SP Limitation of Constants for Subscripts

SP Limitation of Constants for Subscripts

Post by Red Valse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is there a workaround for the idiotic syntactic prohibition against
variables for subscripts in stored procedures?  I need to parse a string
that I get back from a cursor, but am stymied because of this
limitation.  My braindead approach would read the column into a
character-type variable, then loop through the string, evaluating each
index as required.

Alas.  Does Informix eat its own dog food?

Any alternate solutions would be greatly appreciated.

SP Limitation of Constants for Subscripts

Post by Sujit... » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Red

If you are using 7.31 (maybe also 7.30), there is a substr() function you can
use which functions just like a regular substr() function, and allows variables
as its arguments.

HTH
Sujit

cc:    (bcc: Sujit Pal)
Subject:  SP Limitation of Constants for Subscripts

Is there a workaround for the idiotic syntactic prohibition against
variables for subscripts in stored procedures?  I need to parse a string
that I get back from a cursor, but am stymied because of this
limitation.  My braindead approach would read the column into a
character-type variable, then loop through the string, evaluating each
index as required.

Alas.  Does Informix eat its own dog food?

Any alternate solutions would be greatly appreciated.

1. SQL 6.5 SP 5a Memory Limitation

I was told by a dba that there was a bug in the SQL 6.5 standard version of
1GB.   In order to get past that, I will need to install the enterprise
version.

I have 2GB machine and would like to increase the memory.  At the present

increase past the 1GB mark with the standard version.  I am on SP 5a.

Does anyone know about if this is a bug and if it was fixed in one of the
service paks?

2. => Populating a Data Sheet with a recordset

3. execute sp limitation, options?

4. AP On-line Activations

5. Varchar limitation in SP

6. Data type for URL

7. Limitation in SP?

8. SQL PLUS Question

9. SP 128 Column Limitation

10. Oracle SP column limitations?

11. SP:ExecContextHit,SP:CacheMiss,SP:CacheInsert

12. Error 9: subscript out of range

13. How to put Subscript ,Superscript,fractions (1/3,3/4,1/2) in sql