Shareware like I-Net

Post by B.J. » Sat, 24 Sep 1994 07:09:47

Has anyone used/known of any shareware that allows PCs (running Visual Basics) to access the remote Informix database asynchronously (using SLIP or PPP).  We're trying to go away from I-Net because it requires run-time licenses.

Thanks

Shareware like I-Net

Post by Prakash Manghna » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 05:13:45

Quote:>>Has anyone used/known of any shareware that allows PCs (running Visual Basics) to >>access the remote Informix database asynchronously (using SLIP or PPP).  We're trying >>to go away from I-Net because it requires run-time licenses.

Check out dsql. It uses any WinSock compliant TCP implementation.
Dont know about Visual Basic. I have used it only from Visual C++, and it works fine.

Prakash

Shareware like I-Net

--
But where can I get dsql???? I've never heard of it.

Dirch

| Amt 10-3                               Tel. : +49 208 455 1006             |
| Stadtverwaltung                (snail-)Mail : Ruhrstr. 32                  |
| Muelheim an der Ruhr                          D-45468 Muelheim an der Ruhr |
|     Inspiration gave them the motivation to move on out their isolation    |

Shareware like I-Net

Post by Beta Computer » Sat, 08 Oct 1994 21:34:11

Hi,

Quote:>Check out dsql. It uses any WinSock compliant TCP implementation.
>Dont know about Visual Basic. I have used it only from Visual C++, and
>it works fine.

Where does one find dsql info , does anyone have and address , or it it
hiding on the net ?

Graham Twaddle
Technical Director
Beta Computers (Europe) Ltd

A friend in need is usually on the net !

Shareware like I-Net

Post by Center / » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 03:35:06

: A friend in need is usually on the net !

Veronica helped me find the package last night... What follows is
the README file. Looks promising, brought it over to my system
this AM.

Joel ------------------------------------------------------

                        DSQL - Distributed SQL
                             Version 3

            Scientific Computing Technology Development Group
                           Genentech, Inc.

DSQL is a simple client/server protocol to support remote access of SQL
databases.  DSQL was designed to be easy to implement, yet provide most
of the functionality needed to support distributed applications which
require access to centralized databases.  DSQL was designed in response
to a perceived need at Genentech to provide graphical front-ends on
Macintosh computers to our Informix relational databases running on
Unix servers.  As a result, the protocol is tailored to the execution
of simple SQL queries resulting in textual data.  Version 3 of the protocol
also supports creation and access to SQL cursors.

The DSQL protocol is simple to implement, easily portable across
platforms and architectures, but does not provide explicit support for
some of the "tough" issues in distributed databases such as
cross-machine joins, a transaction processing model, and an
architecture-neutral binary data format.  Version 3 of DSQL does
provide the client with access to host files, and a simple facility for
remote execution.  In addition to some limited access to
getting/setting environment variables on the host.

DSQL version 3 is distributed with 2 server implementations and four
client library implementations.  The API for the client libraries has
been standardized, and the client code is divided into portable and
architecture-specific portions.  Currently servers exist for
Unix/Informix and VMS/Oracle.  Client implemetations exist for Unix,
Macintosh, MS-DOS, and MS-Windows.  In addition, a set of Hypercard
XCMDs has been written allow use of the Macintosh DSQL client from
Hypercard.

DSQL is NOT public domain, although Genentech provides DSQL free-of-charge
and with no use restrictions.  DSQL may be obtained via anonymous ftp from
cgl.ucsf.edu (128.218.14.2).

                                Original Authors:
                                        David Mischel
                                        Scooter Morris
                                        Terry Oberzeir
                                        Kathryn Woods

                                Current DSQL Team:
                                        Jim Fitzgerald
                                        David Mischel
                                        Scooter Morris
                                        Terry Oberzier

                                VMS/Oracle support provided by:
                                        Dan Lamb

OH YEAH, the file name is 'dsql.3.tar.Z' and is in the /pub directory.

Shareware like I-Net

Post by Christoph Adome » Mon, 10 Oct 1994 22:48:12

Quote:>: A friend in need is usually on the net !
>Veronica helped me find the package last night... What follows is
>the README file. Looks promising, brought it over to my system
>this AM.
>Joel ------------------------------------------------------
>                    DSQL - Distributed SQL
>                         Version 3

Yes, it's nice and it works, but: It does not conform to any standards.
With an ODBC Driver you can use your Databases in Paradox, WordPerfect,
Access and whatever. With DSQL you can not. So for professional use it
does not make much sense.

Ciao
  Christoph
bigcomm-linux-box: free linux-files at first call. bbs login "guest" nuucp
login "nuucp" no password. Data: +49 211 3985258 request ~/filelist/allfiles.gz

Shareware like I-Net

Post by Mike McClusk » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 16:08:29

: > >>Has anyone used/known of any shareware that allows PCs (running Visual Basics) to >>access the remote Informix database asynchronously (using SLIP or PPP).  We're trying >>to go away from I-Net because it requires run-time licenses.

: > Check out dsql. It uses any WinSock compliant TCP implementation.
: > Dont know about Visual Basic. I have used it only from Visual C++, and it works fine.

: > Prakash

: --
: But where can I get dsql???? I've never heard of it.
: Dirch

Dirch,
   if u have access to it use 'archie' to find your nearest anonymous ftp
site. FYI my nearest one is 'ftp.ccu.edu.tw' (Taiwan) look in
/pub/database/dsql...although I suspect there should be one nearer to u
than Taiwan.

cheers
Mike

1. Visual Liking in .Net using TREE VIEW control

Hi Everyone,

i am looking for some samples in Visual linking using two tree views. I have
two tree view both side of the windows forms. i want to dynamically link the
letf item to right side items through graphical line using drag and Drop.
For example table linking in SQL or Access or Data Mapping in BizTalk
Server. i attached the sample Zip file . if you have any ideas or samples
about this pls mail me with details.

Adv. thanks.

Regards,

Govind.

2. USA-MD-Oracle FinApps DBA or Forms/Reports 6i Guru

3. INET unix -> INET unix

4. Script button

5. Paradox Report Sequencer ($) shareware on the net!

6. Queries related to performance tuning in IDS7.3.....

7. US-GA-.NET DEVELOPER WITH ORACLE FORMS VB.NET+ASP.NET

8. Informix ReOrg Scripts/Programs

9. Query slow over liked server

10. Counting the number of satisfied LIKES in a SELECT statement

11. Liked Server to SYBASE

12. Mulitiple LIKEs or IN?

13. Liked Server with insert trigers