Informix onbar backup/restore with Veritas NetBackup

Informix onbar backup/restore with Veritas NetBackup

Post by Helmut Leininge » Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:59:45

Hi,

the installation is the following:

AIX 4.3.3
Informix 7.31
NetBackup 4.5 Informix client on AIX machine

NetBackup 4.5 Backup server/Media Server on Windows 2000

Problem:
The NetBackup documentation says that int htis case the restore has to be
started from the client (= AIX machine).
Q: How can I select which version of several generations I want to restore?

The NetBackup documentation refers to a "bplist" command and its man pages
Q: On a client only machine no NetBackup man pages are installed. How do I
know what the 27 flags of bplist mean?

Has someone a running configuration like this and can give me some hints?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Helmut Leininger
Bull AG Austria

Informix onbar backup/restore with Veritas NetBackup

Post by Brice Avi » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 01:37:15

Helmut,

1. If you mean by "version of several generations" as a point-in-time
or point-in-log restore, Netbackup doesn't control this . . . onbar
does. Netbackup supplies the XBSA libraries to onbar and onbar
controls the backup and restore process. Netbackup is "only following
orders" ;-).

2. The bplist command is documented on page 593 of the System
Administrator's Guide for Netbackup for UNIX, version 4.5. I agree
that it has a lot of options, but try this one:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C CLIENT_NAME -t 6 -R /

where CLIENT_NAME is from your "/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf" file on
your AIX client OR in your user informix "$HOME/bp.conf" file. If you
can see the images listed, then you should be able to run your restore
using the onbar commands. There is a similar bplist command for your
NT media / master server. The bplist command just lists the images,
and is not directly a part of the backup or restore process.

Hope this information helps.

Brice Avila

Post by Helmut Leininge » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:52:59

> Helmut,

> 1. If you mean by "version of several generations" as a point-in-time
> or point-in-log restore, Netbackup doesn't control this . . . onbar
> does. Netbackup supplies the XBSA libraries to onbar and onbar
> controls the backup and restore process. Netbackup is "only following
> orders" ;-).

> 2. The bplist command is documented on page 593 of the System
> Administrator's Guide for Netbackup for UNIX, version 4.5. I agree
> that it has a lot of options, but try this one:

> /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C CLIENT_NAME -t 6 -R /

> where CLIENT_NAME is from your "/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf" file on
> your AIX client OR in your user informix "$HOME/bp.conf" file. If you
> can see the images listed, then you should be able to run your restore
> using the onbar commands. There is a similar bplist command for your
> NT media / master server. The bplist command just lists the images,
> and is not directly a part of the backup or restore process.

> Hope this information helps.

> Brice Avila

>>Hi,

>>the installation is the following:

>>AIX 4.3.3
>>Informix 7.31
>>NetBackup 4.5 Informix client on AIX machine

>>NetBackup 4.5 Backup server/Media Server on Windows 2000

>>Problem:
>>The NetBackup documentation says that int htis case the restore has to be
>>started from the client (= AIX machine).
>>Q: How can I select which version of several generations I want to restore?

>>The NetBackup documentation refers to a "bplist" command and its man pages
>>Q: On a client only machine no NetBackup man pages are installed. How do I
>>know what the 27 flags of bplist mean?

>>Has someone a running configuration like this and can give me some hints?

>>Many thanks in advance and best regards

>>Helmut Leininger
>>Bull AG Austria

Brice,
Thank you for your response.

I understand that NetBackup is only executing orders sent by onbar.

My remaining question now is:
using bplist, I can see backups from, let's say, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
? How do I tell onbar on Friday to restore Monday's backup?

Regards and thanks

--
Helmut Leininger

Bull AG / Vienna
Open Systems Support

This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
No guarantees whatsoever.

Post by Helmut Leininge » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:33:38

>> Helmut,

>> 1. If you mean by "version of several generations" as a point-in-time
>> or point-in-log restore, Netbackup doesn't control this . . . onbar
>> does. Netbackup supplies the XBSA libraries to onbar and onbar
>> controls the backup and restore process. Netbackup is "only following
>> orders" ;-).

>> 2. The bplist command is documented on page 593 of the System
>> Administrator's Guide for Netbackup for UNIX, version 4.5. I agree
>> that it has a lot of options, but try this one:

>> /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C CLIENT_NAME -t 6 -R /

>> where CLIENT_NAME is from your "/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf" file on
>> your AIX client OR in your user informix "$HOME/bp.conf" file. If you
>> can see the images listed, then you should be able to run your restore
>> using the onbar commands. There is a similar bplist command for your
>> NT media / master server. The bplist command just lists the images,
>> and is not directly a part of the backup or restore process.

>> Hope this information helps.

>> Brice Avila

>>> Hi,

>>> the installation is the following:

>>> AIX 4.3.3
>>> Informix 7.31
>>> NetBackup 4.5 Informix client on AIX machine

>>> NetBackup 4.5 Backup server/Media Server on Windows 2000

>>> Problem:
>>> The NetBackup documentation says that int htis case the restore has
>>> to be
>>> started from the client (= AIX machine).
>>> Q: How can I select which version of several generations I want to
>>> restore?

>>> The NetBackup documentation refers to a "bplist" command and its man
>>> pages
>>> Q: On a client only machine no NetBackup man pages are installed. How
>>> do I
>>> know what the 27 flags of bplist mean?

>>> Has someone a running configuration like this and can give me some
>>> hints?

>>> Many thanks in advance and best regards

>>> Helmut Leininger
>>> Bull AG Austria

> Brice,
> Thank you for your response.

> I understand that NetBackup is only executing orders sent by onbar.

> My remaining question now is:
> using bplist, I can see backups from, let's say, Monday, Tuesday,
> Wednesday.
> ? How do I tell onbar on Friday to restore Monday's backup?

> Regards and thanks

I found it. The option -t in onbar does the trick (somewhat strange to
find out the correct format, but anyway).

Thanks for helping.

--
Helmut Leininger

Bull AG / Vienna
Open Systems Support

This opinion is mine and not necessarily that of my employer.
No guarantees whatsoever.

Informix onbar backup/restore with Veritas NetBackup

Post by Brice Avi » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:59:53

<snip>

Quote:

> I understand that NetBackup is only executing orders sent by onbar.

> My remaining question now is:
> using bplist, I can see backups from, let's say, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

1. Separate your logical log backup policy from your level 0 backup
policy, so that when you run your bplist command you can distinguish
between your level 0 backups and the logical log backups.
2. Add the -k, -s, and -e parameters to the bplist command:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C CLIENT_NAME -t 6 -k <policy_name>
-R / -s mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss -e mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss

Quote:> ? How do I tell onbar on Friday to restore Monday's backup?

I am answering this email on Thursday, August 29, 2002. To restore
Monday's backup that was finished at 8AM:

onbar -r -t "2002-08-26 08:01:00"

Alternately if you know what log number you would like to restore to,
you can use the point-in-log command:

onbar -r -n <log_number>

Quote:> Regards and thanks

> --
> Helmut Leininger

Your welcome, Helmut. Hope this information helps.

Brice Avila

<snip>