DBMS matrix

Post by Jack Park » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

y'all

Back in October of 1993 an attempt at a matrix comparing Oracle/Informix/Sybase
and Ingres was done.  Has anybody taken a look at it since then?   On the
Informix side at least it's still taliing about 5.0

cheers
j.
Jack Parker - Hewlett Packard, DMD/IS Boise, Idaho, USA

                 "I'm with the IRS, I'm here to help you"
   Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employers.

DBMS matrix

Post by ri.. » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Back in October of 1993 an attempt at a matrix comparing

Oracle/Informix/Sybase
Quote:> and Ingres was done.  Has anybody taken a look at it since then?
On the
> Informix side at least it's still taliing about 5.0

> cheers
> j.

If you are wondering how Informix On-Line Version 7.x compares,
stick with 5.x

My company has been in the process of porting a suite of
applications (over 2,000,000 lines of 4GL/ESQL-C) from Informix 5.x
to 7.x for over a year. The first sticking point is a side effect of
several fatal differences between the Version 4.x and 6.x tools.
This caused recoding of near 500 4GL applications. The second, and
most irritating problem is that version 7.x is 20% slower than
version 5.x on the same machine. This is true for both single
processor and SMP platforms.

At first we were quite shocked since every report we had read
indicated 7.x was at least 50% faster than 5.x. After considerable
research we discovered that the reported performance gains came from
the fact the Informix finally fixed the query optimizer.

Nearly every Informix application will eventually fall into the
sequential search pit of 5.x if not religiously retuned on a regular
basis. Many users of 5.x never realized that they were getting only
a fraction of the expected performance from their 5.x applications.
It is easy to believe that the slow down is related to database
growth.

The optimizer fix of 7.x made those applications apparently run
faster without any changes. Unformtunately, they will run 20% slower
than they will under 5.x if you take the time to fiddle with the SQL
statements.

If you are running version 5.x and have hand optimized them, do not
upgrade to version 7.x. If you are contemplating a new project, then
buy version 7.x and increase your budget for a faster CPU.