solaris ?
Which is best to use ?

Dirk Moolman
Database and Unix Administrator
MXGROUP

The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave.

sending to informix-list

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by Paul Watso » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:02:58


I like gcc but the SUNWpro C is faster but IMHO not fast enough to
justify  the cost if you are doing 4gl/esql stuff.


> Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on Solaris ?
> Which is best to use ?

> Dirk Moolman
> Database and Unix Administrator
> MXGROUP

> The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave.

> sending to informix-list

--
Paul Watson             #          
Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory
Tel: +44 1436 672201    # Growing up is optional
Fax: +44 1436 678693    #
Mob: +44 7818 003457    #
www.oninit.com          #

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by Andy Lennar » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:44:38


gcc works ok for me. integrates ok with purify/quantify & does multi-
threaded.

but word has it that compilation and run times are better with the Sun
compiler...



Quote:

>Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on
>Solaris ?
>Which is best to use ?

>Dirk Moolman
>Database and Unix Administrator
>MXGROUP

>The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear
>are truly brave.

>sending to informix-list

--

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by David William » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:34:56



Quote:

> Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on
Solaris ?
> Which is best to use ?

 For what?

 Personally I prefer gcc because it is free!

Quote:

> Dirk Moolman
> Database and Unix Administrator
> MXGROUP

> The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear
are truly brave.

> sending to informix-list

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by David E. Grov » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:51:22


We use gcc.

However, if there are any problems (for instance with c4gl script), IBM's
position is that you are on your own-- gcc is unsupported.

DG
AK Dept. Corrections


Quote:

> Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on
Solaris ?
> Which is best to use ?

> Dirk Moolman
> Database and Unix Administrator
> MXGROUP

> The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear
are truly brave.

> sending to informix-list

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by David William » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 08:14:02




Quote:> We use gcc.

> However, if there are any problems (for instance with c4gl script), IBM's
> position is that you are on your own-- gcc is unsupported.

In the later releases of Informix-4gl (c4gl)  the -fwriteable-strings
requirement
IS documented in the release notes, therefore it IS supported they even tell
you how to use it!

 PS Does anyone know what the latest c4gl version is? Say on Solaris which
is
 tier 1 platform.

 What is the latest IDS 7.3x version?

  IS IDS 9.40.UC2 out yet? What about 9.40.UC3?

> DG
> AK Dept. Corrections



> > Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on
> Solaris ?
> > Which is best to use ?

> > Dirk Moolman
> > Database and Unix Administrator
> > MXGROUP

> > The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear
> are truly brave.

> > sending to informix-list

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by Tsutomu Ogiwar » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:24:48


Hi.

If you use gcc on c4gl.
Add as below.

setenv C4GLFLAGS -fwritable-strings

Regards.
--
Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan.
ICQ#:168106592




>Subject: Re: C  on Solaris
>Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:51:22 -0800

>We use gcc.

>However, if there are any problems (for instance with c4gl script), IBM's
>position is that you are on your own-- gcc is unsupported.

>DG
>AK Dept. Corrections



> > Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on
>Solaris ?
> > Which is best to use ?

> > Dirk Moolman
> > Database and Unix Administrator
> > MXGROUP

> > The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear
>are truly brave.

> > sending to informix-list

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

sending to informix-list

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by Tsutomu Ogiwar » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:28:56


Hi David.

Quote:>  PS Does anyone know what the latest c4gl version is? Say on Solaris which
>is
>  tier 1 platform.

Informix 4GL 7.32.UC1 is a latest.

Quote:>  What is the latest IDS 7.3x version?

Informix Dynamic Server 7.31.UD6 is a latest.

Quote:>   IS IDS 9.40.UC2 out yet? What about 9.40.UC3?

9.40.UC2 is out.

Sorry I do not know about 9.40.UC3.

--
Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan.
ICQ#:168106592

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

sending to informix-list

 
 
 

C on Solaris

Post by David E. Grov » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:17:19


Well, they do document the "-fwriteable-strings" option, but they don't
mention anything about the "hardwired" dependencies on Sun compiler options
under 64 bit Solaris.

For instance, unless you include "-x none" as a compile flag, the c4gl
script will insert a value for -xarch which is specific to the 64 bit Sun C
compiler, but an error for gcc.  Also, I have found it necessary to add
"-m64" as a flag under 64 bit Solaris   I didn't find either of these in any
Informix documentation, and IBM/Informix tech support was not very helpful
for these issues.  In fact, they were a little bit demeaning, suggesting
that we really had no business trying to use gcc, in the first place, since
it isn't supported.

DG




> > We use gcc.

> > However, if there are any problems (for instance with c4gl script),
IBM's
> > position is that you are on your own-- gcc is unsupported.

> In the later releases of Informix-4gl (c4gl)  the -fwriteable-strings
> requirement
> IS documented in the release notes, therefore it IS supported they even
tell
> you how to use it!

>  PS Does anyone know what the latest c4gl version is? Say on Solaris which
> is
>  tier 1 platform.

>  What is the latest IDS 7.3x version?

>   IS IDS 9.40.UC2 out yet? What about 9.40.UC3?

> > DG
> > AK Dept. Corrections



> > > Just a quick question:  Which flavour of C do you guys/girls prefer on
> > Solaris ?
> > > Which is best to use ?

> > > Dirk Moolman
> > > Database and Unix Administrator
> > > MXGROUP

> > > The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their
fear
> > are truly brave.

> > > sending to informix-list

 
 
 

1. Filter for IIS log file cs(User-Agent)

I am processing some IIS log files with DTS and needed a
good filter for the cs(User-Agent) field to split it up
into the most used browsers and OS's.
Does anybody have an allready written filter with the most
used Browsers and OS's ? I have written one that takes
care of microsoft products, but I would like one that was
a little more extensive.

2. building stored Procedures

3. collate in SQL server (value CS/table CI)

4. Sybase 4.x And PDOXWIN 5.0 ---- NOT!

5. pgsql/src/bin/psql nls.mk cs.po

6. Any InfoPower Users ??

7. CS Apps : TTable or TQuery ?

8. Q: Macintosh font for relational algebra symbols

9. Problem with Delphi3 CS and Sybase 11 - HELP please

10. kcip@cs.cuhk.hk

11. Delphi 2.0 CS Update & BLOB Problem

12. D2, IB-cs application problem

13. new listserv: delphi-cs-talk