Onbar Backup/Restore

Post by DIDA » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:27:02

we have decided to stop logical logs, putting LTAPEDEV to /dev/null
backups are good but restores fail.  we do not want to use onbar -b -w option
due to single thread.  pushing database to 6 drive tape library via Veritas
Datacenter.

Any suggestions, Please reply

Thanks, Kelly

Onbar Backup/Restore

Post by David William » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:37:48

>we have decided to stop logical logs, putting LTAPEDEV to /dev/null
>backups are good but restores fail.  we do not want to use onbar -b -w option
>due to single thread.  pushing database to 6 drive tape library via Veritas
>Datacenter.

>Any suggestions, Please reply

>Thanks, Kelly

  What errors do you get with the restore?
  How exactly do you restore?

--
David Williams

Onbar Backup/Restore

Post by DIDA » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 12:00:13

We checked with Informix and they stated "You CANNOT restore the database
without some logs without the -w option.  The bar_act.log just complained about
not being able to retrieve log xxx for the storage mgr.
INFX suggested to turn logging back on, get a few logs backed up to whatever
then do a point in time restore.
This failed to our goal!
We backed up to say log 5, simulated log backups (onmode -l and onmode -c)On
the restore it salvaged the current log say 20 and restored to that point.

We then did onbar -b -L 0   (log 5)
onmode -l/onmode -c  (to log 20)
onbar -r -p
onbar -r -l -n 5
It worked to our plan

Any ideas for improvement? We would love to hear it!

Thanks, Kelly

Onbar Backup/Restore

Post by Tsutomu Ogiwar » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:38:19

Hi DIDAS.

I also did a similar experience.
Plase try this following command.

1. onbar -b -L 0
2. onbar -r
3. onmode -m (please see following messages)
Tue Dec 19 16:52:09 2000

16:52:09  Event alarms enabled.  ALARMPROG =
'/informix/IIF2000/9.21.UC1-1/etc/l
og_full.sh'
16:52:09  Booting Language <c> from module <>
16:52:09  Booting Language <builtin> from module <>
16:52:14  Informix Dynamic Server 2000 Version 9.21.UC1     Software
Serial Numb
er AAC#J902091
16:52:14  Informix Dynamic Server 2000 Initialized -- Shared Memory
Initialized.

16:52:14  Dataskip is now OFF for all dbspaces
16:52:14  Recovery Mode
16:52:15  Physical Restore of rootdbs started.

16:52:31  Dynamically allocated new virtual shared memory segment (size
8192KB)
16:52:31  Checkpoint Completed:  duration was 0 seconds.
16:52:31  Checkpoint loguniq 4, logpos 0x2c1550

16:52:31  Physical Restore of rootdbs Completed.
16:52:31  Checkpoint Completed:  duration was 0 seconds.
16:52:31  Checkpoint loguniq 4, logpos 0x2c1550

16:56:18  Physical Recovery Started.
16:56:18  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.

16:56:18  Logical Recovery Started.
16:56:18  10 recovery worker threads will be started.
16:56:20  Logical Recovery Complete.
          0 Committed, 0 Rolled Back, 0 Open, 0 Bad Locks

16:56:21  Bringing system to On-Line Mode with no Logical Restore.

16:56:22  On-Line Mode

Quote:> We checked with Informix and they stated "You CANNOT restore the
database
> without some logs without the -w option.  The bar_act.log just
complained about
> not being able to retrieve log xxx for the storage mgr.
> INFX suggested to turn logging back on, get a few logs backed up to
whatever
> then do a point in time restore.
> This failed to our goal!
> We backed up to say log 5, simulated log backups (onmode -l and
onmode -c)On
> the restore it salvaged the current log say 20 and restored to that
point.

> We then did onbar -b -L 0   (log 5)
> onmode -l/onmode -c  (to log 20)
> onbar -r -p
> onbar -r -l -n 5
> It worked to our plan

> Any ideas for improvement? We would love to hear it!

> Thanks, Kelly

Regards.
--
Tsutomu Ogiwara From Japan.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Onbar Backup/Restore

Post by Doug McAlliste » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:00:39

I suggest that if you do not want a database to generate log records
then you change the db to unlogged but leave the ltapedev set something
other than /dev/null. You need to log other things beside user db stuff.
You will then be able to do a point-in-time restore on your db but will
just have no logical-logs to roll forward unless you have made ddl-type
changes.

I do this exact thing and do parallel backup threads by doing onbar -b
-L 0.
My point-in-time restore then works with no problems.

> we have decided to stop logical logs, putting LTAPEDEV to /dev/null
> backups are good but restores fail.  we do not want to use onbar -b -w option
> due to single thread.  pushing database to 6 drive tape library via Veritas
> Datacenter.

> Any suggestions, Please reply

> Thanks, Kelly

1. Informix onbar backup/restore with Veritas NetBackup

Hi,

the installation is the following:

AIX 4.3.3
Informix 7.31
NetBackup 4.5 Informix client on AIX machine

NetBackup 4.5 Backup server/Media Server on Windows 2000

Problem:
The NetBackup documentation says that int htis case the restore has to be
started from the client (= AIX machine).
Q: How can I select which version of several generations I want to restore?

The NetBackup documentation refers to a "bplist" command and its man pages
Q: On a client only machine no NetBackup man pages are installed. How do I
know what the 27 flags of bplist mean?

Has someone a running configuration like this and can give me some hints?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Helmut Leininger
Bull AG Austria

2. .DBC

3. ONBAR Backup-restore issue.....

4. Restoring a DB on a scheduled basis

5. ONBAR backup/restore between two servers

6. ADO AND SQLSERVER 6.5

7. onbar restore to alternate client from a parallel backup failed

8. Relationships on Repeating Fields

9. Restore ONBAR backup to a different host using ADSM

10. ONBAR (backup and restore)

11. Onbar Restore Error - Can't Restore Reserved Pages

12. onbar with 7.24 -- Log file backup after backup.

13. Clarification of Onbar RESTARTABLE RESTORE issue....