DBI/DBD for INFORMIX-SE 7.24.UC5 for Linux Redhat

DBI/DBD for INFORMIX-SE 7.24.UC5 for Linux Redhat

Post by Hoang Nguye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Has any one successfully compiled the DBD modules
to access informix-se database on Linux?

I have INFORMIX-SE 7.24 installed on my linux box
but haven't figured out what's the DBI/DBD version
that will work with this INFORMIX.

If someone has already done so! please tell me where
I can get these drivers!

Thanks!

Harry

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Has any one successfully compiled the DBD modules
> to access informix-se database on Linux?

Yes; I have.

Quote:> I have INFORMIX-SE 7.24 installed on my linux box
> but haven't figured out what's the DBI/DBD version
> that will work with this INFORMIX.

DBI 1.02, DBD::Informix 0.60 works on RedHat 5.1; so
would most other combinations which are self-consistent,
I think, though I'm certainly not planning to do any testing
of older versions.

Quote:> If someone has already done so! please tell me where
> I can get these drivers!

See my signature...

What problem(s) are you having?  Have you set DBPATH?  Have you got
ESQL/C running OK?  If you haven't got ESQL/C up and running, you
do have problems.  It should work out of the box on Caldera 1.2 and
S.u.S.E 5.2, but the glibc ports require some extra setup.

I have previously posted a patch to c.d.i for the esql script for
glibc ports of Linux (eg RedHat 5.1).  It will soon appear on the
IDN web site -- http://www.informix.com/idn -- in the D4GL section
(for inscrutable reasons).

Also, did you read the README files?  Possibly not if you don't yet
have the software -- but you should read them.  They're available
from CPAN separately from the full source for DBI and DBD::Informix.

--

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.60 -- see http://www.perl.com/CPAN
#include <disclaimer.h>

DBI/DBD for INFORMIX-SE 7.24.UC5 for Linux Redhat

Post by David Meye » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Jonathon, Hoang,

I have run into some problems after studying the readme.
I can make the DBI but I receive an error when I make DBD [Makefile.PL -
home/informix/lib/esql/libixos.so: undefined reference to `crypt'.].  I put
some print statements into the Makefile.PL to see what it was linking.

I created a hello.c program which I can get to compile and run. I can run
dbaccess for Informix
and everything there looks cool.   Any help would be great!   BTW - can
anyone explain
what this glibc issue is for Redhat?  Would it be better for me just to
switch to Caldera or
something else?  I have found reference to this issue in the Linux Journal
and through out
the newsgroups.

Thanks in Advance,

David Meyer

The details
Redhat 5.1
Informix 7.24.UC5
PERL 5.004_04 built for i386-linux
DBD-0.93
DBD-Informix-0.60
gcc version 2.7.2.3

$ perl Makefile.PL

Configuring DBD::Informix version 0.60...
        You are using DBI version 0.93 and Perl version 5.00404
Remember to actually read the README file!

*** Ideally, you should upgrade to DBI version 0.95.

Using INFORMIX-ESQL Version 7.24.UC5 from /home/informix

DBD::Informix doesn't check whether ODBC or Informix-CLI software
is installed any more.  It uses a home-brew odbctype.h instead.

Testing whether your Informix test environment will work...
EQ: INFORMIXC='/usr/bin/perl esqlcc' ESQLCC='cc' esql
OBJEXT: .o
VERCODE: esqlc_v6
ABOUT TO system: INFORMIXC='/usr/bin/perl esqlcc' ESQLCC='cc'
esql -c -Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include  -DESQLC_VERSION=724 -DU
SE_PROTOTYPES esqltest.ec
cc: /home/informix/lib/libnetstub.so: linker input file unused since linking
not done
ABOUT TO system: INFORMIXC='/usr/bin/perl esqlcc' ESQLCC='cc'
esql -c -Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include  -DESQLC_VERSION=724 -DU
SE_PROTOTYPES esqlc_v6.ec
cc: /home/informix/lib/libnetstub.so: linker input file unused since linking
not done
ABOUT TO system: INFORMIXC='/usr/bin/perl esqlcc' ESQLCC='cc' esql -o
esqltest esqltest.o esqlc_v6.o
/home/informix/lib/esql/libixos.so: undefined reference to `crypt'
Failed to link test program esqltest

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Jonathon, Hoang,

> I have run into some problems after studying the readme.
> I can make the DBI but I receive an error when I make DBD [Makefile.PL -
> home/informix/lib/esql/libixos.so: undefined reference to `crypt'.].

You have indeed run into ONE of the problems with RH5.x.  This one
however has a workaround just add -lcrypt to the esql flags.

As far as the rest of the RH5 issues search the IIUG archives of this
newsgroup for any of the several posts explaining the problem.  It is
too complex to want to repeat.

HOWEVER, you can now download a glibc version from Informix for RH5.x!
That version seems to have also solved the zombie problem.

Art S. Kagel

DBI/DBD for INFORMIX-SE 7.24.UC5 for Linux Redhat

Post by Kurt Wa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Using recycled bits, Jonathan Leffler pleaded:
%I have previously posted a patch to c.d.i for the esql script for
%glibc ports of Linux (eg RedHat 5.1).  It will soon appear on the
%IDN web site -- http://www.informix.com/idn -- in the D4GL section
%(for inscrutable reasons).

Sounds like a FAQ.

--
Kurt Wall
Informix on Linux FAQ: http://www.users.uswest.net/~kwall/iolfaq.html

DBI/DBD for INFORMIX-SE 7.24.UC5 for Linux Redhat

Post by Kurt Wa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Using recycled bits, David Meyer pleaded:
%Jonathon, Hoang,
%
%I have run into some problems after studying the readme.
%I can make the DBI but I receive an error when I make DBD [Makefile.PL -
%home/informix/lib/esql/libixos.so: undefined reference to `crypt'.].  I put
%some print statements into the Makefile.PL to see what it was linking.
%
%I created a hello.c program which I can get to compile and run. I can run
%dbaccess for Informix
%and everything there looks cool.   Any help would be great!   BTW - can
%anyone explain
%what this glibc issue is for Redhat?  Would it be better for me just to
%switch to Caldera or
%something else?  I have found reference to this issue in the Linux Journal
%and through out
%the newsgroups.

You missed Jonathan's remark about his hack to fix this and other problems
for glibc.  For the record:

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:51:33 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: LINUX/SE problem, error #25591

> > Where can I get SE for RH Linux?

> Well, it depends on what you want.

> I'm using RH 5.1 on a machine at home and a machine in the office,
> and I'm using the SE and ESQL/C 7.24.UC5 released back in July.

> I made two sets of changes to the esql script to get it to work the
> way I want it to:
>   *   Add -lcrypt after -lm
>   *   Add code to recognize '-c' as an option, and
>   *   Add code to zap all the library names when -c was
>       used as an option because GCC complains if you say
>           gcc -c xyz.c -lm

> With those two (or three; it depends on how you count them) changes,
> I've been running my SQLCMD program quite happily.  That's a non-
> trivial hunk of ESQL/C code.  On my machine at home, I had enough
> disk space to install Everything; on the machine in the office, I
> had 1/10th the space, so I didn;t install everything.  I don't think
> that I'm using the libc5 compatability libraries on either machine,
> but equally, I'm not running into problems.

> I've had other reports that there are problems with RH.

> The 25591 error sounds like a networking problem. Use seipcpip
> connections instead unless you've got a very good reason no to do so.

> Remember: I speak for myself, not for Informix -- especially this time.

And here's a patch file (unified diff) of the changes I made.
As I said, this is working for me on RedHat 5.1, but YMMV.

Yours,

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.60 -- http://www.perl.com/CPAN
Informix IDN for D4GL & Linux -- http://www.informix.com/idn

--- esql.original       Mon Jul 13 22:59:44 1998

     GLSLIB=-lixgls
     GLXLIB=-lixglx
     NETSTUB="${INFDIR}/lib/libnetstub.so "
 fi

-SYSLIB="-lm "
+SYSLIB="-lm -lcrypt"
 SYSNLIB=""
 TLILIB=""
 THLIB=$THREADLIB
 CHKAPI=${INFDIR}/lib/esql/checkapi.o
 LPATH=${INFDIR}/lib
+DOLINK=yes

 nettli="TRUE"
 # check for the existence of libraries specified in TLILIB
 if test "x$TLILIB" = "x"

             ;;

        "" )
            break;
            ;;
+       -c )
+           DOLINK=no
+           A="$A $1"
+           shift
+           ;;
        * )
            A="$A $1"
            shift
            ;;

 # compile .C (c++) files
 if test "$B"
 then
     $CPP $INCLUDE -I$INFDIR/incl/esql -c $B
+fi
+
+if test "$DOLINK" = no
+then
+       ALIB=
+       CHKAPI=
+       COMB=
+       GLIB=
+       GLSLIB=
+       GLXLIB=
+       OLIB=
+       SLIB=
+       SYSLIB=
+       SYSNLIB=
 fi

 # compile .c files, link with c++ .o's in $BO
 if test "$STATOPT"
 then

Sounds like another FAQ...

--
Kurt Wall
Informix on Linux FAQ: http://www.users.uswest.net/~kwall/iolfaq.html

1. Informix SE 7.24.UC5 on RedHat Linux 6.2 and password security

There would seem to be some issues with password security and this
software/OS combination.

We can establish a connection using dbaccess or ODBC only if we attempt to
connect with the root login and password.

1 - Has anyone experienced the same problems?

2 - Is there a patch or workaround solution that would enable remote
connections under more reasonable security parameters for local hosts on the
network?

3 - Am I simply missing something.

2. Getting the MAX/RECENT date wihtout grouping ????

3. Informix SE 7.24.UC5 on Linux

4. delete a datafile safely

5. SE 7.24.UC5 on Slackware Linux 7.1

6. Opportunity for Certified Professionals

7. ODBC problem with CSDK 2.70 to SE 7.24.UC5

8. INGRES Rules and Procedures

9. Is Informix 7.24.UC5-1 free of Feb 29, 2000 bug (B60150)

10. Install DBD-Informix-0.24 on HP-UX

11. se 7.24 uc5 with redhat 6.1

12. Informix SE and Linux Redhat 6.2

13. ODBC access to INFORMIX SE on Redhat Linux 7.1