dbaccess/isql

Post by Jane Vohde » Thu, 10 May 2001 07:05:36

I have users who would like to use isql for a specific database.  I don't
have a problem with this except for the fact that there are other databases
in that same instance that I don't want them accessing.  Is there anyway, I
can turn off their access to select a different database once they are in
isql?

Thanks in advance.

Jane Vohden
Database Administrator
Fairbanks North Star Borough

dbaccess/isql

Post by Murray Woo » Thu, 10 May 2001 10:17:11

REVOKE them permission so they do not have CONNECT permission to those
databases.

MW

Post by Carlos Benjami » Thu, 10 May 2001 23:17:47

>REVOKE them permission so they do not have CONNECT permission to those
>databases.

My guess is that he already knew that, but they need access to those databases from applications.

>MW

==
"Outlook not so good."
That magic 8-ball knows everything!
I'll ask about Exchange Server next.

Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

dbaccess/isql

Post by Bruce Henderso » Fri, 11 May 2001 00:22:26

You could set up an alias for isql where it defaults to a specific database.
something like
        alias isql='isql mydbase'

won't stop them changing databases once in isql, but you could always revoke
them from the user.

regards
Bruce.

Quote:> I have users who would like to use isql for a specific database.  I don't
> have a problem with this except for the fact that there are other
> databases
> in that same instance that I don't want them accessing.  Is there anyway,
> can turn off their access to select a different database once they are in
> isql?

Confidentiality: This e-mail including any attachments is intended for the
above named addressee(s) only and contains confidential information. If you
have received this email in error you must take no action based on its
contents , nor must you reproduce or show the e-mail or any attachments or
any part thereof or communicate the contents to anyone; please reply to the
sender of this e-mail informing them of the error.
Viruses: We recommend that in keeping with good computing practice the
recipient should ensure that e-mails received are virus free before opening.

dbaccess/isql

Post by Gerry Sturkenboo » Fri, 11 May 2001 05:19:43

If you revoke connection to the other databases for those users they will not be
able to establish a connection to them.

cc:    (bcc: Gerry Sturkenboom/ham/LIC)

Post by Andrew Ham » Fri, 11 May 2001 08:34:15

>>REVOKE them permission so they do not have CONNECT permission to those
>>databases.

>My guess is that he already knew that, but they need access to those

databases from applications.
And if that's the case - ain't nuttin you can do except stop access to isql
or dbaccess.

1. output of dbaccess/isql

Hi,
is it possible to manipulate the output-style of numeric fields in
dbaccess/isql ?

Example for decimal:

create table test (
id            int,
decfield   decimal(5,2)
);

select decfield / 1000 from test;

The output is 2 numbers for mantissa. But is it possible to get more ?

TIA
  Dirk

2. Cross database query!

3. dbaccess/isql

4. w4gl and C++

5. dbaccess/isql question

6. DDQ task SLOOOW to open

7. Easy to use isql, dbaccess, sqlplus relpacement

8. How to get serial number when inserted a new row in ADO?

9. Should I use dbaccess or isql ?

10. [Re: problem with select/isql/dbaccess?]