DbExport space

Post by Joan Carles Cladella » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 Please, I need how to calculate the disk space needed for dbexport of one
 database. What's is the rule for calculate it??

 Thank`s in advance.

 Jcc.

DbExport space

Post by Isidre PONS ROC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

En Joan Carles Cladellas va escriure el dia  8 Jun 2000, a les 10:24:

Quote:

>  Please, I need how to calculate the disk space needed for dbexport of one
>  database. What's is the rule for calculate it??

>  Thank`s in advance.

>  Jcc.

Try:
        Select tabnane,nrows*rowsize tab_long
           from systables
           where tabid > 99
     union
     select "zTotal data",sum(nrows*rowsize) tab_long
                from systables
                where tabid > 99

I hope this help.

---------------------------------------
 Isidre PONS ROCA
 BASE - Gesti d'Ingressos Locals
 (Diputacio de Tarragona)
 Servei de Sistemes de Informacio
 Av President Lluis Companys 12-C
 43005 - Tarragona
 SPAIN
 Tel # +34 977 236731
 Fax # +34 977 227302
 http://www.altanet.org

---------------------------------------

DbExport space

Post by Wile E. Coyot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

> En Joan Carles Cladellas va escriure el dia  8 Jun 2000, a les 10:24:
> >  Please, I need how to calculate the disk space needed for dbexport of one
> >  database. What's is the rule for calculate it??

> Try:
>         Select tabnane,nrows*rowsize tab_long
>            from systables
>            where tabid > 99
>      union
>      select "zTotal data",sum(nrows*rowsize) tab_long
>                 from systables
>                 where tabid > 99

The problem in this calculation is, that you calculate with the
internal size
of the data types. Example:

        Integer -> 4 Byte, but in an ascii file the size is up to 9 chars
        date    -> 4 Byte, but in an ascii file the size is up to 10 chars

You also have to add an extra byte (Field Seperator) to your maximum
length.
My maximum calculation for an dbexport for each table is:

        FSUMLEN + Number of Fields + Number of Records
        FSUMLEN = Maximum length of field after conversion to string

It seems to be a lot of work, but sometimes it is worth it.
Wile

DbExport space

Post by Wile E. Coyot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>         FSUMLEN + Number of Fields + Number of Records

sorry, I wanted to say

        FSUMLEN + Number of Fields * Number of Records

Wile

DbExport space

Post by Vinod Bhansal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

select dbsname Database, round(sum(ti_nptotal)*2048/1024) KB_Allocated,
round(sum(ti_npused)*2048/1024) KB_Used
from systabnames, systabinfo
where ti_partnum = partnum and tabname not matches "TBLSpace"
group by 1
order by KB_Used desc

Vinod Bhansali

>Subject: DbExport space
>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:24:38 +0200

>  Please, I need how to calculate the disk space needed for dbexport of one
>  database. What's is the rule for calculate it??

>  Thank`s in advance.

>  Jcc.

1. Dbexport and file space?

I am UNIX system admin and I don't know anything about Informix,
but I have very strong ORACLE DBA experienced.  Today, I argue
with our INFORMIX DBA.  He ask me allocate at least 4GB free space for him
to do the "dbexport.  His reason base on Informix database already
take 4GB chunk.  Base on my ORACLE experience, export database take
less space than actual database take.  I mention to Informix DBA,
when FIRST time new project doing export, we always need "try and
error" several times to figure out how many space we need.  He
refuse to do that and ask me allocate  large space for him.  My
question are:

  1. how can we estimate how big space need for dbexport?

  2. is it possible we can compress files while dbexport
     (for example on ORACLE we can "exp file= aaa ...|compress)?

Thanks you for help.

2. Cross Compiler for dBASE

3. DBExport Failure -- Incorrectly states "Disk space may be ful

4. I Need the Embedded SQL Toolkit or the "NSQLPREP.EXE"

5. Lost in space/space lost, a space management problem

6. Oracle 8.04 External Prozedure Call

7. Oracle Free Space or Space used - DBA (now index space usage)

8. CD-ROM based DBMS

9. How go query Database Free Space or Used Space via T-SQL

10. Disk space - determining free disk space

11. 0.0 MB space available but server has space

12. Recapturing disk space from the transaction log after truncating the log space

13. unallocated space and unused space