SCO Kernel Parameters and Onconfig parameters

SCO Kernel Parameters and Onconfig parameters

Post by David Vosbur » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:30:36

I am currently setting up an instance of IDS 7.3 workgroup on a SCO 5.05
platform. We will probably have at most 25 users connected to a transaction
logged database. I am looking for a good reference for proper kernel and
Onconfig settings for a setup like this. The server that I will use will
have a minimum of 1 gig of ram and a single one gigahertz processor. I have
some kernel settings that a former employee where I work had obtained. I
don't know where he got these parameters from and I don't know if they are
correct.

I also want to make sure that I am setting up some of the parameters in
Onconfig correctly. I have gotten several instances up and running, but have
not tested them under a heavy user load.

SCO Kernel Parameters and Onconfig parameters

Post by stev » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 04:49:31

Just modify file /etc/..../stune as the release notes. Then rebuild the
kernel and restart. It is OK. 25 is not a big number for IDS 7.3 on sco.

Steve.

Quote:> I am currently setting up an instance of IDS 7.3 workgroup on a SCO 5.05

Post by Gary Quirin » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 23:52:09

Quote:>I am currently setting up an instance of IDS 7.3 workgroup on a SCO 5.05
>platform. We will probably have at most 25 users connected to a transaction
>logged database. I am looking for a good reference for proper kernel and
>Onconfig settings for a setup like this. The server that I will use will
>have a minimum of 1 gig of ram and a single one gigahertz processor. I have
>some kernel settings that a former employee where I work had obtained. I
>don't know where he got these parameters from and I don't know if they are
>correct.

>I also want to make sure that I am setting up some of the parameters in
>Onconfig correctly. I have gotten several instances up and running, but have
>not tested them under a heavy user load.

Issues that I have had with OpenServer 505 is vhand.  If you get too much disk
I/O vhand will eat up all of your recsources due to a bug in memory management.
The init.o from a 506 kernel fixes the problem.

Gary Quiring

SCO Kernel Parameters and Onconfig parameters

Post by DJW » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:14:22

Quote:> Issues that I have had with OpenServer 505 is vhand.  If you get too much
disk
> I/O vhand will eat up all of your recsources due to a bug in memory
management.
> The init.o from a 506 kernel fixes the problem.

  Can you give me more info e.g.

  -  a bug number from SCO
  - how to check if I am hitting this problem on a
    server?

  I have found a 5.05 server which is very slow
  on I/O which makes no sense!

Quote:> Gary Quiring