Online config for I-NET PC 5.01 to Online 7.1

Online config for I-NET PC 5.01 to Online 7.1

Post by Mark Dav » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

We have a client that has Online Dynamic Server Ver 7.1.  I have no problem
setting up 5.x for remote SQL access, but how do I configure a 7.1 engine
to do this?  I understand that the engine "automatically" creates a thread
for each request, but how do I get any kind of response out of the engine?

Also, after looking at several chapters in the manual the client faxed to me
I believe I understand how the sqlhosts file is used for connecting to other
servers (which we don't need), but their is one statement that says that
the sqlhosts file must be present on a machine that is ONLY acting as a
server.  What role does this play for the server?  Does this mean I have
to have 1 entry in the sqlhosts file for EACH AND EVERY COMPUTER that may
wish to do doe remote access via TCP/IP?  And a unique ALIAS name in the
onconfig file for each one of them?  This seems unlikely since you could
potentially have hundreds of machines that may all access the same server.

What am I missing?

this group often enough to see any answers before they get deleted from this
news server... Thanks for any insight.

Online config for I-NET PC 5.01 to Online 7.1

Post by Chris Jenkin » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi Mark,

This setup is quite straighforward. First lets make a few
assumptions for the purposes of this example.

Unix machine where OnLine is running has a TCP/IP hostname of
'server1' in /etc/hosts (or NIS database)

TCP/IP port number to use (c.f. OnLine 5.0) is defined in /etc/services
(or NIS) with name 'ifxsrv1'.

DBSERVERNAME in OnLine 7.1 ONCONFIG file is 'dbserver1'

Your sqlhosts file ($INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts) will look like this:

dbserver1   onsoctcp    server1   ifxsrv1

OR, if your OnLine port uses TLI instead of sockets (check release
notes)

dbserver1   ontlitcp    server1   ifxsrv1

When you bring OnLine up, it will use the ONCONFIG DBSERVERNAME as an
index into the sqlhosts file and determine that it must listen for
client connections on port 'ifxsrv1'.

If you also wish to use shared memory connectivity for local Unix
clients youe will need a DBSERVERALIASES parameter with a different
name, say 'dbserver1shm' and an additional line in sqlhosts

dbserver1shm  onipcshm   server1   someuniquestring

Hope that helps,

Chris Jenkins

--

Quote:>>> All statements and opinions are mine and should in no way <<<
>>> be construed as representing those of Informix Software   <<<

1. INET 5.01 for NT and ONLINE 5.01

I'm trying to use INET 5.01 for NT with ONLINE 5.01 for UNIX.
Sometime using the ilogin the connection to database is ok.
Sometime (the most of the times) the connection fails with the error
code -457, "Database server terminated unexpectedly has occurred'
Someboy knows which is the problem?

2. Halting execution of an OPAL method?

3. Informix I-Net PC and Informix Online 5.01

4. Possibly naive question about merging fields

5. Online 6/Solaris 2.3/Inet 5.01

6. ODBC Data retrievel for informix

7. Informix Online 5.01 versus Online 7.x

8. ESQLC, INET, VisualC++ 4.0, Visual FoxPro, Online 7.1

9. How to migrate database on Online Dynamic Server 7.2 to Online Dynamic Server 7.1

10. ONLINE 7.1 NT, ONLINE 5.0 UNIX

11. Upgrade from I-Net PC 4.1 to I-Net for Windows 5.01 on Win95