How does remote client connect to 5.10 online server

How does remote client connect to 5.10 online server

Post by Jubal Kohlmei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm a seasoned Online 7.x veteran, but I've been asked to work with, ahem,
online 5.10. All my training on 7.x seems not to pan out on 5.10. I've
been able to connect locally using dbaccess, I'm trying to connect 5.10
Online server, remotely using dbaccess. I believe I
need I-NET to make this happen, but unfortunately I don't have any
manuals(for 5.X) I-NET, which can aid me. So my humble questions are..

1. Does I-NET have it to be installed on client
as well as on server, or client alone?

2. We've modified /etc/services, /etc/hosts.equiv,.. the network
related system files, with no effect.
(We found no $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts; Is it used by 5.X?)

3. We tried 5.x DBPATH, SQLEXEC, DBNETTYPE, SQLRM, SQLRMDIR with little effect.
Any clue to what missing environment variables we need on client
as well as server side?

TIA, one stuck, frustrated engineer.

Post by Art S. Kage » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm a seasoned Online 7.x veteran, but I've been asked to work with, ahem,
> online 5.10. All my training on 7.x seems not to pan out on 5.10. I've
> been able to connect locally using dbaccess, I'm trying to connect 5.10
> Online server, remotely using dbaccess. I believe I
> need I-NET to make this happen, but unfortunately I don't have any
> manuals(for 5.X) I-NET, which can aid me. So my humble questions are..

> 1. Does I-NET have it to be installed on client
> as well as on server, or client alone?

> 2. We've modified /etc/services, /etc/hosts.equiv,.. the network
> related system files, with no effect.
> (We found no $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts; Is it used by 5.X?)

> 3. We tried 5.x DBPATH, SQLEXEC, DBNETTYPE, SQLRM, SQLRMDIR with little effect.
> Any clue to what missing environment variables we need on client
> as well as server side?

You need I-Net or I-Connect or I-Star on the client and I-Star V5.10 on
the server.  I-Star provides the network listener, sqlexecd, and
overwrites the sqlturbo process with one that recognizes network
connections and knows how to respond.  If you have the file
$INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlexecd and $INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlexecd -V and
$INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlturbo -V return the same serial numbers then you
have I-Star installed properly.  If it is installed, is the listener
running?  Do 'ps -ef|fgrep sqlexecd' to check if the sqlexecd is not
running start it off with the servers' service name (last column in
$INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts) as its first command line argument
(optionally append '-l logfilepath') as root with the proper environment
variables set (ie INFORMIXDIR, PATH, SQLEXEC, DBPATH, etc).

BTW: dbaccess will not run on the client just by copying it there it
needs message files and the sqlhosts file, etc.

Art S. Kagel

1. OnLine 5.10 w/CSDK & ESQL 5.10

A while back I asked about running D4GL with OnLine 5.10 and CSDK.
Art and Jonathan pointed out that I-STAR would be needed with that
mix of products when the ESQL/C version is above 5.10.

But Jonathan also wrote that:

Has anyone succeeded with this technique?  Any ideas how I'd go about it?

--

Washington Group International, Inc.         (215) 422-4144
Philadelphia, PA, USA

2. Help: How to insert binary data into Oracle via JDBC?

3. Fail Consistency Check AIX & Informix Online 5.10

4. Printing portal

5. Online 5.10 and JDBC connectivity problems

6. Help! ADODB Connection error 800a0e78

7. D4GL 3.0 & OnLine 5.10

8. Timezone

9. I-STAR, OnLine 5.10 & ODBC Question

10. VB and Online 5.10