Continuous Log Backup to Disk

Post by Curtis Prest » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Yes, I have a script that will do that automatically for you.
Is that what you are looking for?

Post by Doug Ott » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Has anyone written a (yes we know, unsupported) continuous log back up
> program that outputs to disk for version 7.1X Informix?

You can do that by using a filename as your LTAPEDEV.  Note that
everytime you stop/start logging to that file it will overwrite what is
there so you'll have to setup a mechanism to protect against that.  Just
make sure the file is 660 informix.informix

I occasionally do that very thing if I'm away from the office and can't
find anyone to change a tape for me when my pager goes off.

Technical Manager, Database Development    (800) 829-8727 ext. 3137

Post by Gert van Ec » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Has anyone written a (yes we know, unsupported) continuous log back up
> program that outputs to disk for version 7.1X Informix?

Yes I have scripts that do the job for a.o. AIX 3.2 they work on OnLine 7
versions only are event (alarmprogram) based and even function correct if
the next log completes before the backup of the previous log is
completed. It functions now for 2 years, doing 10 - 20 logs of 20Mb per
day on a 7 day / week basis. Also recovery of the database and rolling
forward 24 hours of tansactions has proven to work correctly.

The only thing is that implementation, maintenance and operation
(starting/stopping engines, interupting/restarting logging a.s.o.) and
recovering a database requires some documentation. This documentation is
only available in dutch now.

PLease react if you are interested in some way

Gert van Eck
DBA Nederland BV