page layout, graphics to printers from i4gl reports.

page layout, graphics to printers from i4gl reports.

Post by Daniel Wynal » Wed, 02 Nov 1994 03:45:46

I am looking to find a better way to create 4GL reports (Vertical lines,
boxes, shading, etc) direct from 4gl.   Is there an addon program/filter
one can use to (ideally) design a form and place it in a file.  Then
I can feed this "filter" a listing of things to print in the fields on
that form.  The filter would then output (postscript or pcl) a form
that can be pretty printed on a printer?   I've designed ascii forms
forever and dream of the day I can print nice looking statements and
forms without inserting pre-printed forms...

A *BIG* plus here would be the ability to add BARCODES to the output...

SYSTEM:  SCO ODT 3.0  i486 box running Informix Online V5.01 w/ support.

Any alternatives to the filter idea would be greatly appreciated.

--

Wynalda Litho Inc.   | 8221 Graphic Industrial Pk. | Rockford, MI  49341

page layout, graphics to printers from i4gl reports.

Post by Jerry Ka » Thu, 03 Nov 1994 10:32:49

Quote:>I am looking to find a better way to create 4GL reports (Vertical lines,
>boxes, shading, etc) direct from 4gl.   Is there an addon program/filter
>one can use to (ideally) design a form and place it in a file.  Then
>I can feed this "filter" a listing of things to print in the fields on
>that form.  The filter would then output (postscript or pcl) a form
>that can be pretty printed on a printer?   I've designed ascii forms
>forever and dream of the day I can print nice looking statements and
>forms without inserting pre-printed forms...
>A *BIG* plus here would be the ability to add BARCODES to the output...
>SYSTEM:  SCO ODT 3.0  i486 box running Informix Online V5.01 w/ support.
>Any alternatives to the filter idea would be greatly appreciated.

I use the UNIX typesetting program groff.  Groff generates formatted text
and can handle different point sizes, formats (bold, ilitics, etc), and
various other features.  By using "pic", I can generate graphics with
shading, line, boxes, circles.  Another program "tbl", allows me to
create tables.  The filter can generate either postscript or PCL.  All of
this but the PCL is part of the groff package by gnu.  The PCL part,
called "psroff", is a program that translates troff code (groff output) to
PCL.  All you have to do is have your report generate groff code along
with the text.

Jerry
--
Jerry Kaas

page layout, graphics to printers from i4gl reports.

Post by Inxut » Thu, 03 Nov 1994 13:42:04

I posted to the "Fancy:Report Output in 4GL" some comments covering this,
FYI.

The shading of alternate lines has been acomplished best with Post Script
routines, which I
have somewhere in a header file somewhere.  If you're interested let me
know, and I'll find
somewhere to FTP them so you can hack with them.  I ran into a program a
couple of years
ago written ( hacked ) by many programmers that would take streamed input
and produce reports,
like TROFF, but the output was Post Script directly from the C program.
It needs work, and
if you're into linked lists and some code changing, let me know.  The
basic PS routines are
worth the price alone  :-)   You'll lose plenty of hours of sleep on this
one.  I'm convinced  It was
written on Mars.  It worked on a Sun workstation, whether or not it will
work on your platform
is another story.

I've just move to new offices and my source library is still in a box, but
will dig it out next week
if anyone is interested.

Tim Schaefer
The Computer Business Company

Post by Richard Spi » Thu, 03 Nov 1994 20:09:30

: I am looking to find a better way to create 4GL reports (Vertical lines,
: boxes, shading, etc) direct from 4gl.   Is there an addon program/filter
: one can use to (ideally) design a form and place it in a file. [...]

The  PRINT FILE "<filename>" command comes to mind here. You put the
PCL commands to print the form into that file and then include the
above statement into your 4GL report to be executed before the first
row of data is printed.

I don't know whether it is possible to make "filename" a variable, this
would surely add some more flexibility to the statement. However, you
CANNOT put this statement inside a PAGE HEADER or FIRST PAGE HEADER
section.

The drawback of this solution is that you still have to hardcode
the position of the data into your report. But if you know exactly
what form will be printed in your report, then you can probably live
with this.

Barcodes are relatively easy: Just print the PCL command for switching
your printer to the desired barcode font before you print your data, then
print the command that switches back to "normal" font. To print the
"ESCAPE" character, use "PRINT ASCII 27".

Hope this helps,
Richard
--
+----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

| EDV-Gruppe Anaesthesie     | Tel     : +49-89-7095-3421                |
| Klinikum Grosshadern       | FAX     : +49-89-7095-8886                |
| 81366 Munich, Germany      |                                           |
+----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

Post by Robert PUg » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 15:02:36

>I am looking to find a better way to create 4GL reports (Vertical lines,
>boxes, shading, etc) direct from 4gl.   Is there an addon program/filter
>one can use to (ideally) design a form and place it in a file.  Then
>I can feed this "filter" a listing of things to print in the fields on
>that form.  The filter would then output (postscript or pcl) a form

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but Xpoint in Canada has
a product called REFORM.  It allows you to define a form in advance
(PostScript or PCL) with all the fancy stuff.  Your 4gl program just sends
the data, the form determines placement (to some extent).  fGJ*z
It also allows you to create virtual printers loaded with your predefined
forms.

1. Help: Retaining Report Page Layout When Calling Report From Form

Using Paradox 5 (maintenance version), I am trying to print envelopes
to an HP LJ3 from a form. What does work is to pull up the report from
Project Viewer or whatever and print from it; the printer will ask for
COM-10s (envelopes). This is good. _But_ I can't call the report from
a form's pushbutton like:

        report.print("report.rdl")

It just prints according to the default Windows printer's settings,
which is usually 8? x 11. Anything I've set in the Report's Page
Layout doesn't take. Anyone? I've looked at reportPrintInfo stuff, but
I don't think it's there.

2. Check for ODBC Connection and Create

3. page layout for reports

4. MSSQL to PostgreSQL

5. Setting page layout in Data Report

6. Multi-threaded application for Informix On-line

7. need help saving page layout info for reports

8. binding collection

9. FPW26: Other report layout on second page

10. Report Page LayOut Problem

11. FPW 2.6 - reports: page layout

12. Tool for generating graphic layout of db-realtions

13. Need to create a graphic layout of my table relationshipd