Migrating from 7.31 to 9.20

Post by Obnoxio The Clow » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

>Hello everybody

>I am in the database world for the last  5 years working on Informix ( as
>well
>as  O and S )

>Is any body sure out there that there are changes in storage data
>structures
>from 7.31 to 9.20 ?
>dbexport and dbimport is okay for small databases.  What if the Database
>size is
>a Terrabyte and above.  I do not think Informix can afford recommend
>'dbimport'
>and 'dbexport' as  a practical solution.

Are you implying that my recommendations aren't up to snuff? :-)

I think (and this is just a thought) that an in-place upgrade from 7.31 to
9.21 should be fairly painless.

> >>So, which way would be better to ugrade database from
> >>IDS 7.31 to IDS 9.20?

> >>1) To take backups from database, go to Quiescent mode
> >>and install new version over older?

> >>OR:

> >>2) install 9.20, take dbexport from IDS 7.31 and
> >>import it to 9.20?

> >Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 2). Also, I don't think 1) will work,
> >think you have to first revert to 7.30 then upgrade to 9.20. I could be
> >wrong, though. Oh, and going Quiescent will probably not work anyway --
>you
> >can't overwrite a file that's in use, IIRC.

>I guess I am old fashioned, too.  I prefer exporting the data and then
>importing it to the new version for all upgrades --- guess I find too many
>cases where there is bad data (ugh!) or many tables with MULTIPLE extents
>even try an in-place upgrade.

>David Weis
>Louisville, KY USA

>Voice: 502-637-7316

Migrating from 7.31 to 9.20

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >Hello everybody

> >I am in the database world for the last  5 years working on Informix ( as
> >well
> >as  O and S )

> >Is any body sure out there that there are changes in storage data
> >structures
> >from 7.31 to 9.20 ?
> >dbexport and dbimport is okay for small databases.  What if the Database
> >size is
> >a Terrabyte and above.  I do not think Informix can afford recommend
> >'dbimport'
> >and 'dbexport' as  a practical solution.

> Are you implying that my recommendations aren't up to snuff? :-)

> I think (and this is just a thought) that an in-place upgrade from 7.31 to
> 9.21 should be fairly painless.

Didn't I just say that?  I'm sure I just said that!

Art S. Kagel

> > >Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 2). Also, I don't think 1) will work,
> > >think you have to first revert to 7.30 then upgrade to 9.20. I could be
> > >wrong, though. Oh, and going Quiescent will probably not work anyway --
> >you
> > >can't overwrite a file that's in use, IIRC.

> >I guess I am old fashioned, too.  I prefer exporting the data and then
> >importing it to the new version for all upgrades --- guess I find too many
> >cases where there is bad data (ugh!) or many tables with MULTIPLE extents
> >even try an in-place upgrade.

> >David Weis
> >Louisville, KY USA

> >Voice: 502-637-7316

Migrating from 7.31 to 9.20

Post by Ram.Mohan.Kompe.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello everybody

I am in the database world for the last  5 years working on Informix ( as well
as  O and S )

Is any body sure out there that there are changes in storage data structures
from 7.31 to 9.20 ?
dbexport and dbimport is okay for small databases.  What if the Database size is
a Terrabyte and above.  I do not think Informix can afford recommend 'dbimport'
and 'dbexport' as  a practical solution.

Any ideas ???

Ram
Subject:    Re: Migrating from 7.31 to 9.20

Date:       7/10/00 8:54 AM

>>So, which way would be better to ugrade database from
>>IDS 7.31 to IDS 9.20?

>>1) To take backups from database, go to Quiescent mode
>>and install new version over older?

>>OR:

>>2) install 9.20, take dbexport from IDS 7.31 and
>>import it to 9.20?

>Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 2). Also, I don't think 1) will work, I
>think you have to first revert to 7.30 then upgrade to 9.20. I could be
>wrong, though. Oh, and going Quiescent will probably not work anyway -- you
>can't overwrite a file that's in use, IIRC.

I guess I am old fashioned, too.  I prefer exporting the data and then
importing it to the new version for all upgrades --- guess I find too many
cases where there is bad data (ugh!) or many tables with MULTIPLE extents to
even try an in-place upgrade.

David Weis
Louisville, KY USA

Voice: 502-637-7316

Migrating from 7.31 to 9.20

Post by Harry Shen » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Don't be surprised if some of your "drop procedure" script shutdown
your IDS9.2 instance after the upgrade.
It is on Solaris2.6.

> >Hello everybody

> >I am in the database world for the last  5 years working on Informix ( as
> >well
> >as  O and S )

> >Is any body sure out there that there are changes in storage data
> >structures
> >from 7.31 to 9.20 ?
> >dbexport and dbimport is okay for small databases.  What if the Database
> >size is
> >a Terrabyte and above.  I do not think Informix can afford recommend
> >'dbimport'
> >and 'dbexport' as  a practical solution.

> Are you implying that my recommendations aren't up to snuff? :-)

> I think (and this is just a thought) that an in-place upgrade from 7.31 to
> 9.21 should be fairly painless.

> > >Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 2). Also, I don't think 1) will
work,
> > >think you have to first revert to 7.30 then upgrade to 9.20. I could be
> > >wrong, though. Oh, and going Quiescent will probably not work anyway --
> >you
> > >can't overwrite a file that's in use, IIRC.

> >I guess I am old fashioned, too.  I prefer exporting the data and then
> >importing it to the new version for all upgrades --- guess I find too
many
> >cases where there is bad data (ugh!) or many tables with MULTIPLE extents
> >even try an in-place upgrade.

> >David Weis
> >Louisville, KY USA

> >Voice: 502-637-7316

Migrating from 7.31 to 9.20

Post by Tony Wood » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Ram,

I think they are asking to do the dbexport, dbimport as you get an
opportunity to solve the problems as below :
--Tables having more no. of extents
--Placing tables properly to balance IO to chunks/dbspaces

Dbexport, Dbimport is not a requirement but if you can afford the downtime
to do it, I would surely do it as it will tremendously improve the system
performance and also allow disk reorganisation.

And also there are changes in the storage structures and Informix will do it
automatically when you do oninit for the first time after upgradation. It
will also rebuild the sysmaster and sysutils database in that process.

Cheers !!!!!

Tony