D4GL text editing

Post by Colin M McGrat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dynamic 4GL Text Editing:

In classic 4GL, we made use of the DBEDIT environmental variable to
let the user choose which ASCII text editor (vi/pico/microemacs) to
use.  It seems that D4GL is not DBEDIT-aware.

We had to hardcode a program into the form's attribute fields for each
text field in each form.  But, we didn't have to hard code a specific
editor in the form.  We added the following to each forms' text field's
attrributes:   program=dbeditor

We create a shell script called dbeditor, that consists of the
lines:

DBEDIT=${DBEDIT:-vi}
<esc>[0y

<esc>[1y

The second line brings the unix terminal screen to the front (where <esc>
is ASCII(27))
The third line calls up the user's unix editor of choice (or vi).
The third line lowers the unix terminal screen when the editing session is done.

To make it work, this line must be in TERM's termcap entry:
        :hp=\E[0y:rp=\E[1y:

Is there a way to bring the text file we LOCATE via our 4GL program
over from our UNX box to the client PC and use a windows editor (winword?)
to display/add/edit the text and return it back to the Unix box to use
in the subsequent SQL add/update commands?

    | Raytheon Engineers & Constructors, Inc.        (215) 422-4144      |
    | Phila, PA, USA                                                     |
    | Any opinions I state are my own and not necessarily of my employer |

D4GL text editing

Post by Colin M McGrat » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Dynamic 4GL Text Editing:

> Is there a way to bring the text file we LOCATE via our 4GL program
> over from our UNX box to the client PC and use a windows editor (winword?)
> to display/add/edit the text and return it back to the Unix box to use
> in the subsequent SQL add/update commands?

I came up with a simple C function that grabs the temporary filename
that Informix assigns when you choose "LOCATE <my_rec.text_field> IN FILE".
With that, and the rcp command available in the WTK-Rlogin Terminal emulation
and the WinExecWait() function available when you include the fgl_init4js()
call, we can now get Unix files over to the local PC and bring up a
simple PC word processor.  We are making progress!

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Dynamic 4GL Text Editing:

> > Is there a way to bring the text file we LOCATE via our 4GL program
> > over from our UNX box to the client PC and use a windows editor (winword?)
> > to display/add/edit the text and return it back to the Unix box to use
> > in the subsequent SQL add/update commands?

> I came up with a simple C function that grabs the temporary filename
> that Informix assigns when you choose "LOCATE <my_rec.text_field> IN FILE".

It would most likely be easier to write an ESQL/C function to use
LOCUSER to do this rather than LOCFILE as the 4GL LOCATE IN FILE...
does.  Just a suggestion.

Art S. Kagel

1. Editing fields in D4GL

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C141BD.ED4C9CD0

I'm a new member of this group...I have a problem with editing =
fields..If user selects 'MODIFY RECORD' option, (input without defaults) =
any char he enters replaces the existing one..I know that pressing =
CTRL-A causes the insert mode instead of replacing but i think that it =
is not useful for user to press this in all modifiying operations..I =
dont know if there is an env.variable for this situation or not.

My system runs under ids 7.31,NT 4.0 with SP 4, D4GL 3.01

Thanks..

Sadi G=FCrsoy

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C141BD.ED4C9CD0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial TUR" size=3D2>I'm a new member of this =
group...I have a=20
problem with editing fields..If user selects 'MODIFY RECORD' option, =
(input=20
without defaults) any char he enters replaces the existing one..I know =
that=20
pressing CTRL-A causes the insert mode instead of replacing but i think =
that it=20
is not useful for user to press this in all modifiying operations..I =
dont know=20
if there is an env.variable for this situation or not.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial TUR" size=3D2>My system runs under ids 7.31,NT =
4.0 with SP=20
4, D4GL 3.01</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial TUR" size=3D2>Thanks..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial TUR" size=3D2>Sadi =
G=FCrsoy</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C141BD.ED4C9CD0--

2. Vb Connection to SQLServer

3. D4GL Text fields and Wordwrap - Still a problem

4. How do you insert/retrieve Date with JDBC?

5. D4GL Text fields and Wordwrap

6. Access Project - can't paste records

7. HOW TO EDIT TEXT WITHOUT ERASE REST OF THE TEXT

8. the sp_executesql syntax

9. D4gl HELP!!! Setting text colors with d4gl WTK client interface

10. edit/display data being shown as long text in sql enterprise manager

11. edit <Long Text> in results pane

12. Query Help - Editing Text in Long Description

13. Edit <Long Text>