Install 4GLRT without shutting down informix Instance.

Post by Jonathan Leffle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Platforms: Unix  HP-UX 10.20 . AIX 4.2 and NCR- 302
> online Instance 724 and 723

> I  am looking for a way to install a new version of Informix 4GLrt  RUN TIME
> at  about 6000 instances remotely.
> Is any one have done an hot install i.e., when Informix Instance is up and
> running. if yes how and what do I need to do differently to install 4glrt.
> (I don't want to shut the Informix engine down to install Informix 4GLrt run
> time).

Maybe you should check out the code in utils_jl in the IIUG software
archive (http://www.iiug.org).  I'd install the I4GL/RT files into some
spare disk space (eg /tmp/i4gl-rt).  I'd then use the ixremove command to
remove any pre-existing I4GL RT files (which are not also used by other
products) from under your main $INFORMIXDIR.  Finally, I'd use the ixcreate
command to copy selected files from the /tmp/i4gl-rt area into the main
$INFORMIXDIR.

Yours,

Guardian of DBD::Informix v0.60 (v0.61_02) -- http://www.perl.com/CPAN
Informix IDN for D4GL & Linux -- http://www.informix.com/idn

1. Restarting Oracle after shutting down UNIX without shutting down Oracle first

Hello

I have been given the task of getting an Oracle database started after the
UNIX server was shutdown without shutting down Oracle first. I have no DBA
experience with Oracle at all, and come from an MS background so all this is
new to me.

Anyway, the documentation suggests that I do the following:

    sqlplus /nolog
    connect username/password as sysdba
    STARTUP database_name

However, I always get an error when using the connect command to connect as
sysdba. The error is ORA-01031L insufficient privileges. I have used the sys
username and password that I have been given and still get this error. In
fact I get the same error even if I put in a junk username/password that
does not exist.

I know this could suggest that the sys password may be incorrect, however I
am told that it is correct, and since it does not tell me that the password
is incorrect, it may be that I need to choose some other kind of username
rather than sys for example.

Please can anyone help me get going on this?

I am basically trying to get Oracle up and running as it was before the
server was shutdown, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nick

2. what is the best Linux filesystem for Oracle?

3. Shutting down NT without first shutting down the VME (D3)

4. Date problem

5. taking very long for the instance to shut down

6. triggers and last record modified

7. Shutting down instance from remote machine

8. FM Server on linux

9. Instance won't shut down to quiescent

10. Killing Processes WITHOUT Shutting Down The Database

11. How do I backup SQL DB without shutting down the server

12. Server keeps shutting down without errors?!!

13. alter database without shutting down !?