dbload

Post by Alex McLinto » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 20:51:36

Help!

I am trying to dbload a table with 78 fields. (The table does have
78 fields, my ascii text has 78 fields, the dbload commands say 78)
but I am getting the error :

Number of values given does not match number of columns

(I have tried using delimiter ',' as well as | )

Now the only thing I can think of is that each record (ie line) is
approx 700 char in length. Is this breaking the INSERT?

I do have the trailing delimiter on the end of each line...

(Using Informix SE)
--

Editor for the Project Galactic Guide (alt.galactic-guide) Number 6

dbload

Post by Trevor Reynol » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 05:36:10

Quote:

> I do have the trailing delimiter on the end of each line...

That is your problem I think, I've had the same problem and as far as I can
remember trial and error lead me to delete the trailing delimiter which
resulted in success.
--
Trevor Reynolds
English Heritage

dbload

Post by Jeffrey Stu » Fri, 18 Nov 1994 08:58:36

: Help!

: I am trying to dbload a table with 78 fields. (The table does have
: 78 fields, my ascii text has 78 fields, the dbload commands say 78)
: but I am getting the error :

: Number of values given does not match number of columns

Make sure that:
  1)  Each line has exactly 78 delimiters, and each delimiter
      *follows* the data field;
  2)  The delimiter character does not occur anywhere else in the data,
      unless escaped with a backslash '\';
  3)  The data never has a backslash at the end of a data field,
      which would escape the delimiter; and
  4)  The insert column list ["INSERT INTO tab1 (col1, col2, ...)"]
      (if you are using one) has the correct number of columns.

That's all my ideas.  Does it successfully load *any* of the rows?
If you still have trouble, E-mail me your command file, schema and
sample data and I'll take a look.

: --

: Editor for the Project Galactic Guide (alt.galactic-guide) Number 6

--
Jeff Sturm

dbload

Post by Chetan ana » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 13:43:11

> Help!

> I am trying to dbload a table with 78 fields. (The table does have
> 78 fields, my ascii text has 78 fields, the dbload commands say 78)
> but I am getting the error :

> Number of values given does not match number of columns

> (I have tried using delimiter ',' as well as | )

> Now the only thing I can think of is that each record (ie line) is
> approx 700 char in length. Is this breaking the INSERT?

> I do have the trailing delimiter on the end of each line...

Hi,

What I feel is may be there is an extra space at the end of each row
in your ASCII File. Having this will also lead U to the Problem.

Check your ASCII File and try to load few rows ( 5 Rows ), since error
examine for the last space in the row ( after last delimiter ).

I had encountered this problem for having an extra space after the last
delimiter in each row which prompted error.

Rgds,

Chetan Anand
DH INTERNATIONAL (Singapore) PTE LTD
Singapore

dbload

Post by Henning Stemp » Wed, 23 Nov 1994 00:42:54

There have been several replies to your question concerning the error message using dbload. Yet there is another reason for your problem: empty lines at the end of your load file! Just have a look! Bye.

1. Insert rows vs. dbload

I used Informix JDBC drive to insert thousands of rows into different
Informix
tables. I am wonder if I create a text file and use dbload command, will
be
more efficient than used SQL INSERT statement?

Thank you!

2. How to get the Integer from SQL "Count" statement?

3. SAS v8 PROC DBLOAD to Sybase

4. Newbie question about creating a query.

5. Help... dbload and temp tables

6. Web-DB architectures?

7. DBLOAD Comands HELP

8. VB4/5 skills urgently needed in the UK

9. problem with dbload!

10. help! dbload fails without error message

11. dbload limitation?

12. dbload + implied decimal

13. problem with dbload!