INFORMIX ANNOUNCES APRIL DELIVERY OF PRODUCTS ON ALPHA AXP SYSTEMS

Post by William Da » Sun, 21 Mar 1993 05:49:04

INFORMIX ANNOUNCES APRIL DELIVERY OF PRODUCTS ON ALPHA AXP SYSTEMS

64-Bit Architecture, Robust, High-Performance Database Products Provide Users
With Unlimited Computing Possibilities

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (March 17, 1993)  Informix Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:IFMX)
and Digital Equipment Corporation today announced the Informix family of
database software products will be available in April,1993 on Digital's family
of Alpha AXP computers and the DEC OSF/1 for AXP operating system.

Alpha AXP, introduced in November, 1992, is based on the first advanced 64-bit
architecture and provides a universal platform for enabling unlimited open
computing possibilities.  The availability of Informix database software
products on the new platform will allow users take advantage of a wider spectrum
of database computing applications.

"Informix has led the industry in providing information management products on
open systems.  We are underscoring that commitment by bringing our products to
Digital's open, universal computing environment," said Gilbert Wai, vice
president, Informix Software.  "The combination of the Alpha AXP and our
database products will produce significant gains for users in the areas of
productivity, capability and performance."

"Informix was one of the first major database companies to announce its support
of the new Alpha AXP architecture and we are pleased that it has backed that
early commitment with early delivery of its leading database products," said
William Demmer, vice president, Computer Systems Group, Digital Equipment
Corporation.

The Alpha AXP universal platform offers a choice of three open software
environments, a choice of open standards, and a choice of hardware and network
interconnects.  The platform also includes a family of Alpha AXP systems ranging
from powerful desktop workstations to mainframe-class servers, and a
comprehensive software suite of language tools and utilities.
Informix products available on Alpha AXP will include:

-  INFORMIX(-OnLine, a high-performance, mainframe-caliber server with online
   transaction processing (OLTP) and multimedia capabilities;

-  INFORMIX-STAR, a distributed database software for manipulating multiple
   databases;

-  INFORMIX-SE, a  SQL-based server for small to medium range applications;

-  INFORMIX-NET, a connectivity software for client/server applications;

-  INFORMIX-TP/XA, an OnLine companion product that links INFORMIX-OnLine to
   any X/Open-compliant transaction manager;

-  C-ISAM, an X-Open-compliant library of C functions for creating indexed
   sequential files.

-  INFORMIX-4GL Family, the leading UNIX-based fourth generation language and
   programming tools for rapid application development;

-  INFORMIX-SQL, an integrated tools suite that provides speed, power and
   security required in large and small database applications; and

-  INFORMIX-ESQL/C, a tool that enables developers to embed SQL database
   commands into C.

About Digital
Digital Equipment Corporation, headquartered in Maynard, Massachusetts, is the
leading worldwide supplier of networked computer systems, software, and
services.  Digital pioneered and leads the industry in interactive, distributed,
and multivendor computing.  Digital and its business partners deliver the power
to use the best integrated solution -- from desktop to data center -- in open
information environments.

About Informix
Informix Software, Inc., is a leading supplier of information management
software providing solutions from the database through the desktop.  Informix
products include powerful distributed database management systems, robust
application development tools and graphical- and character-based productivity
software for delivering information to every significant desktop platform.  With
corporate headquarters in Menlo Park, Calif., Informix has European headquarters
in London, and Asia/Pacific headquarters in Singapore.
#  #  #
--

INFORMIX OPENS EUROPEAN SOFTWARE CENTER
IN DUBLIN, IRELAND

MENLO PARK, Calif., (March 17, 1993)   Informix Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:IFMX)
today announced that it has signed an agreement with the Industrial Development
Authority of Ireland (IDA) to establish a European software center in Ireland.
The new operation will be responsible for Informix's European software
development, production, and distribution.

"The opening of this new software center illustrates our commitment to the
European market,"  said Phil White, Chairman & CEO, Informix. "Centralization of
our European R&D efforts will not only  allow us to continue our growth in this
important market, but will provide a significant boost to Ireland's economy."

Informix's revenue in Europe grew 71 percent last year and accounted for 42
percent of the company's $284 million 1992 earnings.  In addition to the new
software center in Ireland, Informix has 15 offices in 12 countries, managed by
11 European subsidiaries, and a large network of distributors throughout
Europe.

Informix products include the company's high-performance online transaction
processing (OLTP) database server, INFORMIX-OnLine; and the INFORMIX-4GL, family
of application development tools.

About Informix
Informix Software, Inc., is a leading supplier of information management
software providing solutions from the database through the desktop.  Informix
products include powerful distributed database management systems, robust
application development tools and graphical- and character-based productivity
software for delivering information to every significant desktop platform.  With
corporate headquarters in Menlo Park, Calif., Informix has European headquarters
in London, and Asia/Pacific headquarters in Singapore.
#  #  #
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 William Daul             Advanced Support      INFORMIX SOFTWARE INC.

Post by Bill Foo » Mon, 22 Mar 1993 11:24:48

>64-Bit Architecture, Robust, High-Performance Database Products Provide Users
>With Unlimited Computing Possibilities

      ^^^^^^^^^

Methinks that marketing has skewed the definition of "infinity" slightly
here...

Motto:  Never Trust A Sentence Where Each Word Is Capatalized.
--

PDS Corp, Los Angeles, CA  USA                          uunet!promdist!bill