Moving Informix from SCO UNIX to Dell UNIX

Moving Informix from SCO UNIX to Dell UNIX

Post by Peter Mil » Mon, 02 Mar 1992 21:33:33

A company which I consult for currently runs several Informix
products (ESQL/4GL/SE/NET/ONLINE) under SCO UNIX v3.2.2 with
SCO NFS and SCO TCP/IP.

For various reasons, they are considering dumping SCO and switching
to a System V Release 4 UNIX, such as Dell.

The question is, will they be able to directly use the Informix
products (which are all version 4.0 or 4.1) on the Dell platform,
without having to "upgrade" -- ie are the binaries and libraries
compatible (or could they be converted)?

(I don't think the company has maintenance with Informix).

                -- Pete
--

                                ...uknet!dircon!uaa1006

Post by Bill Engla » Fri, 13 Mar 1992 08:19:14

>The question is, will they be able to directly use the Informix
>products (which are all version 4.0 or 4.1) on the Dell platform,
>without having to "upgrade" -- ie are the binaries and libraries
>compatible (or could they be converted)?

>(I don't think the company has maintenance with Informix).

>                -- Pete
>--

  Well when we moved an applcation from SCO Unix 3.2.2 to
  Esix SysV 4.0 all of the apps started leaving little
  core dumps when they terminated, no errors just cores
  when the program terminiated normally.

  This happened with sql and fglgo and even embeded C-sql
  programs.  I never did see the problem resolved but, that
  was a year ago and I've been working in different Unix
  environments since.  Perhaps if we had used the 486
  Informix versions it would have worked better?

--

 |   * *      H -> He +24MeV                                                |
 |  * * * ... Oooo, we're having so much fun making itty bitty suns *       |