Error 451 Locator Buffer Size Too Small when using dbexport in Informix Online Workgroup Server 7.22

Error 451 Locator Buffer Size Too Small when using dbexport in Informix Online Workgroup Server 7.22

Post by cls.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm getting an error #451: Locator buffer size too small when using
dbexport.  It works with some databases but not others.

I'm running Informix online workgroup server 7.22 (for NT).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Crystal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Error 451 Locator Buffer Size Too Small when using dbexport in Informix Online Workgroup Server 7.22

Post by cls.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We gave up and purchased a support contract.  Looks like it's a bug
within DBExport and DBAccess in version 7.22.  This is something I
wrote up for us internally (workaround):

----------------------------------TO EXPORT A DATABASE
(this so far as been a big headache which is why I'm writing a
procedure for it.)

USING DBEXPORT from the COMMAND LINE UTILITY (now, after changes have
been made-- see below for changes)

1. Log in as Informix on <server>, double-click the Command Line
Utility shortuct on the desktop.
2. Type: "dbexport <name of db>"
3. In the directory you're in (should be <drive>:\Informix\bin\) there
should be a folder created called <name of db>.exp.  For example
procedures.exp if the name of your database is procedures.
4. Log onto new computer as Informix.  Run the comand line utility,
also from the desktop.  Type: "dbimport -i e:\ <name of db>" where e:\
is the directory where the <name of db>.exp directory is kept.  Since
there can be several .exp folders in that folder you need to specify
the name of the database you'd like to import.  The -i means that
you're going to specify a pathname for informix to look for a <name of
db>.exp folder in.
5. The new DB is now created.

If you'd like to change the name of the database as you're transferring
it (you're not supposed to do this with dbexport) but I did anyway
1. After exporting using dbexport, open the folder that contains that
<name of db>.exp folder and change the name of that folder to the name
you want to call it.  For example from procedures.exp to
procedurestest.exp.
2. Open that folder, inside there will be a SQL file with the name of
the DB you exported from.  Change the name of that file to the new name
for the DB.  For example, from procedures.sql to procedurestest.sql.
3. Open that SQL file, in the first line it should say { DATABASE <name
of db> delimiter | } or something similar.  Change the name of the
database to the new name.  For example change from { DATABASE
procedures delimiter | } to { DATABASE procedurestest delimiter | }.
Save and exit.
4. Run dbimport using the new name of the database (example: dbimport -
i e:\ procedurestest.)

CHANGES THAT I MADE SO THAT DBEXPORT (and DBAccess) WORK

1. In Control Panel | System | Enviroment tab I added DB_LOCALE and
CLIENT_LOCALE variables, both with the value of en_us.8859-1.  I added
these both as system and as user variables.  (USELESS).
2. In Setnet32 I set the DB_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE variables to the
same value.  (USELESS).
3. I opened the setenv.cmd file with notepad (which is located in the
informix directory and which runs every time you run the command line
utilities or DBAccess) and both DB_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE were listed
in that file but one of them was set to something other than en_us.8859-
1 so I set both of them to this.  This WORKED.

The errors I got #451: Locator buffer size too small.  Whenever trying
to export a db with a text field (or even unload or onunload in
DBAccess).

----------------------------

Hope this helps,

Post by r.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: We gave up and purchased a support contract.  Looks like it's a bug
: within DBExport and DBAccess in version 7.22.  This is something I
: wrote up for us internally (workaround):
[...]
: The errors I got #451: Locator buffer size too small.  Whenever trying
: to export a db with a text field (or even unload or onunload in
: DBAccess).

I missed the original posting on this
subject. However I would like to say that
I see this message produced very frequently
indeed on our production servers, *and* I
can reproduce it, *and* I have worked around it.

The workaround was to modify DBD::Informix
to simply turn 451 errors into no errors and
continue (I can post an actual patch if people
are interested). Unbelievably this works fine.

A real solution to the problem and an admission
from Informix that it's a bug would be welcome.

Rich.

--

BiblioTech Ltd, Unit 2 Piper Centre, 50 Carnwath Road, London, SW6 3EG.
+44 171 384 6917 | Click here to play XRacer: http://xracer.annexia.org/

1. Error 451 Locator Buffer Size too small?????

Hello,

I'm a novice Informix user and I'm using the Online Server that ships
with Netscape Enterprise Server 3.0 (LiveWire).  When I try to unload a
table that contains blobs, I get an ERROR 415 locator buffer size too
small.  Does anybody have a solution to this one??  I've checked the
docs and have had no luck.

Thanks,

Dan Pereira
Senoir Release Engineer,
Agora Digital Inc.

2. importing text with commas

3. OpenResultset Error : Locator buffer size too small

4. Color change in OpenROAD

5. Error on OpenResultset Method - Locator buffer size too small

6. Accessing remote databases

7. online workgroup server 7.22 on NT Server CLI probs

8. How to install a listener on an NT machine?

9. Locator Buffer Size too Small

10. Locator buffer size to small

11. Informix 7.22 Online under AIX 4.1 ERRORS !!!!!

12. DBD::Informix, 451 errors & Linux