Infomix 9.4 install on redhat

Post by BMW » Fri, 30 May 2003 20:48:05

Hi all,
have a problem installing infomix on redhat,
i've downloaded the (linux) zip file from iiug.org and unzipped it on the
machine with the unzip command.
when the unzip operation finnishes, i get a cpio archive which i try extract
using --> cpio -idvm IDS.cpio
but nothing happens, after w8ing a hour, i "killed" the operation, but am
still not able to extract

any idea what could cause the prob ?

hope to hear soon
regards

PS:
i tried to extract as root and have plenty of diskspace.

Post by Walter Haslbec » Fri, 30 May 2003 21:50:56

> using --> cpio -idvm IDS.cpio
> but nothing happens, after w8ing a hour, i "killed" the operation, but am

cpio -i reads from STDIN, so try cpio -idvm < IDS.cpio

Walter

Infomix 9.4 install on redhat

Post by Ben Thompso » Fri, 30 May 2003 22:51:52

The instructions in the release notes need a little adjustment on Linux
(not sure about other platforms). Using the command given nothing will
happen, the cpio command will just sit idle. Try:

cpio -icvdumB < IDS.cpio

The file should extract immediately.

Ben.

Infomix 9.4 install on redhat

Post by BMW » Sat, 31 May 2003 00:03:34

thx guys,
it works
:)

Quote:> Hi all,
> have a problem installing infomix on redhat,
> i've downloaded the (linux) zip file from iiug.org and unzipped it on the
> machine with the unzip command.
> when the unzip operation finnishes, i get a cpio archive which i try
extract
> using --> cpio -idvm IDS.cpio
> but nothing happens, after w8ing a hour, i "killed" the operation, but am
> still not able to extract

> any idea what could cause the prob ?

> hope to hear soon
> regards

> PS:
> i tried to extract as root and have plenty of diskspace.

Infomix 9.4 install on redhat

Post by Colin Bul » Sat, 31 May 2003 00:04:27

You probably need to use a redirection sign for cpio as in
cpio -idvm < IDS.cpio

Colin Bull

Post by Jack Parke » Sat, 31 May 2003 01:23:10

cpio -idvF IDS.cpio

cheers
j.

> have a problem installing infomix on redhat,
> i've downloaded the (linux) zip file from iiug.org and unzipped it on the
> machine with the unzip command.
> when the unzip operation finnishes, i get a cpio archive which i try
extract
> using --> cpio -idvm IDS.cpio
> but nothing happens, after w8ing a hour, i "killed" the operation, but am
> still not able to extract

> any idea what could cause the prob ?

> hope to hear soon
> regards

> PS:
> i tried to extract as root and have plenty of diskspace.

1. Informix 9.4 on Redhat 8.0

Anybody running informix 9.4 on linux? I was able to successfully
install and run informix, but every time I try to write anything to
the instance(create database etc), I receive an I/O error. Is there
anything extra I have to do to resolve this? Also, is there some
detailed documentation regarding informix on linux? The IBM web-site
seems woefully short on documentation. Thanks.

2. Equivalent of Direct Path Insert with nologging

3. Installing Informix 9.4 IDS on AIX Bombed out with this error

4. Save an ADO Recordset to file in Access 2000 mdb format

5. White paper (cheat sheet) for installing IDS 9.3 / 9.4 onto RH9

6. ado to dao

7. IDS 9.4 install on RED HAT 8.0

8. Data update

9. Installing IDS 9.4 on Suse-linux

10. Permission Error installing Informix 9.4 IDS on AIX 4.3.3

11. Informix 9.4 install failed

12. IDS 9.4 and Solaris 8

13. informix 9.4 question: PDQPRIORITY and user threads