problem using JDBC proxy as applet

Post by Mike Sege » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,

[SNIP]

Uhmm, I responded to Carl on the IIUG linux thread and off line.

I recommended using serialized objects and doing a 3 tier approach.
This way he could see if its the applet, the server app, or the JDBC connection
which is causing the problem.

IMHO if you are going to do something like this, then you would want
to do an applet to a server side application, that connects to the database.

Not having Informix's implementation of the JDBC in front of me,
I don't know if the "proxy" method is a standard part of the sql interface.
Thus I'd be hesitant to use it.

Since Informix is here, maybe the author of the JDBC methods could
elaborate on the method.

Methinks the real problem lies in that the JVM sees the server differently, thus
it thinks its a violation of the security rules. (Applets can't connect to any machine
except the machine that launched them.) This means bad host file/dns/rdns, etc ...

Just out of curiousity, is there anyone who has been certified?
Did anyone take the 1.2 test?
Anyone go for the developer certification yet?

-Mikey