Question on moving Online from one machine to another

Question on moving Online from one machine to another

Post by Super-Use » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'd like to copy On-Line 7.24 from one Solaris machine ( 2.5.1 )
to another ( 2.6 ). I created an archive on the old machine
using ontape -s -L 0. I created an instance on the new machine
where all the chunks have the same name ( and are bigger then the
original chunks ) and all the other parameters are the same.
When I try the restore I get for rootdbs

Spaces to restore:1 [rootdbs           ]
Physical restore failed - Cannot warm restore ROOT DBspace

or for data dbspace

Spaces to restore:1 [ifmxdb1           ]
Physical restore failed - Bad log file configuration for log 1.

So, what am I missing here?
Thanks much

Question on moving Online from one machine to another

Post by Super-Use » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

duh. shortly after posting, it occured to me that shuting down
the instance would be a Very Good Thing and speed things along.
nevermind.

Quote:> I'd like to copy On-Line 7.24 from one Solaris machine ( 2.5.1 )
> to another ( 2.6 ). I created an archive on the old machine
> using ontape -s -L 0. I created an instance on the new machine
> where all the chunks have the same name ( and are bigger then the
> original chunks ) and all the other parameters are the same.
> When I try the restore I get for rootdbs

> Spaces to restore:1 [rootdbs           ]
> Physical restore failed - Cannot warm restore ROOT DBspace

> or for data dbspace

> Spaces to restore:1 [ifmxdb1           ]
> Physical restore failed - Bad log file configuration for log 1.

> So, what am I missing here?
> Thanks much

1. Moving a transaction log file from Machine A to Machine B - Questions

I have an idea I wanted to bounce off of you good people.

A client is upgrading from Informix 2.1 to 4.1.  The hardware platform is an
ALR 486/33.  They need to have little down time in case of a hardware failure
so a duplicate system is being configured.  These two systems will be attached
to each other via ethernet.  We will be using 4GL/RDS with the On-Line engine.
The upgrade has been ordered and should have been here yesterday but did not
show up & time is real tight.  Hence this posting.

I want do have machine A sne machine B its transaction log file on an hourly
basis or perhaps more frequent.  Then have machine B roll its data base up
to step with machine A.  This way in case of a failure, machine B can be
brought up with only a few minutes of down time.

It's been a while since I've worked on Informix.

Is there a way with the 4.1 On-Line I can tell it to start a new transaction
log file without interuppting operations?

I heard some place recently that On-Line 4.1 recommends many small transaction
log files as opossed to a few large transaction files.  But since I don't have
the new product yet - I have no manuals.

Any suggestions / comments are welcome!

Thanks,

---Scott

Scott Boake                                            Palantir Systems, Inc.

(813) 544-8152                                         Pinellas Park, FL 34665
--
----
Scott Boake                                            Palantir Systems, Inc.

(813) 544-8152                                         Pinellas Park, FL 34665

2. Informix Enterprise Replication

3. SQL 7.0 - Moving a database from one machine to another

4. New DDF Editor tool announced

5. moving a DSN from one machine to another?

6. conceptual design: ER-model: software tools wanted

7. Moving db from one remote machine to another

8. Daily task

9. moving baan from one machine to another

10. Moving a database from one machine to another

11. moving oracle from one unix to another unix machine

12. Procedure to move one oracle database to another machine

13. Moving database from one machine to another