HELP! onbar restore problems - Unable to write restored data to the database: could not fork server connection.

HELP! onbar restore problems - Unable to write restored data to the database: could not fork server connection.

Post by netvigato » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 13:59:07

Help,

I cannot restore my database on another system. I get the following error.

Unable to write restored data to the database: could not fork server
connection.

Set up:
Sun 420R
Solaris 7
StorEdge D1000
Veritas Volume Manager 3.5
Informix IDS 7.31.UC2
Legator Networker 6.1.2

I can create the database and dbspaces and logs, and perform a backup and
restore on the system.
This also means that Informix can create chunks in the StorEdge disks.
But I cannot restore from an old backup.

I have checked the write permissions on Veritas, and the raw disks all have
informix owner and group with 0660 permission.
I can create a file system on the StorEdge and read and write to the file
system.

I have checked my sqlhosts, /etc/services, /etc/system, my ixbar and oncfg
are correct.
I even extracted the ixbar delete all the other backup entries on my ixbar
so that only the restore with the records
I want are in the ixbar file.
The Legato can mount and read the tape so all indexes are correct and it has
found the save set. It reads 955KB out of
27MB and the stops for a few minutes then the above error pops up and the
restore fails.
My hostname are the same.

The only difference seems to be that I have not connected to the LAN.

If anyone has encountered this problem, please reply. Needless to say, I'm
in deep ....

Thanks in advance.

HELP! onbar restore problems - Unable to write restored data to the database: could not fork server connection.

Post by Paul Watso » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 21:47:17

Up your ulimits for the login running the restore ???  You should
be getting an error number - if you're not then truss the restore
and look the error number prior to the fork message

--
Paul Watson             #
Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory

HELP! onbar restore problems - Unable to write restored data to the database: could not fork server connection.

Post by Bharadwaj R Inda » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:27

Hi ,

   I am using an ESQL function in my process to dynamically create a table. I am
sending the table name as a parameter to the function.

   bool createTable(const char* a_table_name)
   {
    $char   table_name[128];
    strcpy(table_name,a_table_name);
    $create table table_name ( ......)
    return true
    }

  The problem I have here is that it creates the table with the name "table_name"
instead of the one with the contents in table_name[] array. I tried doing

 $create table $table_name(....)

   But I get a compilation error.

 Any help me in this reagard is greatly appreciated.

  Thanks in advance
       -Bharad.

Post by Bharadwaj R Inda » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:22:56

[...]

Try executing a prepared statement.

--
---------------------------------------
Madison Pruet

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:25:41

> I am using an ESQL function in my process to dynamically create a table. I am
> sending the table name as a parameter to the function.

>    bool createTable(const char* a_table_name)
>    {
>     $char   table_name[128];
>     strcpy(table_name,a_table_name);
>     $create table table_name ( ......)
>     return true
>     }

If you want to reference a parameter such as table_name in the SQL,
then you need to prefix it with a dollar '$' (or a colon ':').

Quote:> The problem I have here is that it creates the table with the name "table_name"
> instead of the one with the contents in table_name[] array. I tried doing

>  $create table $table_name(....)

>    But I get a compilation error.

Yes.  There are places where you can put parameters, and there are
more places where you cannot.  Generally speaking, neither table names
nor column names can be specified by parameters.

Quote:>  Any help me in this reagard is greatly appreciated.

So, you need to convert the statement into a string and then use
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE to execute the statement:

$ char bigbuf[BIGBUFSIZE];
sprintf(bigbuf, "create table %s (...)", a_table_name);
$ execute immediate :bigbuf;

--
Jonathan Leffler                   #include <disclaimer.h>

Guardian of DBD::Informix 1.00.PC2 -- http://dbi.perl.org/

HELP! onbar restore problems - Unable to write restored data to the database: could not fork server connection.

Post by Eric Herbe » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 19:25:11

If this is a test system and you want to restore
from the production system I would first try
to initialize the informix databaseserver to see
if it gets up.

That means, modify your onconfig-file (adjust PHYSDBS to <rootdbs> and
minimize number and size of logical logs and buffers) and then try an
"oninit -i" to see if the engine is able comes up.

If that succeeds, change your onconfig-file back and try your restore
with onbar. You can set BAR_DEBUG to 9 and BAR_DEBUG_FILE  to get more
information if it still does not work.

I believe that the engine is not able to come up because something
is not properly configured (sqlhosts, /etc/services etc).

HTH.

Best regards

Eric
--
IT-Consulting Herber
www.herber-consulting.de

Quote:> Help,

> I cannot restore my database on another system. I get the following error.

> Unable to write restored data to the database: could not fork server
> connection.

> Set up:
> Sun 420R
> Solaris 7
> StorEdge D1000
> Veritas Volume Manager 3.5
> Informix IDS 7.31.UC2
> Legator Networker 6.1.2

> I can create the database and dbspaces and logs, and perform a backup and
> restore on the system.
> This also means that Informix can create chunks in the StorEdge disks.
> But I cannot restore from an old backup.

> I have checked the write permissions on Veritas, and the raw disks all
have
> informix owner and group with 0660 permission.
> I can create a file system on the StorEdge and read and write to the file
> system.

> I have checked my sqlhosts, /etc/services, /etc/system, my ixbar and oncfg
> are correct.
> I even extracted the ixbar delete all the other backup entries on my ixbar
> so that only the restore with the records
> I want are in the ixbar file.
> The Legato can mount and read the tape so all indexes are correct and it
has
> found the save set. It reads 955KB out of
> 27MB and the stops for a few minutes then the above error pops up and the
> restore fails.
> My hostname are the same.

> The only difference seems to be that I have not connected to the LAN.

> If anyone has encountered this problem, please reply. Needless to say, I'm
> in deep ....

> Thanks in advance.

1. Restore database error - unable to restore

I lost a bunch of records in one of my tables and would like to simply
restore the table from last night's backup.  I run a complete backup, one
every night at about 1am.

Perhaps there's a better way, but here's what I've tried:

1) I created a blank, dummy database called "dbrestore".

2) Using EM, I performed a Restore Database where I restored to the
dbrestore database from the production database's backups.  I selected
"database" for the restore option (as opposed to "filegroups or files" or
"from backup device")

3) I choose my latest backup from the "first backup to restore" drop down.
The latest one is then selected in the dialog below.

4) I click on the Options tab and "force restore over existing database"

5) "Ensure Leave database as operational" is checked

The error I get is:

Logical file "dbname_log" is not part of the database 'testrestore'.  Use
RESTORE FILELISTONLY to list the logical filenames. RESTORE DATABASE is
terminating abnormally.

Please help or give me a better solution.

_____
DC G

2. VB6 - 'Couldn't find installable ISAM'

3. Onbar Restore Error - Can't Restore Reserved Pages

4. VFP5.0: how to hide the icon bar?

5. onbar error - Unable to get storage space backup data from the database server

6. Application roles - any use ?

7. Restoring databases to another server from restored files

8. error handling

9. Urgent Restore problem with SQL Server's restore utility

10. Problem with Restore Table and Restore Database

11. Repost: ONBAR restore from disk - Objects not found

12. Oops - ONBAR restore from disk - Objects not found

13. ONBAR restore from disk - Objects not found