hanging while loading rows???

Post by Jon Drukm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i'm running Informix on SGI IRIX 5.3 and i've just started to encounter a
weird problems since i made my production system public (of course).

basically, dbaccess completely hangs when loading a row from a file.  it's
a short file, with only about 8 columns (one of which is a slightly large
text field but other than that, totally ordinary).

is there something in the config file that i can adjust that might affect
this or is this just bug city?  all other operations seem to complete
quickly.

-jon

hanging while loading rows???

Post by Mark D Stoc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i'm running Informix on SGI IRIX 5.3 and i've just started to encounter a
> weird problems since i made my production system public (of course).

> basically, dbaccess completely hangs when loading a row from a file.  it's
> a short file, with only about 8 columns (one of which is a slightly large
> text field but other than that, totally ordinary).

> is there something in the config file that i can adjust that might affect
> this or is this just bug city?  all other operations seem to complete
> quickly.

> -jon

You don't say which engine you are running, but if it is OnLine then
are the logical logs full? How large is 'slightly large'?

Cheers,
--

Mark.

|Mark D. Stock - The West Solutions Group           http://www.west.co.za |
|                                                                         |

|Tel:   +27 11 803 2151  |If it doesn't work... force it!                 |
|Fax:   +27 11 803 2189  |If it breaks... it needed replacing anyway!     |
|Cell:  +27 83 250 2325  |Well, that's how I code anyway!                 |
+------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

hanging while loading rows???

Post by Mike Sege » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i'm running Informix on SGI IRIX 5.3 and i've just started to encounter a
> weird problems since i made my production system public (of course).

[SNIP]

Well, you said it started to hang when you made it public?

How many hits is this table taking? Is it static or dynamic?
Does your front end code lock the table at any time?

Mark mentioned about logical logs? Doing a load statement from
DBACCESS is a single transaction so if you are using ONLINE,
that could have some ill effects?

-Mikey

hanging while loading rows???

Post by Mark D Sto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > You don't say which engine you are running, but if it is OnLine then
> > are the logical logs full? How large is 'slightly large'?

> i'm running online.  slightly large is < 2K

> if the logical logs are full
> a) how do i tell and
> b) how do i empty them?

Up to version 7.10.UC1 you can use 'onstat -l' to list the logs and their usage. If you
are using version 5.xx or older, then use 'tbstat -l'. From version 7.10.UD1 you have to
look in the sysmaster database at a table called syslogs (I think). The log usage is not
updated for onstat anymore, but syslogs has the actual usage.

To back them up, check your tape device in onmonitor (tbmonitor). Then use 'ontape -a'
to backup all full logs, or 'tbtape -a' for version 5.xx and older. If you use a tape
device of '/dev/null' the logs will 'disappear', so I suspect you have a device defined.

Up to version 7.1x.xx you can still use the 'tb' commands which are just links to the
'on' commands.

Hope this helps,
--

Mark.

|Mark D. Stock - The West Solutions Group           http://www.west.co.za |
|                                                                         |

|Tel:   +27 11 803 2151  |If it doesn't work... force it!                 |
|Fax:   +27 11 803 2189  |If it breaks... it needed replacing anyway!     |
|Cell:  +27 83 250 2325  |Well, that's how I code anyway!                 |
+------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

1. DTS bulk load hangs then fails

I using bulk load to import a text file into a database. This file contains
2.3 million records and has a row length of 470 bytes (characters?). Anyhow,
I created the package on my laptop running SQL Server 2000 sp3, imported
just fine and took about 30 minutes. I then saved it as a structured file,
and copied it to a server of mine that is a 4 way 700mhz Xeon w/ 8 gigs of
RAM. I opened the .dts file and saved it as a SQL Server file. I then tried
to execute the package and it gets to 93,000 rows and then just sits there
while the mmc.exe goes nuts in Task Manager with CPU up to 50% and memory up
to 120MB. Finally after about 25 minutes it errors out with task unable to
complete.

I searched the KB and found something about DTS hanging on bulk insert that
was supposedly fixed in sp2, but these machines are running sp3. I have
tried this out on 2 different servers, both running sp3 and I get the same
results. Right now I am running it with a log and insert batch set to 1 and
it is taking forever.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?? I actually discarded the original
package and created a brand new one on the server and it does the same
thing. I am getting desperate here. This is for a project that is due quick
and I don't know what else to do here.

Thanks for your help!

Frank

2. ---SQL Tunning Question

3. Failed restore hung in load state

4. bug? to_char(DATE,'ddmmyyyy')=00000000 ???

5. Help - SQL Server hangs trying to load a DLL

6. OLAP Server

7. Load of MSSQL 6.5 hangs with a login failure

8. Perf Mon Error

9. Form Load hangs...

10. Paradoxwin 5 Hangs when loading

11. Hang during load of Btrieve for DOS 5.10a

12. Pervasive 2000 hangs with load increase

13. ADOMD Cellset.Open Hangs on Load