please, help with ODBC/DNS

please, help with ODBC/DNS

Post by Alexey Shevchukevic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



        Hi All,

    I'm extremely needed to create DSN in order to
connect to Informix via ODBC driver from Perl.
    What I did: in ControlPanel (by the way I didn't
mentioned that I'm using Informix on WinNT) I'm
choosing ODBC, next SystemDSN. Then I'm pressing
'Add' button . Create New Data Source dialog is appeared.
I'm choosing 'Informix 2.80 32 BIT' driver and click finish
button. Then it's appeared the INFORMIX-CLI DSN Setup.
Can anyone send me example of the filled fields in this dialog
especially of the first part of this one ?

Thank you
Alexey.

 
 
 

please, help with ODBC/DNS

Post by allen » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


hhmmm........I always use the "User DSN" tab - I don't know what the
difference is.  

As for the Setup Screen:

Data Source Name:  This is arbitrary.  Just let your app know what you
choose.

Database: The informix database name you want to connect to with this
data source.

Server:  Whats the name of your informix server?  (ala onconfig
INFORMIXSERVER)

Host:  Whats the name of the box that the informix database lives on?
Make sure its represented in your local hosts file.

Service:  Whats the name of the service to use when using the database?
It should be in your local services file with the port number.

Protocol:  Check your Informix manuals on this one.  I use onsoctcp.

HTH

allen


>         Hi All,

>     I'm extremely needed to create DSN in order to
> connect to Informix via ODBC driver from Perl.
>     What I did: in ControlPanel (by the way I didn't
> mentioned that I'm using Informix on WinNT) I'm
> choosing ODBC, next SystemDSN. Then I'm pressing
> 'Add' button . Create New Data Source dialog is appeared.
> I'm choosing 'Informix 2.80 32 BIT' driver and click finish
> button. Then it's appeared the INFORMIX-CLI DSN Setup.
> Can anyone send me example of the filled fields in this dialog
> especially of the first part of this one ?

> Thank you
> Alexey.


 
 
 

please, help with ODBC/DNS

Post by Imran Hussai » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Hello Alexey,
Before can use the ODBC driver, you must setup the CLI client. Run the CLI
Demo program to see if you can connect to the server.

I don't know if it will be helpful or not, but I have written a small
document that explains how to setup ODBC. It is not specific to Informix
but it is worth looking at. The address is http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft
and read the document for WinSQL.

Thanks,
Imran.

=====================================================================
Imran Hussain

For FREE Software visit
http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft
=====================================================================


> hhmmm........I always use the "User DSN" tab - I don't know what the
> difference is.

> As for the Setup Screen:

> Data Source Name:  This is arbitrary.  Just let your app know what you
> choose.

> Database: The informix database name you want to connect to with this
> data source.

> Server:  Whats the name of your informix server?  (ala onconfig
> INFORMIXSERVER)

> Host:  Whats the name of the box that the informix database lives on?
> Make sure its represented in your local hosts file.

> Service:  Whats the name of the service to use when using the database?
> It should be in your local services file with the port number.

> Protocol:  Check your Informix manuals on this one.  I use onsoctcp.

> HTH

> allen


> >         Hi All,

> >     I'm extremely needed to create DSN in order to
> > connect to Informix via ODBC driver from Perl.
> >     What I did: in ControlPanel (by the way I didn't
> > mentioned that I'm using Informix on WinNT) I'm
> > choosing ODBC, next SystemDSN. Then I'm pressing
> > 'Add' button . Create New Data Source dialog is appeared.
> > I'm choosing 'Informix 2.80 32 BIT' driver and click finish
> > button. Then it's appeared the INFORMIX-CLI DSN Setup.
> > Can anyone send me example of the filled fields in this dialog
> > especially of the first part of this one ?

> > Thank you
> > Alexey.

--
=====================================================================
Imran Hussain

For FREE Software visit
http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft
=====================================================================

 
 
 

please, help with ODBC/DNS

Post by Steven Wilcoxo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


That is, setup CLI using SetNet32 (in the Informix directory) and use
IloginDemo
for testing. Once you have everything running there you move to the ODBC on
the control panel.

S.W.

Quote:> Hello Alexey,
> Before can use the ODBC driver, you must setup the CLI client. Run the CLI
> Demo program to see if you can connect to the server.

> I don't know if it will be helpful or not, but I have written a small
> document that explains how to setup ODBC. It is not specific to Informix
> but it is worth looking at. The address is

http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft
> and read the document for WinSQL.

> Thanks,
> Imran.

> =====================================================================
> Imran Hussain

> For FREE Software visit
> http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft
> =====================================================================


> > hhmmm........I always use the "User DSN" tab - I don't know what the
> > difference is.

> > As for the Setup Screen:

> > Data Source Name:  This is arbitrary.  Just let your app know what you
> > choose.

> > Database: The informix database name you want to connect to with this
> > data source.

> > Server:  Whats the name of your informix server?  (ala onconfig
> > INFORMIXSERVER)

> > Host:  Whats the name of the box that the informix database lives on?
> > Make sure its represented in your local hosts file.

> > Service:  Whats the name of the service to use when using the database?
> > It should be in your local services file with the port number.

> > Protocol:  Check your Informix manuals on this one.  I use onsoctcp.

> > HTH

> > allen


> > >         Hi All,

> > >     I'm extremely needed to create DSN in order to
> > > connect to Informix via ODBC driver from Perl.
> > >     What I did: in ControlPanel (by the way I didn't
> > > mentioned that I'm using Informix on WinNT) I'm
> > > choosing ODBC, next SystemDSN. Then I'm pressing
> > > 'Add' button . Create New Data Source dialog is appeared.
> > > I'm choosing 'Informix 2.80 32 BIT' driver and click finish
> > > button. Then it's appeared the INFORMIX-CLI DSN Setup.
> > > Can anyone send me example of the filled fields in this dialog
> > > especially of the first part of this one ?

> > > Thank you
> > > Alexey.

> --
> =====================================================================
> Imran Hussain

> For FREE Software visit
> http://www.imranweb.com/freesoft
> =====================================================================

 
 
 

1. Create ODBC DNS in VB6 Help!

Hi,
I want create a ODBC data source name in target computer from my VB 6
application. What I did is
add ODBCTool.Dll to my application
write code like:

    Dim ODBCDsn As New Dsn
    Dim arrDns() As String, arrDrv() As String
    Dim Success As Boolean
    Success = ODBCDsn.GetDataSourceList(arrDns)
    Success = ODBCDsn.GetOdbcDriverList(arrDrv)
    Success = ODBCDsn.CreateDSN("Jin", "SQL Server", "(local)",
"databaseName", "userid", _
    "pwd", "Create DNS sample", False, "")

But I couldn't create a DNS in the ODBC. GetDataSourceList and
GetOdbcDriverList work very well. The definition of CreateDSN is
CreateDSN(DSNname As String, ODBCDriver As String, SVRname As String, DBname
As String, USER As String, PWD As String, DSNdesc As String, Silent As
Boolean, ODBCAttr As String) As Boolean

What I should put "Silent As Boolean" and "ODBCAttr As String" these two
parameters?

Thanks in advance!

Jin

2. Integrating Novell on Token Ring with Sybase UNIX on TCP/IP 802.3

3. Create ODBC DNS in VB6 Help

4. table update from flat file

5. COMBO BOX, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP!

6. Need setup.ins for upgrade of SQL7 to SQL2000

7. DNS SYSTEM SQL 7 and DNS SYSTEM SQL2000

8. Is this the case with Paradox 5.0 secondary indexes (slow???)

9. DNS - DNS-Less Error

10. Please help with Oracle ODBC Datasource - PLEASE???

11. emergency please help me please please please

12. APPROACH QUERY-PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

13. System DNS ODBC Connection