Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Billy Wheele » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> [snip for brevity - (more chest-beating and
> complete Informix customer list removed)]

That's _really_ low, even for an Oracle employee.

Anyway, it's pretty damn odd that Oracle's posts of a similar nature
are not considered "chest-beating" (by an Oracle employee.)

Still, it's must be nice for Informix marketing to know that the Oracle
people who read this group are sufficiently paranoid to make such
juvenile posts about "chest-beating". It must mean that they're worried
that it might be true...

Affectionately yours,

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by David Sidwel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Billy,

Quote:>> [snip for brevity - (more chest-beating and
>> complete Informix customer list removed)]
>That's _really_ low, even for an Oracle employee.
>Anyway, it's pretty damn odd that Oracle's posts of a similar nature
>are not considered "chest-beating" (by an Oracle employee.)

They're not considered "chest-beating" ????? What makes you so sure ?

Benchmarking is a game of leap-frogging - whoever has the higher numbers
*at that time* will engage in a spot of chest-beating.  Isn't it rather
strange that you do not recognise this trait ?

Quote:>Still, it's must be nice for Informix marketing to know that the Oracle
>people who read this group are sufficiently paranoid to make such
>juvenile posts about "chest-beating". It must mean that they're worried
>that it might be true...

Paranoid ? No, I know they're out to get me :)

Worried, with an ever increasing market lead ? I don't think so.

Isn't it *ever* so strange that you failed to comment on the reason for my post
in the first place - to set the record straight about relative costs.  The post
I responded to appeared to have a blatant lie regarding cost of the Oracle
system vs. the cost of the informix one. Hence my post.

Still judging by your previous posts, I shouldn't be surprised when you ignore
the obvious valid points and only carp on the editing I performed to reduce
bandwidth.

Quote:>Affectionately yours,

Right back at you.
                                               Regards,

                                                   David Sidwell.

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Dave Watso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Isn't it *ever* so strange that you failed to comment on the reason for my post
> in the first place - to set the record straight about relative costs.  The post
> I responded to appeared to have a blatant lie regarding cost of the Oracle
> system vs. the cost of the informix one. Hence my post.

FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
storage, service and warranty) used in Oracle benchmark :  $1,904,137

FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
storage, service and warranty) used in Informix benchmark : $1,781,042

FACT: Informix achieved 13,646.17 transactions per minute

FACT: Oracle achieved 11,456.13 transactions per minute

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Perry Dilla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:}>>>>>>>>> Perry's response to David Sidwell <<<<<<<<<<

Get a life Sidwell.  Informix kicks Oracle *all day long.
Forget all the speed and builtin, not bolt-on, paralellism
and multi-threading.  Informix is way easier to setup and
administer than Oracle.  I'd buy it just for that reason alone.
Oh yeah, it also uses less machine resources so I don't have to
spend a tonne on memory, I can spend a little extra on another
CPU or two since Informix can utilize memory better, and I get
more paralellism with more CPU's.

This is a moot discussion.  Oracle is more interested in building
internet devices than providing real databases anyway.  Informix
has nothing to worry about.

Informix is the best.  I said it, you heard it, that settles it!

} Date: 27 Mar 96 08:57:25 -0800

} Subject: Re: Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

}
}
} Billy,
}
[...]

-perryd (Guru)

= Perry Dillard - Chief Architect       Direct Dial: (206)517-6430 =
= FourGen Software, Inc.                        FAX: (206)522-0054 =
= FourGen Building                    Tech. Support: (800)444-3398 =
= 115 NE 100th Street                         Sales: (800)333-4436 =
= Seattle, W.A.  98125-8098                                        =
=                                                                  =

=                                                                  =
= Home Page: http://www.veryComputer.com/;         =

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Joe Lumbl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

APOLOGY for my last posting!!!!!!

In the previous posting I referred to an "attack-dog" attitude on the part
of certain Oracle employees.  After thinking about it and reading the
posts again, I feel that I must apologize for posting this.

All (fellow) owners of Rottweilers, Dobermans, and German Shepherds, I
apologize profusely for the slanderous comparison.        :)

Joe "I like attack dogs" Lumbley

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by David Sidwel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Get a life Sidwell.  Informix kicks Oracle *all day long.

A useful and obviously unbiased comment Dillard :)

[snip - much *cut for brevity]

Quote:

> This is a moot discussion.  Oracle is more interested in building
> internet devices than providing real databases anyway.  Informix
> has nothing to worry about.

?  Oracle does not *build* internet devices.  Internet s/w yes.

Quote:> Informix is the best.  I said it, you heard it, that settles it!

You wrote it, I read it, it obviously settles nothing. Oops, forgot the
exclamation point !!!

Quote:

> -perryd (Guru)

Obviously dillusional !

Quote:> ====================================================================
> = Perry Dillard - Chief Architect       Direct Dial: (206)517-6430 =

I hope your code design is better than your debating skills !

P.S.  Another sad newsgroup reader who would rather flame than eduacate...

---- End of Message ----

Post by David Sidwe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > Isn't it *ever* so strange that you failed to comment on the reason
for my post
> > in the first place - to set the record straight about relative costs.
The post
> > I responded to appeared to have a blatant lie regarding cost of the Oracle
> > system vs. the cost of the informix one. Hence my post.

> FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
> storage, service and warranty) used in Oracle benchmark :  $1,904,137

> FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
> storage, service and warranty) used in Informix benchmark : $1,781,042

> FACT: Informix achieved 13,646.17 transactions per minute

> FACT: Oracle achieved 11,456.13 transactions per minute

Interesting facts.  Without looking at the full disclosure reports
I cannot dispute them.

DEDUCTION: This leaves the fact that Informix s/w costs the customer
much more (in license and support?):

Informix system cost
--------------------
 $3,779,942  - $1,781,042 = $1,998,900
(total cost)   (h/w cost)  (Informix s/w cost)

Oracle system cost
------------------
 $3,276,416  - $1,904,137 = $1,372,279

So, the cost of ownership of Oracle s/w is significantly lower. :)

Or to put it another way, the cost of ownership of Informix s/w is
almost %50 higher than that of Oracle.

P.S.  thanks for clarifying the h/w cost - I see that my first post
was in error as I had attributed the increased cost of the Informix
solution to h/w costs.  It simply had not occured to me that the
cost of an Informix solution could be more than $600,000 more than
a comparable Oracle system.

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Joe Lumbl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Mr Sidwell,

I'm interested in the fact that you do not put the standard disclaimer
about not speaking for your company on your posts.  Does this mean that
you are the official Oracle spokesman?

I purchase and handle problems with Informix, Oracle, Sybase, and SQL SERVER
database engines, and I'll admit that I've sometimes had problems deciding
which engine to choose for special projects.  Your input as an official
Oracle spokesman may be very helpful for **all** of us here in c.d.i.

I propose the following database decision rule:

        If you want chest-beating, word-play, and sniping, choose Oracle.
        If you want performance, professionalism, and cordiality,
             choose Informix.

Your attack-dog attitude will totally mask any valid contributions that you
may add to the discussion.  Even when you may be telling the truth, I for
one will have to evaluate it in light of the professionalism of your
approach.

Joe (not speaking for anyone but myself) Lumbley

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Dave Watso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Mr. Sidwell,

Please read the original press release.

1) Faster - Informix achieved a higher transaction rate

        13646 tpmC compared to 11456 tpmC

2) Cheaper - Informix achieved better price/performance

        $276.93/tpmC compared to $285.80/tpmC

3) Better - Informix has more functionality than Oracle in the core RDBMS
product used for the benchmark. This includes:

        - Client/Server Connectivity
        - Distributed Transactions
        - Transparent Two Phase Commit
        - TP Monitor (XA) Compliance
        - Distributed Queries
        - Remote Stored Procedure Calls
        - High Availability Replication (Asynchronous and Synchronous)
        - Parallel Query
        - Parallel Index Creation
        - Parallel Load and Unload
        - Parallel Insert
        - Secure Auditing
        - 64-bit Very Large Memory Support

All of these features (and many more) are included in the standard OnLine
engine. It is my understanding that these features are only provided in
optional modules for the Oracle engine. Perhaps you would care to tell us
the list price for an Oracle client/server RDBMS configuration with the
above set of features enabled.

> > FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
> > storage, service and warranty) used in Oracle benchmark :  $1,904,137

> > FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
> > storage, service and warranty) used in Informix benchmark : $1,781,042

> > FACT: Informix achieved 13,646.17 transactions per minute

> > FACT: Oracle achieved 11,456.13 transactions per minute

> Interesting facts.  Without looking at the full disclosure reports
> I cannot dispute them.

> DEDUCTION: This leaves the fact that Informix s/w costs the customer
> much more (in license and support?):

> Informix system cost
> --------------------
>  $3,779,942  - $1,781,042 = $1,998,900
> (total cost)   (h/w cost)  (Informix s/w cost)

> Oracle system cost
> ------------------
>  $3,276,416  - $1,904,137 = $1,372,279

> So, the cost of ownership of Oracle s/w is significantly lower. :)

> Or to put it another way, the cost of ownership of Informix s/w is
> almost %50 higher than that of Oracle.

> P.S.  thanks for clarifying the h/w cost - I see that my first post
> was in error as I had attributed the increased cost of the Informix
> solution to h/w costs.  It simply had not occured to me that the
> cost of an Informix solution could be more than $600,000 more than
> a comparable Oracle system.

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Billy Wheele » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> > -perryd (Guru)

> Obviously dillusional !

Obviously delusional, surely?

Quote:> I hope your code design is better than your debating skills !

I hope your code design is better than your spelling and grammar! :->

Quote:> P.S.  Another sad newsgroup reader who would rather flame than eduacate...

Takes one to know one, I guess.
--

Cheers,

Billy

    Work: +27 11 803 2151
     Fax: +27 11 803 2189
    Cell: +27 83 250 2324

----------

Sent:  Wednesday, March 27, 1996 4:22 PM

> > Isn't it *ever* so strange that you failed to comment on the reason
for my post
> > in the first place - to set the record straight about relative costs.
The post
> > I responded to appeared to have a blatant lie regarding cost of the Oracle
> > system vs. the cost of the informix one. Hence my post.

> FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
> storage, service and warranty) used in Oracle benchmark :  $1,904,137

> FACT: 5 year cost of Digital AlphaServer 8400/350 hardware (including
> storage, service and warranty) used in Informix benchmark : $1,781,042

> FACT: Informix achieved 13,646.17 transactions per minute

> FACT: Oracle achieved 11,456.13 transactions per minute

Interesting facts.  Without looking at the full disclosure reports
I cannot dispute them.

DEDUCTION: This leaves the fact that Informix s/w costs the customer
much more (in license and support?):

Informix system cost
--------------------
 $3,779,942  - $1,781,042 = $1,998,900
(total cost)   (h/w cost)  (Informix s/w cost)

Oracle system cost
------------------
 $3,276,416  - $1,904,137 = $1,372,279

So, the cost of ownership of Oracle s/w is significantly lower. :)

Quote:>> I HIGHLY doubt this....based on experiences of people who have been using both.

Or to put it another way, the cost of ownership of Informix s/w is
almost %50 higher than that of Oracle.

P.S.  thanks for clarifying the h/w cost - I see that my first post
was in error as I had attributed the increased cost of the Informix
solution to h/w costs.  It simply had not occured to me that the
cost of an Informix solution could be more than $600,000 more than
a comparable Oracle system.

Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

Post by Joe Lumbl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Mr. Sidwell,

: Please read the original press release.

Come on Dave, you're preaching to the choir.  The choir members are listening
and learning, but Sidwell's already admitted he hasn't bothered to read the
music    :)

Some things are hopeless and some people are too dense to be educated.
Since you've presented the facts in a way that can't be refuted except by
improving their product performance, the typical Oracle next step is to
start whining that "the benchmarks aren't fair".

I think they **really do** have a "how to strut sitting down" course.

Joe  :)

Post by Robert Mint » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

* > Get a life Sidwell.  Informix kicks Oracle *all day long.
* >
*
* A useful and obviously unbiased comment Dillard :)
*
* [snip - much *cut for brevity]
*
* > -perryd (Guru)
*
* Obviously dillusional !
*
If all you are going to do is <cut> down any comment then why don't you just
<cut> out.  Some of us are paying for these totally rediculous and stupid
threads.  Of course their unbiased. This is, by the way, the INFORMIX news
group.  Just, please keep it down...

     Robert Minter                                  Data Systems Support
Senior Software Engineer                        A Client Technologies Company

#include <disclaimer.h>                              Fax: 714.771.3028
De Colores - Emmaus OC-13