continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ...

continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ...

Post by ANTS » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>  Can't you kili it earlier (say every 6 hours and restart it.
>  Or course you have to move the 'full tape' i.e. 2Gb disk file out
>  of the way first or else it gets overwritten. (The other reason why
>  Informix don't like supporting untape to disk.

If I'm using tape and it got filled and prompted "mount a new tape" and I
hit ENTER what will happend, the content will be overwritten?? So It's the
same, informix didnt support this very well? Or am I wrong?

Quote:

>  Infromix:  "Or you overwrote it..well tough you can't rollforward"
>  User:      "Informix is crap!"
>  Informix   "(**&^%*&^%!!!"

>>any ideas on solving this one?

>>thanks,
>>Glenn Travis
>>Sr. DBA
>>Circuit City / Divx

>>Informix 7.23uc9
>>Sun solaris 2.5

>--
>David Williams

>Maintainer of the Informix FAQ
> Primary site (Beta Version)  http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk
> Official site                http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/faq_top.html

>I see you standin', Standin' on your own, It's such a lonely place for you,
For
>you to be If you need a shoulder, Or if you need a friend, I'll be here
>standing, Until the bitter end...
>So don't chastise me Or think I, I mean you harm...
>All I ever wanted Was for you To know that I care

continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ...

Post by ANTS » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>  Can't you kili it earlier (say every 6 hours and restart it.
>  Or course you have to move the 'full tape' i.e. 2Gb disk file out
>  of the way first or else it gets overwritten. (The other reason why
>  Informix don't like supporting untape to disk.

If I'm using tape and it got filled and prompted "mount a new tape" and I
hit ENTER what will happend, the content will be overwritten?? So It's the
same, informix didnt support this very well? Or am I wrong?

Quote:

>  Infromix:  "Or you overwrote it..well tough you can't rollforward"
>  User:      "Informix is crap!"
>  Informix   "(**&^%*&^%!!!"

>>any ideas on solving this one?

>>thanks,
>>Glenn Travis
>>Sr. DBA
>>Circuit City / Divx

>>Informix 7.23uc9
>>Sun solaris 2.5

>--
>David Williams

>Maintainer of the Informix FAQ
> Primary site (Beta Version)  http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk
> Official site                http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/faq_top.html

>I see you standin', Standin' on your own, It's such a lonely place for you,
For
>you to be If you need a shoulder, Or if you need a friend, I'll be here
>standing, Until the bitter end...
>So don't chastise me Or think I, I mean you harm...
>All I ever wanted Was for you To know that I care

continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ...

Post by David William » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

writes

Quote:

>>  Can't you kili it earlier (say every 6 hours and restart it.
>>  Or course you have to move the 'full tape' i.e. 2Gb disk file out
>>  of the way first or else it gets overwritten. (The other reason why
>>  Informix don't like supporting untape to disk.

>If I'm using tape and it got filled and prompted "mount a new tape" and I
>hit ENTER what will happend, the content will be overwritten?? So It's the
>same, informix didnt support this very well? Or am I wrong?

  Yes, but people tend to find changing tapes easy.

  Move disk files around or changing links tends to be more error-prone.

Quote:

>>  Infromix:  "Or you overwrote it..well tough you can't rollforward"
>>  User:      "Informix is crap!"
>>  Informix   "(**&^%*&^%!!!"

>>>any ideas on solving this one?

>>>thanks,
>>>Glenn Travis
>>>Sr. DBA
>>>Circuit City / Divx

>>>Informix 7.23uc9
>>>Sun solaris 2.5

>>--
>>David Williams

>>Maintainer of the Informix FAQ
>> Primary site (Beta Version)  http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk
>> Official site                http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/faq_top.html

>>I see you standin', Standin' on your own, It's such a lonely place for you,
>For
>>you to be If you need a shoulder, Or if you need a friend, I'll be here
>>standing, Until the bitter end...
>>So don't chastise me Or think I, I mean you harm...
>>All I ever wanted Was for you To know that I care

--
David Williams

Maintainer of the Informix FAQ
 Primary site (Beta Version)  http://www.smooth1.demon.co.uk
 Official site                http://www.iiug.org/techinfo/faq/faq_top.html

I see you standin', Standin' on your own, It's such a lonely place for you, For
you to be If you need a shoulder, Or if you need a friend, I'll be here
standing, Until the bitter end...
So don't chastise me Or think I, I mean you harm...
All I ever wanted Was for you To know that I care

continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ...

Post by Gerard Gerritse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

1. continuous log backup to disk (ontape -c) ... again

I am wanting to run continuous log backups to disk and have been successful
in laying out the initital strategy;

. full backup (ontape -s -L 0) nightly
. then start a script to the log backup in the background;
    ontape -c <<EOF >ontape.c.log
    ^M
    EOF
. kill the ontape -c script before running the next backup.
. backup the log file (LTAPEDEV).  (move or rename or delete, then touch a
new one).
. restart script (ontape -c) in background.

This works fine EXCEPT when the LTAPESIZE is reached by the background
ontape -c process.
Since this process is running unattended in the background (we passed the
RETURN ^M character to initiate), the next prompt to mount a new LTAPEDEV
(in this case a filename), spins out of control, filling the ontape.c.log
logfile.  (I use the output in this logfile to get the log file numbers
which were backed up).  If the size of LTAPEDEV is reached before the
process is killed prior to the nightly backup, the scripts loops, asking for
a new file, eventually filling up disk space.

I know you are going to suggest making LTAPEDEV large enough to hold all the
logs for the day.  Well, 2gb is the limit and sometimes we reach that.  So,
I want it to wait until I back it up and touch a new one.  I don't want it
to keep asking for a new file.  Why does it think I've entered a return to
the prompt, when I only passed one return character to the ontape -c
command?

any ideas on solving this one?

thanks,
Glenn Travis
Sr. DBA
Circuit City / Divx

Informix 7.23uc9
Sun solaris 2.5

2. SQL Server 7.0 - features list?

3. Continuous Log Backup to Disk

4. paradox vs. access

5. ontape -a log backup to disk

6. SQLServer2000 Problem with two NIC

7. Ontape/ logical log backup to disk

8. Help - ADO in Delphi 5 with MSSQL Server 7 backend problem.

9. replaying continuous logs from ontape

10. Continuous log backup in the background

11. Continuous backup of logical logs

12. Continuous Log Backup

13. ONTAPE backup on disk: limit of 2Gb