Answer about DIFFERENCES BETWEEN INFORMIX-SE / INFORMIX-ONLINE

Answer about DIFFERENCES BETWEEN INFORMIX-SE / INFORMIX-ONLINE

Post by david zho » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, Informix SQL Gurus:

I have the following questions:

Our application is migrating from Informix On-Line to Informix SE.
In our application, I need to create a joined table from tables in
DIFFERENT databases, using ESQL/C. This could be easily done with
ON_LINE engine which allowes opening multiple databases at the same time.
Howere, Informix SE can open only one databases at a time. Is there a way
to fix the problem. Any hint will be appreciated.

David.

Answer about DIFFERENCES BETWEEN INFORMIX-SE / INFORMIX-ONLINE

Post by Rudy Fernand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hi, Informix SQL Gurus:

>I have the following questions:

>Our application is migrating from Informix On-Line to Informix SE.
>In our application, I need to create a joined table from tables in
>DIFFERENT databases, using ESQL/C. This could be easily done with
>ON_LINE engine which allowes opening multiple databases at the same time.
>Howere, Informix SE can open only one databases at a time. Is there a way
>to fix the problem. Any hint will be appreciated.

>David.

Here's one solution -. What follows in part of a 4gl program

FUNCTION get_info_from_2dbs()

# First, select the first Database
DATABASE db_one

# Unload the table
UNLOAD TO junk.dat
SELECT * FROM db_one_table
..Add where clause if possible

# Select the second database
DATABASE db_two

# Load the data into a table of identical structure (or create temp table..)
LOAD FROM junk.dat
INSERT INTO db_two_table

# Now, query away.

END FUNCTION

Hope this helps,
Rudy

1. DIFFERENCES BETWEEN INFORMIX-SE/INFORMIX-ONLINE

It must be all that Espresso...

Then how come your e-mail address is Umberto? :-)

I assume you want to move a database from OL to SE. The major differences
are that in OL, you have control over read ISOLATION LEVELs, PAGE or ROW
mode locking and you have greater control over how big and where your
database is.

You should (with a few caveats) be able to migrate successfully between OL
and SE. But why do you want to? OL is a much better engine.

There are hundreds, but they're mostly hidden from the developer/user.
Data is stored using the O/S with SE, and the O/S is largely bypassed with
OL. This is why OL is much faster and more reliable. From a functionality
viewpoint (from a developer's perspective), I reckon you should be able to
migrate without much trouble.

SE does support transactions.

YAMMV, IMHO and RTFM.

HTH.

--
Ciao,

Billy

| Billy Wheeler     Junior Programmer / Director     The West Solutions Group  |

2. Problem with Find In server side cursors

3. ZIP and UNZIP in PLB

4. differences between Informix IDS and ONLINE and SE.

5. Import Question

6. INFORMIX SE vs INFORMIX OnLine

7. Multiple Recordsets Using VB, ADO and SQL 7.0 Stored Procedures

8. Informix-Online Workgroups and Informix-SE on same machine

9. Informix-SE vs Informix-OnLine Benchmarks